• Start Weight:310
  • Current Weight:217
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):33
  • Surgery Date:7/15/2012
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hi my name is Shari I am NEW...
One if the major reasons I decided to get the weight loss surgery other than being obese is because I have PCOS. I have been taking metformin however I am not seing any improvement. I'm 25 and I hope to have children one-day. My Dr told me if I had the surgery it could fix the PCOS. Has anyone had any luck? Because I'm nervous that ill have the surgery and still won't be able to get pregnant.

#2 kikidoll

kikidoll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Shore
  • Hospital:Lowell General
  • Height (ft-in):5-11
  • Start Weight:278
  • Current Weight:171
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.4
  • Surgery Date:3/20/13
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

That's part of why I'm having this surgery as well. I've read a lot and the general consensus is that weight loss DOES help pcos. Though bc we have issues with hormones as the weight comes off you need to be really careful, because you're really likely to get pregnant after drastic weight loss. My dr told us we need to wait for 2 years after in order to have a healthy pregnancy.
36762950.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#3 Erta

Erta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jawad/Dr. Teixeira
  • Hospital:Orlando Regional Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:309
  • Current Weight:135
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.7
  • Surgery Date:01/23/2013

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

I had my surgery for the same reasons. My PCOS was mainly hormonal and chemical, I never had the physical cysts and have a regular cycle. I was on Metformin for a year with great results, then it stopped working. The week after surgery, I noticed some things changing already. Due to increased testosterone, I was always hot preop. Post op, I experienced four days of excessive sweating, and it was my testosterone leveling out. I have never really had the excess hair growth. I suffered two miscarriages, one was ectopic, due to PCOS. Both my OBGYN and my Endocrinologist have said that I need to lose weight to control symptoms. My Endo recommended the surgery, descrbing it as a hard body reset, and I didn't hesitate. It is hard work at the beginning, but everyday gets easier. The diet is not difficult, but it is boring. I am at phase 3 now, and doing well. I would do it all over again. :)

weight.png

High/Now/Goal 309/135/135

First Baby Due October 15, 2014

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.- Henry David Thoreau

#4 CherCher

CherCher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Murr
  • Hospital:Tampa General
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:398
  • Current Weight:214
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:11/07/2012

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

I have PCOS, Im 30 no pregnancies or babies, Been married for 8 years. I had the surgery to control my symptoms and lose enough weight to hopefully get pregnant. My PCOS symptoms have greatly improved and im losing weight for the first time ever. I highly recommend it and I would do it all again in a heart beat.

weight.png

#5 CassieBix

CassieBix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York
  • Surgeon:Dr. Ingram
  • Hospital:Ellis Hospital
  • Start Weight:314
  • Current Weight:195
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:03/04/2013

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

I was diagnosed with PCOS after trying unsuccessfully to conceive for three years. I took Metforin and it helped my symptoms a bit, but I still wasn't ovulating. What actually helped me was a high protein, low carb diet that I continued with throughout my pregnancy. I now have a very healthy five year old, though I was 280 at the time I got pregnant with him. 

Those of us with PCOS have excess amounts of testosterone in our systems which makes conceiving very difficult and causes us other icky symptoms. The testosterone comes from the extra insulin we produce to combat spiking blood sugar levels, so the best way to keep our insulin levels in check (and boy hormones out of our system) is to not eat things that will cause a blood sugar spike. Easier said than done...I know.

My surgery is two weeks from today and I'm really curious how losing the weight will effect my PCOS symptoms. I'm not planning to have more children, but it would be nice to have regular periods and get rid of this gross lip fuzz. 

#6 quirk2726

quirk2726

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Surgeon:Dr. Bertin
  • Hospital:Westmoreland
  • Start Weight:273
  • Current Weight:161
  • Surgery Date:12/03/2012

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hi, I suffer from PCOS as well. It caused so many things for me: diabetes, high blood pressure, weight gain, depression, infertility, etc. I had gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 3rd, and I was taken off of my Metformin immediately. My blood sugar has been regular, and I am getting ready to come off of my blood pressure meds now, since my blood pressure levels are now normal. I had a miscarriage about 3 years ago, and have never had a full pregnancy. I am 36 years old, so once I hit my year anniversary of having my surgery, I am gonna try to conceive (I'm not getting any younger, that's for sure).
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#7 sharshar09

sharshar09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Thomas Clark
  • Height (ft-in):5-08

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

I was diagnosed with PCOS after trying unsuccessfully to conceive for three years. I took Metforin and it helped my symptoms a bit, but I still wasn't ovulating. What actually helped me was a high protein, low carb diet that I continued with throughout my pregnancy. I now have a very healthy five year old, though I was 280 at the time I got pregnant with him. 

Those of us with PCOS have excess amounts of testosterone in our systems which makes conceiving very difficult and causes us other icky symptoms. The testosterone comes from the extra insulin we produce to combat spiking blood sugar levels, so the best way to keep our insulin levels in check (and boy hormones out of our system) is to not eat things that will cause a blood sugar spike. Easier said than done...I know.

My surgery is two weeks from today and I'm really curious how losing the weight will effect my PCOS symptoms. I'm not planning to have more children, but it would be nice to have regular periods and get rid of this gross lip fuzz. 

That is beautiful! Congrats .. stories like yours is what keeps me hopefull that i will be able to have a baby too!.... yesss i cant wiat to get rid of the icky symptoms too lol :P  :blink:

#8 jules74

jules74

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Anne Lidor
  • Hospital:Johns Hopkins - Bayview
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:255
  • Current Weight:180
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.6
  • Surgery Date:10/14/2011

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

sharshar09 - For many women with PCOS, this surgery really helps to hit that reset button on the disorder. So many women, post-op, become quite the fertile myrtles! Your surgeon will and should warn you against getting pregnant too soon after surgery which is dangerous. But once you are in the clear, and ready to have a baby, you may find it to happen quite easily. If you read the pregnancy section on this forum you will see for yourself how many women get preggers after having this surgery. Some intentionally, some not so intentional.

weight.png

6-month liquid diet: March 2009-August 2009
Information Session: March 29 2011
Surgical Consult: May 23 2011
1st Support Group: June 09 2011, 2nd Support Group: July 21 2011
1st NUT appointment: June 15 2011; 2nd NUT appointment: June 23 2011
Psych Evaluation: July 19 2011
Insurance Approval: August 25 2011
Surgery Date: October 14, 2011

#9 coolady2007

coolady2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationWilmington,NC
  • Surgeon:David Miles
  • Hospital:New Hanover
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:402
  • Current Weight:255
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:04/12/2010

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Sharshar Good Luck with your surgery:)

#10 Tegan

Tegan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:305
  • Current Weight:149
  • Goal Weight:155
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23%
  • Surgery Date:3/19/13

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

Hi SharShar, I am 29 and also have PCOS (which of course has made weight loss extra difficult my entire life. I hope to be having a vertical sleeve surgery next month, at over 300 lbs and a family history of diabetes it feels like a really good choice. And i'm keeping my fingers crossed the weight loss will help regulate my cycle because i'd like to have kids in the next 5 years (and alleviate my icky hair, acne and dandruff). Anyway i hope you're doing well! XO, Tegan

#11 sharshar09

sharshar09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Thomas Clark
  • Height (ft-in):5-08

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

Hi SharShar, I am 29 and also have PCOS (which of course has made weight loss extra difficult my entire life. I hope to be having a vertical sleeve surgery next month, at over 300 lbs and a family history of diabetes it feels like a really good choice. And i'm keeping my fingers crossed the weight loss will help regulate my cycle because i'd like to have kids in the next 5 years (and alleviate my icky hair, acne and dandruff). Anyway i hope you're doing well! XO, Tegan

Yessssss!! I feel like we have the same story !!! I hope it all works out for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed too!

#12 arnyeva

arnyeva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationiceland
  • Surgeon:Björn and Hjörtur
  • Hospital:LSH
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:276
  • Current Weight:189
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Surgery Date:08/10/2012

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I have PCOS and had a GBP 4 months ago. I have not been on metaformin since BUT im not as lucky as many of women , my cysts are back and I have a few large ones and i was admitted to the hospital this morning because of an very bad infection in my uterus that is causing a lot of pain :( the doctor that I met today wants me to start the metaformin again. Other symptoms are also worse now like the hair growing  everywhere after i stopped taking the metaformin drugs.

My GBP surgeon was sure that the pcos would just go away after the surgery and had me stop taking the metaformin

#13 Janelle323

Janelle323

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCohoes NY
  • Surgeon:Binetti
  • Hospital:Albany Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:227
  • Current Weight:133
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Surgery Date:01/29/13

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

I was also taken off Metformin for PCOS and three weeks post-op, so far so good. I did take it a couple of days, and threw it right back up, so I guess my pouch agreed with the Dr. I was also on Spironolactone and a birth control pill (though I am unable as well as unwilling to have more children) for the PCOS. I still do take the birth control pill which helps with some of the PCOS symptoms.  PCOS is a horribly embarrassing, annoying, and misunderstood disease to battle. I hope and pray that my surgery corrects it completely and I dont have to be on any medications and NONE of the nasty symptoms come back. Good luck.

weight.png

#14 Ladybug Mom

Ladybug Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOlney, IL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Todd Burry
  • Hospital:Deaconess
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:180
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):30
  • Surgery Date:09/04/12

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

I am a PCOS sister too! Got pregnant with twins 11 years ago after five years of trying and three rounds of IUI. I was on Metformin XR prior to my gastric bypass six mons ago and have completely stopped it. In fact, my six month labs came back perfect....no insulin issue whatsoever. PCOS reeks havoc on your body and your mind, especially when you want so badly to have a baby. Hopefully you will have a successful outcome!