• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SarahNZ

Polydextrose

9 posts in this topic

So many of the protein bars around have this in it. We gastric bypass people shouldn't have it. It can cause bowel blockages and who needs bowel problems after surgery? I had my first bar last night. I was sick sick sick afterward- sweating, nauseous, sleepy. So I took a look to see what was in it. Fat, sugar, protein and carb levels all looked great. Then I looked up poly dextrose... I will never have anything with it in it again.

Thanks for the warning!

There are some threads around on it :-)

I remember reading one of Beth's (MiladyB) threads and there was a warning about Polydextrose "........ watch for sugar alcohols which can cause gas and dumping syndrome, and watch for polydextrose which gastric bypass patients should never eat as we can’t break it down and it can build up and cause intestinal blockages".

I've been there once - it caused me some serious bloating and pain.

thanks! I had no idea about polydextrose and that WLS people can't break it down. I definitely don't want any bowel issues!

Thanks for this- I've not heard about this before- tried to google it in relation to gastric bypass- not very helpful!! Will watch out!

Thank you for posting, this was not something I was aware of. Does anyone have suggestions as to what bars do not have this in it? On occasion I like to have a bar as a meal replacement if I am to busy to make lunch and would like to keep that option.

I think that Quest bars are one of the better protein bars on the market: http://questproteinbar.com/?gclid=CPyd_-Lk-bQCFQKRPAodrj0A6A

Having said that - I don't touch them. Not because I don't like them but because I have zero restraint and can eat them one after another.

I developed hypoglycemia post-RNY and have to eat something every 1 1/2 - 2 hours so I always carry little ziploc baggies of things like almonds, dry roasted edamame with a few raisins or chopped dried apricots, mission figs, blueberries etc.

Great topic, Sarah~ I went right to my protein bars and checked the labels! Thank goodness, no polydextrose!

BariWise bars, if you're wondering.

I binged "polydextroxe in protein bars" and pages came up with the protein bars we DO NOT want to eat!

Great reading, bing it or google it, you'll be glad you did!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=polydextrose+in+protein+bars&qs=n&pq=polydextrose+in+protein+bars&sc=0-16&sp=-1&sk=&first=1&FORM=PERE

Again, thanks for sharing, Sarah!