mussakka

Would you divulge WLS in an interview?

I interviewed for a new job 4 weeks before my surgery. After I was offered the position, and accepted it, I divulged that I was having an abdominal surgery because it interfered with my start date. They, appropriately, did not ask exactly what I was having and I did not share. None of their business. I would NEVER tell in an interview. WAY too many opinions and biases about WLS. In addition to those mentioned above, my big concern about them finding out was whether or not they had the prejudice that everyone gets sickly and has all kinds of complications. I started that job yesterday. Whether I choose to tell now is a totally different ball game, but it can not keep me from getting the job I wanted.

Your journey is a major life accomplishment but I would not provide that information. The interview should be focused on your job skills and your career accomplishments. I was laid-off from my job, on 6-11-14, a week after returning from WLS medical leave The lay-off was not a surprise as the business was in a down-turn months before my surgery so I was 1 in the 10% of the company let go. In addition to applying for jobs, I have been spending time educating myself on interviewing skills, etc. All "exciting" stuff.

All of us consider it a huge accomplishment and are proud of what we are and have done. Unfortunately, some "outsiders" might not be so willing to look at it as such and, although illegal, would secretely use that information to discriminate. 

Personally I would keep my mouth shut. I actually applied for a new job after I was 128 lbs down after my sleeve surgery and I had no reason to bring it up in the interview. I just exuded confidence and I got the job. Getting too personal by divulging personal info like weight loss surgery could derail the interview and get you off track by not highlighting your skill set instead of your former waistline. 

As someone who hires people occasionally, that would creep me out. I would, rightly or wrongly, probably assume you had some kind of obsession with your weight.

Now, if your weight loss allowed you to *do* something interesting--travel to see something that changed your world-view, accomplish something like a marathon, be a spokesperson for a weight loss seminar...that would be cool.

My two cents.