Jolls

Alcohol... anyone attemped yet?

With summer approaching in another month or four (damn Minnesota) my mind keeps thinking about the lovely slushies I used to make last year with crystal light and lemonade flavored vodka.  Its about 1cup alcohol and 6cups water in a batch so the amnt of alchol you get in a glass isn't too much BUT I know we are not supposed to do alcohol!!

So just wondering if anyone has braved it yet and how long you waited to do so.

Edited by Jolls

The other day i was researching the calories in vodka and I noticed that they said that flavored vodka had lots of sugar added  -- not sure that this is true for lemon vodka, but you might want to check on that.

My surgeon says no alcohol for a year, but that may not be the case with yours.

Edited by MJreadyforaChange

Guilty ... Had a bourbon sour, took an hour to drink it(I use to drink one of those in about 15 min) it was delicious, overly sweet but still enjoyable. I definitely felt it too...overall no side effects except for those empty calories

That's my sticking point, the empty calories.  Work too hard to lose, and feel why drink something that's so high in calories?  Almost 10 months out and haven't had any alcohol yet and honestly, don't miss it either.

Had one teeny tiny sip of wine, and it gave me such a buzz. I know to stay far away from alcohol now...it just wouldn't be good for me!

I have zero intentions of drinking anything alcoholic until I go on vacation next January.  I used to get buzzed the moment I got off the plane, and I stayed like that until I got back on the plane to go home a week (sometimes two weeks) later.  But now, I'm going to have to get half size drinks I think, and sip very slowly, or just have it at the pool bar so I can floaty around while I sip.

Never been a big drinker though, so the urge hasn't really struck me.  I don't even consider a drink until I leave the country lol.

Yep...I have had flavored vodka and wine and had no ill-effects. I admit that it feels much different post op when I drink and I know I need to be careful. I enjoy that relaxed feeling all too much.

I am pregnant now so no drinking anymore.  But I did have a few drinks around the holidays so 3 months post op for me.  And on vacation I enjoyed some slushy drinks while on the beach.  I have had wine, beer, rum, and tequila.  Nothing bothered me.  I only drank enough to buzz one time and then knew that wasn't the best idea.  Funny part about when I was on vacation (both vacations) I still lost weight even though I ate/drank how I wanted.  I still couldn't eat or drink very much, but my tool continued to work for me.  I think as long as we don't over-do it we are fine!  But I do agree with the others, you have to decide what is worth it.  I have been in many social situations and I chose not to tell the world of my surgery...so I have sipped on a Blue Moon (yum) at a bar with friends and I had some Miami Vices on the beach with friends.  Just have to decide for yourself and make the best of your decision!

Well slushie season is a ways off here, was just a thought going through my mind so I was curious.   If I could find a way to freeze crystal light without it becoming completely solid, I couldn't care less if I had actual alcohol, truth be told. 

Mix your Crystal Light in a blender with 1/2 water and 1/2 ice that will make your slush!

Mix your Crystal Light in a blender with 1/2 water and 1/2 ice that will make your slush!

I've tried that, it just makes a gloppy mess, or snow with no flavor cause the liquid doesn't stay on it.  I've tried various measurements of water to ice and it never works.  Works perfectly for sugar koolaid...  but not non-sugar drinks.

Well I went out with some friends tonight for a birthday drink, my first one since the surgery.  I had a vodka-cranberry.  I was really nervous truth be told because I was warned how differently alcohol effects you after surgery and that it won't take much to fill the effects and whatnot... well...  I must say it realy wasn't any different then before surgery.  Maybe it is is still because I'm still at a high weight that there was little effect or maybe its another thing that doesn't really apply to sleeve vs bypass.  Anyway, I still only had one drink regardless but just thought I'd mention the fact that there was little difference pre and post surgery after all..... for me at least.

I just bought  a slushy maker from Walmart. I haven't used it so I am not sure how well it works, but it may be worth a try for your Crystal light.

My Dr. told me a couple  sips could make me drunk and it also could make a person alcoholic. I was only drinking a couple beers around August every year anyway. So to not drink is not a big deal for me.

I would love to have a light beer over the summer during a BBQ but am nervous that I would transfer one addiction to another. I am fearful that I would like the feeling so much that I would want to drink more than occassionally. I am 5 months post op from gastric bypass and have not tried alcohol yet. I use to love a nice glass or wine, bottle of beer or even a rum and coke.

I've never been a big drinker, so the urge to knock back a cold one really doesn't usually come over me. On vacation I have drank in the past (total chick drinks, like piña colada) but not very much any other time. I can count on my fingers how many drinks I have a year, typically.

That said, I tried a rum & coke a couple weeks ago and was alarmed when my forehead went numb like two sips in. I thought I could get one drink and nurse it to fit in...that didn't work. At all.

They did tell me I'd feel the effects much more quickly after surgery if i chose to imbibe. And that really drove the point home.

I will be very cautious if I choose to have another drink at any point in the future. I'm just not cut out for drinking.

Edit: I might try a wine cooler if anything. I think it's probably my best bet, overall.

Edited by Dees

I'm not a doctor so I'm not sure; but wouldn't Alcohol poisoning be more of a concern then getting drunk or empty calories?

My surgeon said okay to red wine in moderation when I asked him at my six month visit. The biggest problem is what the alcohol does to your liver. We RNYers no longer have a filter, so the alcohol goes right to the liver. And then there' the issue of empty calories and getting tipsy quickly. I also understood that beer could cause the same issue with its bubbles that soda does, and the chick drinks are loaded with sugar. So...for myself I stick with the little bit of red wine every once in a while. Every doctor and every body is different, of course.

I have tried wine and a margarita and am 3 years out and after 2 sips it burns in my tummy so drinking is a no go for me. I was never a big drinker so it has not been a big deal for me.

I like the occasional glass of wine, but I know me well enough that if I'm told "never again", I'll want it 100 times worse! lol  Thankfully, I can't stand beer.

I seldom drink, especially since I have such a sensitivity to sugar. If I do drink, I like to stick to a glass of red wine (It's a myth that alcohol has sugar in it, it's the mixers the have sugar). Although I had to drink hard liquor shots when I went to a  Korea-- the Koreans really love their strong alcohol. When I do drink, I get an immediate buzz and it wears off extremely fast. Some folks seen to be dramatically affected by alcohol post-op while others don't feel any different that pre-op.

Here is a detailed description of my first drinking experience.

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/blog/1371/entry-4741-a-night-of-drinking-and-debauchery/

Oh, and I agree with the folks above that we must be careful about how MUCH we drink because alcohol can have detrimental effects on the liver. When we undergo a major surgery, our liver takes a huge hit to help us heal. It takes a another major hit when we take medications (like those we need after our surgery... and others since we process them differently after bypass) AND rapid weight loss really taxes the liver. Then, you add to that the fact that our newly routed system no longer processes alcohol the way it used to and depends on the liver to an unnatural extent now. I have seen MANY posts about a post-op landing themselves in the hospital with alcohol poisoning (usually young adults).