BugdocMom

Questions for "What's Bugging You?" Ask BugdocMom

72 posts in this topic

As many of you have heard, I will be writing an advice column for the Thinner Times Newsletter. It is tentatively titled "What's Bugging You?" I am very excited to be able to do this for the TT Community and even more excited to see what shape this new advice column will take! We all have so many questions as we travel along on our own weight loss surgery journeys. Whether you are just considering weight loss surgery, have committed to the pre-op process, are in the rapid weight loss phase, or even in the maintenance phase, I may be able to help you get the answers to your questions. Nothing is off the table and, if you have read my blog, you will know that I don't hold anything back... so ask away and I will pick a few questions to feature in the newsletter!

BugDocMom,  congratulations!!!!  I am sooooooo excited for you with this venture of being the editor of this new site.  You have a wealth of knowledge that I love to glean from, and you are a phenomenol resource to many.  I look forward to any of your newsletters.  Again CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

marilyn h and lilrosie like this

Thanks so much, Swenger!

Hey, you guys, I need some questions... we can start with easy ones, I know you have some...

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

kccat2, rascus, Jabsie and 2 others like this

Hmmm... that's not quite what I had in mind;)

But I was thinking it may not make much sense to ask for questions each month because folks generally want answers to their questions right away. Or some folks may be too shy to post but would prefer to send a private message. So, perhaps what I should do is 1. If you would like to send a question to me via personal messenger, please do so! And 2. maybe I should just pick a few of the more common or more interesting questions that we see and post them in the newsletter. What do you guys think? I really see this as having potential, and it feels like it could be fun. So, if you have suggestions on how to make it work, please chime in!

BTW, Jim, the answer is 3,426 cords in a lifetime;)

I think your 2 suggestions are perfect. If people have a specific question they should inbox you and maybe you could answer those first, then if you need 'filler' questions pick a few of the more common questions.

You should also post in one of the boards that's higher up on the forum bc way down here some people won't see this! LOL I've just now seen it and I'm on almost everyday lately! :)

Relovlee and marilyn h like this

I couldn't agree more.  It may be awesome for newbies, but always great resource for those post surgery who can comment on it after it is posted.  I think it is a great idea.  Start your newsletter BugDocMom.  I;'m sure people will have comments once they see your newsletters.  Thanks for all you do for all of us.  I look forward to your first newsletter.

I couldn't agree more.  It may be awesome for newbies, but always great resource for those post surgery who can comment on it after it is posted.  I think it is a great idea.  Start your newsletter BugDocMom.  I;'m sure people will have comments once they see your newsletters.  Thanks for all you do for all of us.  I look forward to your first newsletter.

Thanks again for the encouragement, Swenger! I'm happy to say that What's Bugging You? is a now regular column in the new Thinner Times Newsletter that John Callery has put together for the TT community. So far, we've successfully put out two editions of the new newsletter (I think we are aiming for monthly publication) and the first What's Bugging You? article was included in the March edition... yay!!! You can sign up to receive the newsletter via email at http://thinnertimesforum.us1.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=3f224c257af6219c82159ed83&id=4304503cb6

and you can read the latest edition (with the What's Bugging You? article included) here:

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3f224c257af6219c82159ed83&id=d859aaa9f8

The February newsletter (the first one) is posted on the Forum Home Page near the bottom. I'm sure we will get the latest edition on the site soon.

So, my TT family, please let me know what you guys think about my first attempt at the What's Bugging You? article. I would love some feedback and any criticism and suggestions are encouraged. I really want it to be as helpful and enjoyable as possible. And, of course, feel free to gush about how wonderful it is;) LOL.

dorie likes this

I had gastric bypass 1 year ago . The only problem I have is a very sore tail bone!! Is this common? Do you have any advise? Thanks in advance!!

I had gastric bypass 1 year ago . The only problem I have is a very sore tail bone!! Is this common? Do you have any advise? Thanks in advance!!

That's a great question! I've heard several folks with the same issue. I will definitely look into it and discuss it in the What's Bugging You? column in the TT Newsletter. Thanks so much for submitting a question!

What about what things to expect eg: Stalls WILL happen... it IS hard to get fluid in initially( I know already covered- just an example) - we all lose at different rates or

what are the 5 most common questions? 

I like this idea and the fact that you are hosting it, Genet! I think it may be a good thing to pull some of the more interesting or 'hot' questions off the posts and take a look at them. Do I have questions? Sure - why can't I find work after being out on disability? I know why though... everyone wants a clean work record and lots of current experience - just leave that alone...lol! 

I do wonder just how successful plastic surgery like a full body lift is, and how long it takes to heal in general. Also, would it be a good idea to wait until one is down as far as possible weight wise to get it done?

Thanks.

Leora

1chancla likes this

Wow guys, those are great questions and suggestions. I'm getting even more excited about the next article in our next TT Newsletter!

@Kazkaren-- I REALLY like the idea of the top 5 questions asked on the forum.

@Leora-- LOL, I definitely won't touch the employment issue! At least not right now. I will wait until you get a good job first;) It WILL happen. But plastics are a pretty hot topic, thanks!

1chancla likes this

I would like to know... things that were surprises to people... ?  how easy it was to lose or maybe not, procedure met more than expectations, help in calming fears in newbies (that would be me) lol  what things you wish you would have known (things learned the hard way for some)...  how to get those proteins in and not be eating always the same thing...  people's biggest challenges or triumphs...  what you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask type things....  honest perspectives on the good, the bad, and the ugly...  :)

I think it would be good to get some long term post-op perspectives too - what to expect 1 year out, 5 years, etc.  I know I'm curious what the future will hold and how to keep up the motivation and momentum of the weight loss phase and how to move into a maintenance mode...

Experiment 626 likes this

I think a food diary type article would be good. I am always wondering how many calories, proteins, carbs, sugars others in my same stage are comsuming. My clinic only says 60-80g protein a day  (for 6-12 months postop) and gives me no rules for the rest. I need rules people! lol!

I second Tyree's suggestion. I'm always worried I'm doing it wrong!

Oh, and how about the soda controversy. Is it really going to stretch your pouch or do surgeons tell you that so you won't start up again post op?

AllHeart likes this

The caffeine controversy too!  I brought it up at my Support group meeting last night and at my Post-Op Nutrition class today and found out there were a lot of us that had the same question.

I think it would be good to get some long term post-op perspectives too - what to expect 1 year out, 5 years, etc.  I know I'm curious what the future will hold and how to keep up the motivation and momentum of the weight loss phase and how to move into a maintenance mode...

I agree! We have a few who post, but need more information.

AllHeart likes this

The gum question  ??

dorie and KarensThin like this

You guys are awesome!!! So many great ideas!! This is going to be a fabulous column!!! Which questions will I be able to tackle first?! Keep 'em coming, guys, I'll write something up in the newsletter each month! I may even have to get some "guest" writers to tackle those long term topics... any takers?;)

marilyn h likes this

I think a article on the best protein supplements would be good for pre op people.

michelleann31 and marilyn h like this

please have a section on surgery over 50,  over 60.     k

Edited by KarensTurn
michelleann31 and marilyn h like this

I need a push. I am in a stall due to pregnancy in December and a  miscarriage the end of January , and I had my gall bladder out in February. Now I am walking again regularly. I am not even a year post op. I need help with where I should be at this point. Should I still be eating 800 calories? The doctors kind of leave you out on your own @ 6 months. What about us honeymooners?  

michelleann31 likes this