BugdocMom

Questions for "What's Bugging You?" Ask BugdocMom

72 posts in this topic

Okay I am a newbie 4 weeks post op and I am starting to get into more food, Cheese, beans, yogurt, eggs, etc.  I am eating as slow as possible and I try to take small bites and chew chew chew, however it feels as though it is getting stuck in my throat/chest and it hurts.  After a while it settles and I really can't tell if I get the "FULL" feeling, is this common?  Would love some advice/views on this, thanks.

Okay I am a newbie 4 weeks post op and I am starting to get into more food, Cheese, beans, yogurt, eggs, etc.  I am eating as slow as possible and I try to take small bites and chew chew chew, however it feels as though it is getting stuck in my throat/chest and it hurts.  After a while it settles and I really can't tell if I get the "FULL" feeling, is this common?  Would love some advice/views on this, thanks.

Yes, this is common.... both the food in the chest and the not knowing full feeling.  Especially when you are starting back on these denser type proteins... wait until you try meat for the first time!   Typically it happens to me when I eat too fast but it could every well be a full indicator as well, even if if you only put down a bite or two.  This sensation will get better with time.  It still happens for me on occasion but nowhere near like the beginning when it was practically every time I put food down.

The hunger and full sensations take time as well to "reconnect" between the stomach and brain and may no longer feeling anything like how you associated them to feel like pre-surgery.  Some people hiccup, sneeze, belch, get a runny nose, get that feeling up in throat and probably lots of other things.  Once you are back to eating solid proteins (like meats/fish) regularly you'll learn what your new feeling is.  For a long time my 'full' was the feeling like it was in my chest and now it is starting to become just a heavy feeling in my stomach....more similar to how it was before for me (and yet not quite the same, hard to describe feeling sometime!).

mmb5370, 1chancla and rascus like this

Although at 9 months, for me, it is vastly improved since the beginning so I think there is potential to "grow out of it".

Yes. Same with most bypassers who dump. They are generally much more sensitive to sugar/carbs in the early months and become less so as time passes. Unfortunately, nobody told MY pouch the rules;)

Hi Gramma, congrats on your upcoming revision. Don't worry, from what I have seen in my few years in the WLS community, folks almost universally love their sleeves. I seem to recall that bypass is much more helpful for acid reflux, but I couldn't swear by it. I'm sure some sleevers will check in and give you some more convincing answers ;).

As far as dumping in sleevers, it is very rare, not as easily triggered, and much less severe. As a matter of fact, most bariatric surgeons are still in the school of thought that sleeves don't dump. It is only recently that experimental research has shown some evidence for sleeve dumping. I'd actually consider it a bonus- If you happen to be one of the few sleevers that experience dumping, it can work as a built in deterrent for overeating sweets.

Thank you guys so much for answering my question. I was all set for the bypass and have a few friends who have the bypass. I do have a couple ladies I know that recently got the sleeve but haven't been able to talk with them much yet. This is a whole new learning curve for me.

The biggest potential con of sleeve is the reflux that very often accompanies it.  If you already have reflux problems sleeve really is not the greatest choice, but since it is your only option at this stage I guess you'll have take what comes.  Its not GAURENTEED you will have issues with it or that it won't help fix the issues that came as a result of your band but just understand that it is something that often comes with the sleeve, even for those that have never had reflux or heartburn in their life before it (like me!)  Although at 9 months, for me, it is vastly improved since the beginning so I think there is potential to "grow out of it".

And ditto all Bugdoc said regarding dumping.  Very rare with sleeve but not non-existent.  I have not had issues with any foods - good or bad.

I am a tad worried about the reflux but my doc seems to think it was because my band was so tight and it had slipped. It got to the point when I ate food I would have to lean back in my chair and hold my left arm above my head then I could feel the food plop through. That was for almost 2 years. My dr didn't listen to me then he left to go back to his home in Hawaii. Went to another practice they didn't listen either saying I needed to eat 1200 calls a day. I told the nutritionist that was physically impossible she said "well you want a fill don't you???" I said NO if anything I want an unfill!!! Finally I got an unfill after 3 more months of vomiting I left that practice and found one that is absolutely wonderful!!! I feel like they get me. And I can say I can finally see the light again at the end of that long long tunnel. Sorry for being so long.

rascus likes this

Good grief.  What an ordeal.  I am glad u found someone to help.  Now get on with it girl!

I see my surgeon this Friday Dec 13 and hopefully I will have an answer when I can have the revision. I feel much better with the band out unfortunately I am finding I can eat more now that there's no swelling or restriction. Again a learning process but I am determined to get things going in the right direction. Thanks for all the responses.

I am still waiting for my surgery(jan 8), but I think it would probably help to start back on or continue high protein diet including shakes. You will probably have a pre-op diet to follow anyway.

Good luck

I've been wondering about the timing of medications and vitamins.  I try to spread things out throughout the day - but is this necessary?

I take so many meds I try to take my vitamins and calcium in the morning just because they are huge pills and that is when I have the most room in my stomach.  I take the rest at night.

I've been wondering about the timing of medications and vitamins.  I try to spread things out throughout the day - but is this necessary?

You've gotta take your calcium and iron two hours apart. It screws me up every day.

EDIT: I usually miss both.

Edited by tmcgee
Cue and Mirtl like this

Ok I have a question for you. Does our bodies have a set point so it knows when to stop the weight loss?

princessblog likes this

I'm nine weeks out and haven't a clue as to how many carbs or calories I should shoot for in a day. I'm staying right around 1,000 calories but feel hungry at times... Stomach growling hungry. But don't want to over do it. I can eat just about anything, and have been released to eat whatever. I just wish there were a guide of some sort for us newbies.

28 lbs down...... Had a stall for 5 weeks, but now cut out pita chips, crackers and slice of toast. So focussing on protein now

There are guides - given by the doctors.  I can't imagine a program that doesn't give a set of guidelines assuming it is an accredited surgeon.

Nothing really matters a whole lot other then 1) protein  2) fluids  3) proper eating habits.   If you do those three things, calories and carbs should be exactly wherever they need to be.

0-9 months I did 1000 cal or less,  60 carb or less.   9 months to current I do 1200 cal, under 100 carb.  (though I don't often get up to that high end of either).   3 meals a day 2 snacks if you feel you have hunger; eat every 3-4 hours.    Don't let your mind fool you into thinking a growling stomach means your empty though.  Acid often can be mistaking for a growling stomach and the sleeve in general is extremely vocal for any and no reason at all.   If its not time to eat - then drink more.  If your sleeve is full on liquid it cannot be telling you it needs food.  You can fit like 4oz in there thats it.....  it does not take much to placate it at all, even with fluids.  More fluids the better anyway.

Wow this will certainly keep you busy lol. All these things already! I just wanted to congratulate you and send congrats hug from me! You will be great!

Lolly :)

Here's a question from this newbie. I'm 2 weeks and a couple of days. My dr. told me to start getting all my protein from food. How am I supposed to do that eating 2 Tablespoons of food three times a day. He said that because I mentioned how concerned I am with the protein shake I bought being 120 calories and mixed with 1 cup of skim milk is 200 calories. I divide it into two servings as it's 32 gr of protein, but I have half in the morning and half at night. Thanks.

You might want to post under the postop gastric bypass section. This section has not really been used in months.

In answer to your question, I don't think it's possible to get 60to 80 grams of protein at 2 weeks from food only. I would encourage you to speak to your NUT about your surgeons postop eating program . Did you get a printout at discharge time from the hospital as to what to eat, the stages you are to follow?

I am also curious as to why you are diluting a protein shake with milk.? Not criticism just curious.

Please post under gastric bypass, postop and I know you will get more answers from the bypass folks. I am a sleeve and it's a little different for us.

Best wishes

1chancla likes this

The shake is a powder and I mix it with milk. I could mix it with water, but I figured it would be getter mixed with milk. I do have instructions from the nutritionist and I'm following those now. My dr. Originally told me to try some solid food because I was having severe diarrhea.

The shake is a powder and I mix it with milk. I could mix it with water, but I figured it would be getter mixed with milk. I do have instructions from the nutritionist and I'm following those now. My dr. Originally told me to try some solid food because I was having severe diarrhea.

It's possible that you're having lactose intolerance issues - that's not uncommon early out and for most of us, it's usually a temporary thing.

Try switching to a different protein powder.

Here's a question from this newbie. I'm 2 weeks and a couple of days. My dr. told me to start getting all my protein from food. How am I supposed to do that eating 2 Tablespoons of food three times a day. He said that because I mentioned how concerned I am with the protein shake I bought being 120 calories and mixed with 1 cup of skim milk is 200 calories. I divide it into two servings as it's 32 gr of protein, but I have half in the morning and half at night. Thanks.

Supplement , supplement supplement.. i cant say it enough. at first your body cant intake enough protein so supplements are necessary. Almost 6 yrs out i still supplement. Find a good flavor u like. Its trial and error :) But always eat your protein first so you can get full of it first rather than any carbs or sweets etc.

GAviv likes this

I would like to know... things that were surprises to people... ?  how easy it was to lose or maybe not, procedure met more than expectations, help in calming fears in newbies (that would be me) lol  what things you wish you would have known (things learned the hard way for some)...  how to get those proteins in and not be eating always the same thing...  people's biggest challenges or triumphs...  what you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask type things....  honest perspectives on the good, the bad, and the ugly...  :)

I was surprised that I LITERALLY was full on two spoons in the beginning! I would have never imagined that! Also, I would never have guessed that water, which I love, would taste like metal and not go down easy!

So many little things...that's what made this forum so great! I could get some answers to what we sometimes think are 'stupid' questions.

Some mix the protein in coffee, yogurt, pudding, etc. It will boost your protein count on these items.

I don't know that I will ever want to try it in coffee but many say it gives them a bigger protein bang. :)