• Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:297
  • Current Weight:227
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:02/04/2013
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hello Everyone!

So, I went to my PCP for my pre-op clearance appointment yesterday and got some news I am not so sure what to do with. She used her stethoscope and listened to my neck. She kept listening to the left side several times. She told me that I have a Carotid Bruit (pronounced brewey or broot). It is an extra sound made in the artery by the blood flowing through it. Normally these are from plaque build up in the artery or something. I have never been diagnosed with high cholesterol, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have it. She told me that she isn't very concerned by it, but I still have to get it checked out before she will clear me for surgery. I am scheduled for an ultrasound tomorrow afternoon. I am super nervous about this. Not only that it will delay surgery, but that I may need some kind of other procedure to fix this. I looked on the National Health Institute's website (big mistake, I know..now I am freaking out!) and the treatments vary from stents to angioplasty! I am 32! I have several risk factors for heart disease (obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, family history). SO SCARED!!

#2 farmington

farmington

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Locationmichigan
  • Surgeon:chengelis
  • Hospital:beaumont
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:365
  • Current Weight:199
  • Goal Weight:199
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28.6
  • Surgery Date:06/11/12

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

As bad as it seems, especially if they have to do some type of procedure on it, realize what could have happened down the road. Going through the process for WLS gets most of us tested, tested, and more tested. but, in the long run we're all healthier for it. Be thankful they found it now. good luck
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wm0vBbr/]
Posted Image

#3 Keepingmyeyesontheprize

Keepingmyeyesontheprize

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon
  • Surgeon:Emma Patterson
  • Hospital:Good Sam
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:304
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Surgery Date:12/21/12

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Don't worry before you test, it may be something that can be fixed with meds. I will be thinking of you! Take Care!

#4 AngelaMarie

AngelaMarie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Surgeon:Dr Suh
  • Hospital:Inland Valley
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:258
  • Current Weight:136
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:3/2/2012
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Keep us posted on what they decide to do. Better to be found now than too late, ya know? I am sure everything will work out. Congrats to taking steps for a healthier you.

#5 katherinep

katherinep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Albert Wetter
  • Hospital:El Camino
  • Height (ft-in):5-01
  • Start Weight:225
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28.3
  • Surgery Date:09/19/2012

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

I so agree with Farmington, what's new... Anyway my friend waited and waited for clearance and she had to do some weight loss befroe surgery. She wwnt in for the surgery(RNY) on the 12th and the Doctor spotted a tumor on her pancreous. Needless to say, the Dr. quickly changed the surgery to a biopsy and now she waits for the results. She will hopefully get o go back to have the RNY or another form of WLS but imagine if she never attempted WLS surgery? She would not have found the tumor until it was too late. So try to stay calm and keep putting one foot infront of the other.

Best of luck to you and I will be thinking aout you until we hear an update.

weight.png

#6 UODuckMama

UODuckMama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Surgeon:Dr. Emma Patterson
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:297
  • Current Weight:227
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:02/04/2013

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

Thanks everyone! I had my ultrasound yesterday afternoon. The tech couldn't give me any official results, but she said everything looked normal. What a RELIEF!! Now to get my PCP to give me clearance for surgery. I am starting to see the light at the end of the pre-op tunnel.