JRH

Diabetes

I have had diabetes, possibly due to Agent Orange, since the early 1980s. It didn't require oral meds until 1988. When I started seriously strength training, I perforce increased my protein intake greatly and cut carbs and fat a lot, and my average blood sugars (A1C) fell to near normal levels.

For a while I came off meds.

Fast forward to 2010, and with my obesity, terrible food habits, and my pancreas deciding to quite making insulin completely, I ended up dependent on insulin. But I've always known I could reduce my need for it somewhat through diet and losing weight.

So what I expect is when I drop 100 pounds, I will need very little insulin. Part of that because of the food I am, and am not, eating I'm sure.

That's going to be nice. VA provides most of my meds but I quit getting insulin from them because its a pain to drive to the VA Medical Center to pick it up. So I get it on my private insurance, and at least my co-pays are not too bad. But I'll like getting fewer refills for sure.

What about anyone else? Anyone have some time out after WLS and seen a change in blood sugars?

I am preop on a liquid diet and I got off insulin. Looking forward to surgery to get off the oral meds.

I am preop on a liquid diet and I got off insulin. Looking forward to surgery to get off the oral meds.

Wow! Off insulin with your pre-op diet alone?! That is wonderful!! Fingers crossed you will continue to have improvement with surgery:)

Yes thank you I'm so excited and nervous at the same time.

I'm pre-op for 1 week, 1 more to go. My diabetes is not well controlled hence resorting to surgery. I was running sugars in the 300s and 400s and after 1 week on pre-op my sugars are near normal. I will probably be cutting my oral doses in half during the next week if the trend continues.

I'm Preop and praying that I will be free of all Diabetes meds after surgery.  I take 4 shots a day now.  Been on insulin for three years.

FWIW I am on high dosage of U-500 insulin due to insulin resistance. I am sure I will have to watch my sugars when I start the pre op diet Monday. I am hoping to eventually just take oral meds after surgery. Only time will tell.

My fasting BS has usually been about 160, no insulin, prior to surgery, but this past year, my BS skyrocketed.

Day of surgery, fasting 268, and they gave me insulin all through my hospital stay.

One week after surgery: 168

Two weeks: 147

At my one week post op appointment, I was disappointed that the BS hadn't resolved, and my surgeon chided me and said, good grief, give it a month or two! :)

I'm hoping.

Just cutting out the simple carbs and upping the protein in my pre op diet has really cut the amount of insulin required. I’m taking about a 1/3 of what I was a week ago

I have been diabetic for about 4 years now. I got committed to eating healthier and exercising and was really happy with getting my sugars near normal for a good while with just taking 1/2 my prescribed meds but then just like most people I fell back to my old habits and the past 6 months have been difficult in getting my sugars under control. I have first hand knowledge of seeing my parents and my grandparents deal with the disease and can only hope my surgery provides me a fighting chance to live a longer and healthier life without diebetes. I am only 2.5 weeks out and nervous but hopeful too that I overcome this disease.

I would like to quote you but I cant.^^^^

just so you know. WLS will control diabetes but you are NEVER cured.

I went from massive amounts of insulin and metformin to no insulin and metformin. but my sugars are not great.

post op my morning sugars were 130ish now they are 160ish. we are adding another oral med but I am not hopeful.

I was reading about diabetes remission vs. Cure the other day. Apparently if you have normal blood sugars for a year they consider it a cure. I had been on oral diabetes medication for almost ten years and haven't had anything since coming home from the hospital. My pre-op fasting blood sugars were 145ish, now each morning my numbers are in the 80's. I feel like by body loves not being diabetic, even for being a light weight, I lost 18 pounds the first month! Feeling blessed and grateful.

I was borderline type 2  before surgery and my primary care doc was about to start prescribing meds, and that was the major motivator for getting the GB surgery.  I was already on 3 blood pressure meds and I didn't want to start another batch of pills.

2 weeks after surgery I came off the BP meds and am no longer borderline diabetic.   

Just an update, I am a little over 2 weeks post op and I have stopped taking my meds for diabetes and my numbers are always in the normal range when I check. I go in and see my primary care dr next week and can't wait to see her reaction. It is just incredible how much more energy I have now that my sugars are under control and only can hope this remains a permanent positive change in my life.

How does one take pills immediately after surgery?

I took pills immediately after surgery. Like 8 hours after surgery, actually. 

My metformin 1000mg was d/c'd right after surgery and i have not taken since then. Fastings upper 60's. Excited to see A1c in Feb. 3 months post op.

FWIW I am back to injections now

right after surgery my sugars were 130ish.

they went to 150ish and my Endo added Genuvia to my meds.

sugars are now 160ish and she has switched me back from Genuvia to Byduron, a weekly injection.

I took it last night and although it takes a while, this mornings sugar was 180!

I had Type II, prior to surgery my A1C was at its highest a 13.9. a week pre op it was 7.9  today it's 4.8 or so. the surgery works. no more diabetes. as a matter of fact my doctor took me off Metformin 3 months post op  

unfortunately I had bloodwork done this morning and my A1c was up and my endo wants me on insulin again.

I was hoping to be done with it but no joy..

My A1C was 12 before surgery and my sugars were in the 250 range due to bad diet. They wanted me to go on insulin but I was always too scared. Had the surgery(gastric bypass) four weeks ago. Numbers have gone down to an average of about 150. This is with no meds. Lowest it got was 132 highest was 199 but that was much higher than the usual.