John

"Member Photos" forum closing

Hi Everyone,

As you may have seen, we're starting to make some subtle tweaks to Thinner Times Forum. This is because the forum has remained mostly unchanged for the past couple of years, and we need to keep up with the forum's growth and software changes.

The "Member Photos" forum was created when the TTF was first started in 2004. At the time, we did not have a dedicated "Photos" or "Gallery" feature to accommodate photos and photo albums.

While this functionality was introduced in 2010, we chose to leave the "Member Photos" forum on the home page. The gallery feature was often buggy, hard to use, and lacked 'social' aspects.

A couple of weeks ago, we made some significant upgrades to the forum's software and server infrastructure, and we believe that our updated gallery feature and it's organization/categories is ready to finally replace the "Member Photos" forum.

On March 1, 2013, we will be disabling the "Member Photos" forum, though it will still be viewable for archival purposes. We ask that you take the next several weeks to experiment with the "Photos" feature (accessible via the tab at the top of the Thinner Times Forum website), and provide us with feedback about its categories and organization.

Thank you in advance for your understanding, and please feel free to post comments and feedback in this thread.

Best regards,

John Callery

post-2-0-82234300-1360544366_thumb.png

It would be nice if the pictures in any given category were listed with the newest pics or most recently updated albums at the top.  The alphabetical sort isn't all that helpful unless you have someone specific you're looking for.  When you sort by date it starts with pics from 2008, and you have to go to the end and work backward, unless I'm just not paying attention to the dates correctly.  When you click on the Member Gallery in the header (rather than using the back button 50 times if a person's album is loaded full of pics) it re-sorts back to the A-Z listing. 

I'll still use it, obviously, but having the most recent posts come up first is pretty common...especially on this forum.  It would be a nice change to the photo tab.

Thanks for your feedback! I've updated the albums to display the most recent photos first.

Trying to upload pictures and it tells me I've run out of space to upload. I checked picture size and it should be fine @ 103kb. Any ideas?

I'm having similar issues, even after reducing my pic sizes.  Thought maybe it was just me.  Perhaps some instructions about how to load pics (even though I'm normally savvy) would help, like the instructions about linking to a ticker.  Maybe they're already loaded somewhere, but I haven't found them yet.

IamDeedra,

I've upped the limit to 200kb. If it still gives you problems please send me one of the pictures to jcallery@thinnertimes.com.

Singa, I'll get some instructions up tonight or tomorrow!

Best,

John

IamDeedra,

I've upped the limit to 200kb. If it still gives you problems please send me one of the pictures to jcallery@thinnertimes.com.

Singa, I'll get some instructions up tonight or tomorrow!

Best,

John

Thanks John. Got it to work!

I am also getting this message John could you look at mine as well. Thanks Michelle

I hate to be the only dissenting voice here, but I'm not happy about this forum closing. It's the highlight of my day to come on here and be able to look at the pics quickly. I've been trying to look through the photos section and while it's a good place to see entire albums, I don’t like that you can’t easily see the dates photos were uploaded, or the stats of the person who uploaded them. If I want to see their start weight, surgery date, age or current weight I have to link to their profile. I like that this forum allows people to upload just one or two photos to make a point... i.e. look at this new shirt that now fits or a face comparison, etc. Anyway... I'm sure I'll adjust but I just had to put my two cents in.

I see where you're coming from, but we need consolidate them so they're not competing with one another. Why don't I push back the closing date a couple of weeks, and we can tweak the Photos feature until it really works for everyone. Would you be willing to provide feedback so we can get it in better shape?

For example, lower down on the page there's a "Recent Images" tab, which makes it so you don't have to click through individual albums.

Best,
John

I like the new addition to the home page, the Recent Images down at the bottom.  This works pretty well for me, although I agree that sometimes I just want to see the before and after, and some people load albums full of photos that don't seem related to surgery at all. 

I'm still not able to figure out how to load my pics in the new photos tab, it keeps saying my images are too large even though I've shrunk them down.  I haven't tried too hard to solve this, though.

I just tried to add a photo, its a .jpg. Its 7.35 KB. When I try to load it, I get a red x and the photo won't display?

I was able to verify that we're still having a couple of problems with the photos feature. We're working with our software vendor on that...

I concur with Skinny Minnie. I personally do not like the new photo's section. I think its better this way. I can't even create a photo album, so when I get post op how will I be able to show off my success? I prefer this way better IMO. If its not broke, don't fix it.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

Thanks John.

Why can't we have BOTH and choose which option we want to use?! Why close this forum? Doesn't make sense when so many love it the way it is

I post pictures with links to my photobucket account. As long as I can do that (since I only have like 2 pictures total posted) I'm happy with any change. But changing for changes sake is almost never a good idea.

EDIT: I just checked the PHOTOS section out. How do the various sections work? I can't post to before and then put 6 months later in it, so how can I keep the pictures together to tell the story ?

Edited by JRH

I wish this board wasn't closing either.  :(

When I try to upload a picture to my album, it gives me an error saying that there is no space. I haven't put anything up yet! I thought it might be because my pic was too big, but I reduced the size and it says the same thing. I am working on a tablet and it doesn't always work like it is supposed to, so I will try from my laptop and see if I can get it to work on there.