6 replies to this topic

#1 audean

audean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Hospital:Desert Springs Hospitol

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:59 PM

I am curious as to other people who are in my BMI range who have had surgery and been happy with it. Is 36 to low to consider surgery ?? I have started all the paper work and labs, but am a little afraid. I am 41 yrs old and been over weight my whole life -- 5'3 206 lbs -- PLEASE give me your input in this HUGE decision. THANX!!!!!

#2 lealphachienne

lealphachienne

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Potts
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:235
  • Current Weight:150
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:05/28/2004
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

Check out www.asbs.org for the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. They set forth the standards that most insurances go by. In general, you need a minimum BMI of 40 without major co-morbidities. You can qualify if you are 35-39 BMi if you have major co-morbiditites. The major ones that are considered are diabetes, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure. When my BMI was 36, I started having major problems with breathing and high blood pressure. My doctor encoruaged me to pursue WLS. By the time I was apporoved for surgery 10 months later, I had gained further weight because of the problems and eventually hit a BMI of 41. I was first denied because all of my tests weren't documented. The denial was overturned when the insurance got all 6 years of documentation I could find...almost 100 pages...faxed to them and a follow up recommendation from my PCP. Now, it does take a good PCP who will advocate for you. I had to see some other doctors in my PCP's practice when she was out...they wouldn't even talk to me about WLS...even though my PCP wrote it down. Their personal opinion is that your BMI need to be 45 or higher. I was so glad when my PCP came back and got things rolling again.
Marie
TT Gym Rat #25
A single bracelet does not jingle
www.nochilddiesalone.org
http://www.facebook.com/NCDAInc

#3 bridgetgirl

bridgetgirl

Friend of TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA
  • Surgeon:The Great Charles Callery MD
  • Hospital:Pomerado Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:300
  • Current Weight:170
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):15
  • Surgery Date:02/09/2004

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:25 AM

Brittany had surgery by Dr Mueller (who I hear from alot of different peeps is awesome!) I dont believe her BMI was 40...... here user name is QueenB if you want to search her posts or PM her!
J.Bridget Fisher
Find me on facebook; bridget.fisher
Twitter: bridget_fisher

[email protected]

"People will argue with you that getting what you want in life isnt something you can learn, if youre destined to be one of the worlds winners as opposed to one of its perpetual whiners, its because you have been born with the right talents and temperament and have a big dose of self-esteem, ambition, and good judgment." Kate White

#4 audean

audean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:04 PM

Thank you for taking the time to answer me back !!! I will look up QueenB ... My daughter did have gastric bypass in Nov 2005 -- she is only 19 but weighed 275 lbs and 5'5"- so far she has lost 65 lbs -- a few little aches and pains --- throws up now and then, and says her side hurts -- a little low on Vitamin B1 also -- other than that -- seems to be going good --- I just wonder at my lower BMI if people regret having the Surgery -- cause I know it is not easy-- just watching my daughter go through it -- do you ladies think you would have the surgery at my weight ????? or try and do ONE more diet on my own .....

#5 Mavisavis

Mavisavis

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:03 AM

Thank you for taking the time to answer me back !!! I will look up QueenB ... My daughter did have gastric bypass in Nov 2005 -- she is only 19 but weighed 275 lbs and 5'5"- so far she has lost 65 lbs -- a few little aches and pains --- throws up now and then, and says her side hurts -- a little low on Vitamin B1 also -- other than that -- seems to be going good --- I just wonder at my lower BMI if people regret having the Surgery -- cause I know it is not easy-- just watching my daughter go through it -- do you ladies think you would have the surgery at my weight ????? or try and do ONE more diet on my own .....

I can speak from my experience. I have been overweight since late childhood and bounced up and down some, often going in and out of the "qualifying" number. I finally looked into the surgery because of health problems, and by then my BMI was maybe 42 (and I am also your age). I have never regretted the surgery for even a single minute! If I could go back in time I would have done it even earlier. I was so tired of being stuck in the low-mid plus size limbo. If you qualify and you feel you gave diet and exercise a fair shake over the years, and of course you educate yourself.........I say go for it. :)
Marty

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts--Winston Churchill

Lap RNY 9-7-05
Dr. Ben-Meir
Cleveland Center for Bariatric Surgery
235/135/135
pre/now/goal

#6 coptergirl

coptergirl

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,814 posts
  • Surgeon:Stanley Klein

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:57 AM

Deanna (New Me) was under 5' and around the same weight as you as well and was approved and had her surgery in early January...you could PM her as well...
Blessings,

Whitney :)
272/243/123.5/135
Highest/Pre-op/Current/Goal

GBS 3/7/06
Dr. Stanley Klein -Torrance, CA

Hernia Repair/Tummy Tuck 3/9/07!!!!

148.5 pounds and 64.5 inches gone forever!!:D

GOAL REACHED 2/6/07!!!

Ducksack Member#3! And TTBear Blondbear!!
www.myspace.com/horsegalwhit

#7 audean

audean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

I just noticed that your surgery was the next day !!! How did it go and how are you feeling ???? Hope everything went Great !!!!
Audean

Surgery Weight - 214 lbs - 5' 3 " BMI 38
Current- 128.5( 07/07/07)
Goal weight - 135 lbs
Surgery date-- MAY 1ST 2006
By Dr. Atkinson -- In Las Vegas, Nv -- SWCC