• Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:350
  • Current Weight:213
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32
  • Surgery Date:11/21/2013
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

I read about these "bullets" and decided to check them out. Yep, they are the real deal.

2.8 ounces of liquid, 100% Whey Isolate, 0 carbs, 0 fat, 134 calories, 42 grams of whey protein !

supplementfacts_zpsb92e6f38.gif

http://bulletnutrition.com/medical/

Only bad thing is, there is such a high demand for it, they are out of stock right now. I registered an account with them and sent them a message asking them to let me know when they had stock again.

I found this in a credible book on being successful with a gastric sleeve, and found enough good references in my google search to give credence to it. I'll try it as soon as I can get some.

JR

Edited by JRH, 23 March 2013 - 08:13 AM.

weight.png

#2 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,462 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

They aren't pure whey protein isolate.  The main protein is casein

Ingredients (11):
Water Purified, Biopeptide (Proprietary Blend of Casein Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate) , Malic Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Citric Acid, Berry(ies) Mixed Natural, Sucralose, Sodium Benzoate To Preserve Freshness, Potassium Sorbate To Preserve Freshness

For a VSG patient, that probably isn't an issue but for a gastric bypass patient, we need to be looking for a whey or soy protein isolate.  Casein digests slower than whey protein so that's not ideal with a bypass.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#3 JRH

JRH

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jeffrey Small
  • Hospital:Meritus Bariatric Surgery Center

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

They aren't pure whey protein isolate.  The main protein is casein

For a VSG patient, that probably isn't an issue but for a gastric bypass patient, we need to be looking for a whey or soy protein isolate.  Casein digests slower than whey protein so that's not ideal with a bypass.

It may be the main protein is casein, but you don't know for sure. You may be parroting what someone said on another forum, or blog. Not picking on you, just saying....

From the website:

Ingredients: Purified water, (Proprietary blend of Biopeptide, casein protein isolate, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE), malic acid, phosphoric acid, citric acid, natural mixed berry, sucralose, sodium benzoate (less than 0.1%) to preserve freshness, potassium sorbate (less than 0.1%) to preserve freshness

There is clearly casein in it, but no way to know how much, since the 3 components are inside (...) meaning they aren't saying.

Consider, whey is cheaper than casein, and it can be ground more finely, and dissolved more easily, and isolate is pre-digested so it gets picked up in the small intestine easily, getting around the problem of a small stomach pouch. Since it is cheaper than casein to buy in bulk, I would guess they use it as a big percentage of the (....) if only to minimize production cost.

And you are right, in regards to a VSG patient, except that if casein is the primary component, the small VSG pouch stomach would not be able to digest the casein and it would pass through undigested, and so unabsorbed. So there are for sure questions about it, but also pretty good anecdotal evidence this product is well tolerated and effective. If my surgeon says no, then of course, that will be a big no. :D

When I messaged them about being notified when it was available again, I also asked for the percentage of whey isolate, and whatever they reply, I will report it by pasting it in this topic, word for word.

weight.png

#4 BugdocMom

BugdocMom

TT Master

• Community Mentor
  • 6,172 posts
  • LocationMenifee, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Coon
  • Hospital:Parkview, Riverside, CA
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:238
  • Current Weight:123
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.1
  • Surgery Date:5/31/2011

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hi JR, Cinwa is 100% right about these bullets... the protein in them is not 100% Whey protein isolate. As she explained, they cannot have 100% Whey protein because they also have casein protein. So at least SOME percentage of the protein they provide is not of superior quality. And, since the FDA requires all ingredients to be listed on the label and listed in order of predominance-- with the ingredients used in the greatest amount first, followed in descending order by those in smaller amounts, that means that, as Cinwa stated, the Whey isolate is NOT the main protein (we can deduce it makes up the least amount of the protein in the product based on the label). While it may not make too much of a difference to sleeve patients, this can be a real issue for bypass folks so it is certainly worth clearing up. I think it's great that you have taken the initiative to contact the company to get the real scoop, but it is worth considering that the company (and its website) is charged with making the product sound as best it can so it will sell. They often do that through little tricks like saying the product contains ONLY isolate when it, in fact, contains more than one form of protein which would technically be a blend. Companies also tend to present information as if it is based on unbiased scientific studies when that is often not the case. I don't know how far this company goes with those sorts of tricks because I haven't looked too deep into their shots since they are clearly not 100% whey protein isolate so they would not fit into my program. As far as I know, there are only two bullets currently on the market made with 100% whey protein isolate. New Whey and another brand I can't recall off the top of my head.

Also, you can rest assured that Cinwa was certainly not "parroting" any information obtained from a website or blog. As you can see, Cinwa has posted over 21,000 times in her time with the Thinner Times Community. She is a community leader and staff member and is very conscientious about the info she provides to fellow community members. I, personally, have the utmost respect for the information she provides and feel confident that any info she contributes to a thread is pretty darn solid. Sounds like you are going the distance to do the research needed to make good decisions with your sleeve. I am really curious to see what their response is. In the meantime, if you are really looking for a good 100% Whey Protein Isolate bullet, try the New Whey. Not sure how it tastes, though. The idea of bullets in general just make me gag, LOL.

#5 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,462 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

It may be the main protein is casein, but you don't know for sure. You may be parroting what someone said on another forum, or blog. Not picking on you, just saying....

I do know for sure JRH - Labeling laws in the US are very strict - ingredients have to be listed in order weight, highest to lowest:  

U.S. FDA Labeling Law 21 CFR 101.4:  http://www.accessdat...ch.cfm?fr=101.4

Sec. 101.4 Food; designation of ingredients.
(a)(1) Ingredients required to be declared on the label or labeling of a food, including foods that comply with standards of identity, except those ingredients exempted by 101.100, shall be listed by common or usual name in descending order of predominance by weight on either the principal display panel or the information panel in accordance with the provisions of 101.2, ....

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#6 JRH

JRH

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jeffrey Small
  • Hospital:Meritus Bariatric Surgery Center

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

Yes, but the law you cite only applies to foods, none of the "shot" protein or energy concoctions are foods, by FDA definition, so they can hide proprietary blend percentages inside (.........)  without listing them or even making order listed significant, as long as they list the components of the blend.

That is a problem, and some have called for extending 21 CFR 101.4 to protein drinks and powders. But as of today no such change has been made.

So you do not know the percentages, and you have no way of knowing the percentages, because FDA food label regulations do not apply.

Edited by JRH, 25 March 2013 - 04:39 AM.

weight.png

#7 BugdocMom

BugdocMom

TT Master

• Community Mentor
  • 6,172 posts
  • LocationMenifee, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Coon
  • Hospital:Parkview, Riverside, CA
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:238
  • Current Weight:123
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.1
  • Surgery Date:5/31/2011

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Yes, but the law you cite only applies to foods, none of the "shot" protein or energy concoctions are foods, by FDA definition, so they can hide proprietary blend percentages inside (.........)  without listing them or even making order listed significant, as long as they list the components of the blend.

FDA food label regulations do not apply.

I generally dislike participating in threads once they tend toward a feeling of argument. But I think it's really important to make sure the folks getting their information on this site can be confident what they are getting accurate. Since you did not include citations or links to support your rebuttal and claim that these products are not subject to FDA label regulations, I looked a little further into it. I found that, you are right that these shots specifically are defined as "dietary supplements." Dietary supplements are still covered under FDA "food labeling"  laws but are regulated under a different set of guidelines than "conventional foods." The rules for supplements are very similar to those for conventional foods (ingredients listed in order of weight, highest to lowest) and the most recent revision of labeling laws (April 2012) for dietary supplements spells out the method for listing proprietary ingredients as such:

(2) Dietary ingredients contained in the proprietary blend that are listed under paragraph (B)(3) of this section (i.e., "other dietary ingredients") shall be declared in descending order of predominance by weight, in a column or linear fashion, and indented under the term "Proprietary Blend" or other appropriately descriptive term or fanciful name.

http://www.fda.gov/F...nts/default.htm

http://www.accessdat...h.cfm?fr=101.36

http://www.fda.gov/F...ide/default.htm

http://www.fda.gov/f...s/ucm050803.htm

But, regardless of all the information we are passing back and forth (which certainly educates us all-- and maybe even burns off a few calories, bringing us closer to our goal weights;)), the simple fact remains that these shots cannot possibly be provide 100% Whey protein Isolate because they clearly state that the protein contained is from more than one source.

#8 Riss

Riss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs
  • Surgeon:Dr. Rothchild
  • Hospital:UCH
  • Height (ft-in):5-01
  • Start Weight:285
  • Current Weight:195
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):36.8
  • Surgery Date:02/19/2013

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I tried half of one and was super excited about it.

I ended up having diharrea (something I haven't had since before my surgery), foamies, and a small amount of nausea.  I got the fruit punch flavor and it tasted like unset jello.  My tastebuds have changed TONS since my surgery and I wasn't a huge fan. 

weight.png

#9 Lizz65

Lizz65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • Surgeon:Dr. Khan
  • Hospital:Emory at Johns Creek
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:240
  • Current Weight:220
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:03/05/2013

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I've used them and still do. The taste is aweful, way too seet. I often wonder who the taste testers are for sme of thesee products. The shots are not made for sipping. You really have top shoot them down with a water chaser.:) You can buy then on Amazon

#10 DianaS

DianaS

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationDFW Area
  • Surgeon:Dr. Hodges
  • Hospital:Forest Park
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:221
  • Current Weight:138
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:03/20/2013

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

Bariatric Advantage does sell a shot (Yes Whey) that is made from 100% whey isolate.  They are a bit pricey and I think you have to order them online for now, but they have 25g of protein in less than 3 oz.