Craigb

Weight lifting

I used to lift weights regularly but had switched over to mostly cardio for the past year due to the weight. Is anyone out there an avid lifter and if so, hoe long before you could go back to serious workouts after RNY surgery? Thanks in advance. I'm scheduled for my RNY on 3/25/13 and can't wait.

Interesting question. I was doing heavy strength training up until 2008 when it just became too painful in my knees, left shoulder/elbow, and back to continue. Too many times jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, for one thing. One too many streamers that opened up 600 feet off the ground for another.

I would think a year after you would be fine. Whatever your doc says. When VA replaces my knees (Chief of Orthopedic Surgery told me point blank, if I loose 100 pounds he will do both my knees in a heartbeat) I will probably start swimming on them after 4 months and treadmill on them after 6.

But I have no clue about the RNY and how long before weightlifting again. I'm certain your doc does though, its not like its the first time s/he has been asked. :)

At about one year I started to really work on my upper body. Before that it was all cardio and getting in shape. Now I focusing on filling in the loose skin arm skin with lean muscle. I understand it was cause me to gain some muscle weight, but I pretty much bottomed out and I am very comfortable with were I am.

I used to lift weights regularly but had switched over to mostly cardio for the past year due to the weight. Is anyone out there an avid lifter and if so, hoe long before you could go back to serious workouts after RNY surgery? Thanks in advance. I'm scheduled for my RNY on 3/25/13 and can't wait.

You should always follow your physicans advice. That being as my answer is as soon as you feel ready and probably before. I started working out within 3 days of post op

Gang, thanks for the great stories and info. I'll make sure I limit myself to the cardio room only for quite some time. Appreciate the input

Craig

At about one year I started to really work on my upper body. Before that it was all cardio and getting in shape. Now I focusing on filling in the loose skin arm skin with lean muscle. I understand it was cause me to gain some muscle weight, but I pretty much bottomed out and I am very comfortable with were I am.

You might gain some muscle weight, but people overestimate muscle weight. Unless you are in the 1% at the extreme body building end, your muscle weight won't increase more than a few pounds total.

You can increase size by a couple inches, like biceps, quadriceps, soleus, triceps, deltoids. a few others. But there are a roughly a dozen in the upper body alone that show in a lean body and 3/4 of them are a total bear to develop, even by a dedicated bodybuilder using isolated muscle exercise machines.

But by all means strength train, and be happy with the increased muscle mass you can develop, because the more muscle you have, the higher your sitting/sleeping calorie burn rate is, and the more the body will burn fat to keep it repaired.

Of course, there are provisos. When you train muscles hard enough to matter, the muscle cells develop microscopic tears. It is the repair of those tears which causes the body to expend more energy on repairing muscle, and here is the magic, adding muscle so the next time it will be stronger when you use it. Also, this will not work without astronomical levels of protein and you need a time release protein at bedtime because this is when the body tends to want to store fat instead of build muscle, and the protein helps change this process.

More provisos. If you really want to train hard enough to develop more muscle mass, you have to combat acids and enzymes which are generated immediately after working out, in response to muscle cell tearing. You body uses a chemical called creatine to help combat this, and whey protein helps dissipate them, and there are many specific after-workout concoctions which do a good job too. You can supplement creatine, by making a creatine powder in water drink right after working out, or doing one upon waking and before sleeping to develop higher levels of creatine in your body.

But, you can skip all this and still make some difference in strength and stamina, and even see some new bulges in better places, but it will be 3 steps forward and 1 step back type of gains, since your body would literally rather kill you than let you destroy its precious fat cells and use them as fuel to repair / build muscles.

WLS is phenomenal in that it forces the body to burn fat cells because you always eat your proteins first, your greens second, and then carbs, so you usually can't eat many carbs if you stick to the plan. So the weight comes off super fast, and though the body is screaming (and hence, many side effects) about it, and eat some muscle trying to maintain fat levels, it cannot destroy muscle fast enough because it takes tons of energy to eat muscle, and so you get to 50% weight loss levels before much damage is done.

Edited by JRH

Today I sold my big Bowflex Revolution to a fellow soldier for about half what it is worth, but enough that I can now afford all my pre-op and post-op pantry stocking.

Or maybe I'll just buy a big screen TV :lol:

Good thing he brought a friend, a big pickup, and a trailer, because it took an hour to partially take it apart enough to get it out of my basement and filled up the trailer, the bed of the truck and the jump seat too.

I imagine he will get good use out of it, his house will fall down before it will ever wear out.

@Craigb

There is a discussion under this forum called"ask a body builder" I think thats what is called great info and work out routines from the guy. Just an fyi

JRH nailed it with his post. Lots of solid info there. Just as an fyi I can't take creatine it makes me sick so if this happens to be the case for you don't dispair brother!!! You can still make great gains in the gym. Stick to compound movements and use cables as finishers not your core program. Using compound movemens with barbbell and dumbbells with increase your stabilizers muscle, strength levels, and give you a much better over all workout and build with muscle tears.

Brothers in Iron. There is hope for us WLS men post op. You can do it!!!