Lulaloo

Sleeve and Acid Reflux

Hi There!

I am hoping to have my surgery in about a month or so and I have been planning on the sleeve...but I'm having some second thoughts due to acid reflux and am wondering if I should be going with the by-pass. In general, my comfort level is with the sleeve, which is why I have chosen it. But in the end, I just want what is going to be best for me long term.

When I talked with my surgeon, he said that despite my acid reflux the sleeve is still a good choice for me. He said that most sleevers who experience acid reflux do so for only about 3 months or so after surgery, but then it typically goes away. After hearing that I was fine with my decision, but after having another bad bout with it recently I am re-thinking my decision. I sometimes get acid reflux to the point that I get chest pain and pressure in addition to the heartburn and occasional backlash. I have taken Prilosec daily for about a year and a half. I avoid all of the foods I should be avoiding. And when I have one of these bouts I have to double up on my Prilosec for about 2 weeks or so to get it under control.

I am interested in hearing from sleevers who are more than 3 months out. How many of you had trouble with acid reflux after your surgery? Are you still having problems? If you had issues with acid reflux before your surgery have you found that your reflux is any worse now?

I understand that everyone is different and your experience may not be mine, but I would appreciate hearing about any of your experiences. Thanks!

I was taking Prilosec before my surgery. I am 9 months post op and continue to take it. I don't think the GERD is worse. Although, there have been days when i forgot to take it and can feel the differnce. I have not had the extreme symptoms that you have had before or after surgery. I was hoping to get off the medication and will discuss with my surgeon at my 1 year check up in June. I think you have to consider all the pro's and con's of each surgery. I am very happy I choose the sleeve. It was a surgery I felt comfortable with and that my surgeon thought would be best for me. Best of luck in whatever choice you make.

My upper GI showed I had acid reflux but I hardly noticed it, just a couple of times. Since the surgery I have it 5 out of 7 days but I just take the generic Prilosec and it goes away in 20 mins. If i would take it regularly and I don't think I'd really notice it

I never had a problem with reflux prior to surgery; but I did start experiencing it afterwards; shortly after getting back home.  For about 2 weeks I took overcounter stuff every day and after that it subsided quite a bit.  Now at 6 weeks out I rarely am getting it now.

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate it!! I've been doing a lot of research on this issue and think I may be sticking with the sleeve. Not 100% sure, but that's the way I'm leaning.

I had the bad chest pain that you have and I had the sleeve five weeks ago.  I also had my haital hernia fixed, do you have this problem?  If so discuss it with your doctor!  Otherwise, my acid reflux has improved tremendously.

Never had reflux prior to surgery (had an ulcer a couple of times though). Post op, as long as I'm careful, I don't get "back up" at bedtime--I stop eating at least an hour before I lie down.

But the chest pressure, I find is eating too fast. Chew 30 times, every bite, and set the fork down between bites. Then no chest pressure.

Liquids, it takes time to adjust. I still take a mouthful, but I swallow a little at a time from the mouthful. Takes me 10-15 seconds to swallow a mouthful of liquid (get your minds out of the gutter, guys reading this lol). As long as I swallow slowly, no chest pain.

Doesn't hurt to try to induce a belch between bites either. If you are with other people, talk a lot while you eat, and you won't feel out of place. :)

I also had a hiatal hernia fixed, for the record.

Worst thing I have had to deal with was the incision they pulled the stomach from. I am still having some painful days. It's like the muscle is fine, and then without warning it seizes up and the only way to pull it back out is to take a pain pill and lay flat on my back until it flattens back out.

Otherwise, it's not been too bad, pain wise. :)