Kylie

26th April is my date and I'm scared!

It's getting closer and I'm feeling like every time I eat it's like a last supper ! I have tried to adjust my mind by doing protein shakes for brekky before I start my journey on it full time and I get serious anxiety!!, I'm feeling like how am i going to do this? I love food so much, it's my vice!!! But I also know if I continue on this road I'm going to have a very short life .. I have young children and want to be healthy for them. I also want to feel good in my own body which I've never had the opportunity to feel, since I've been overweight since childhood.. So many things to think about... Prob rambling a bit I think..

Is there anyone on here that had these feelings and if so how did you deal with surgery and the emotions after surgery...also my relationship with food is scary, it's 40 years of bad habits!! This is what frightens me.. I know I'm strong in lots of ways but this is one thing that's always beaten me!!!!

Edited by Kylie

I had my surgery 4-28-2010 I was close to your stats I also had a bad past history of yoyo dieting and very bad eating habits but I have been very successful and am sure you will do fine. Best of luck to you in your journey.

It's totally normal to be scared. Nearly all WLS people had obsessions with food, otherwise we wouldn't all be over weight! I strongly suggest a good support system and counseling both pre and post op. It can be easy to switch your food issues with other issues (alcohol, shopping, etc). Remember this is a TOOL to help you get healthier. It isn't a magic pill. In the beginning, you will feel like there is no way you can screw this up (because weight will essentially fall off), but with two friends that have gained nearly all their weight back within 5 yrs I can tell you that isn't true. Be good, be strong and you will be great!

We have all been there.  If food wasn't such a big issue for us we would have never been in the position where we all have been.  It is completely normal to have these feelings.  Once you have the surgery you will look at food totally different, and the first couple times you dump you won't ever want that feeling again..........and you will change your habits to prevent it from occurring.  You are having completely normal feelings at this stage.  Just go with it, do the best you can, and you will do terrific after surgery.  Good luck to you.  We are here for you.