Jeannev7

Makeup!

I feel somewhat ridiculous admitting this...but I have a now real addiction to makeup, more specifically lipstick.

I always loved shopping and trying different makeups pre-surgery and for years prior, but now that I won't allow myself to turn to food, I find myself shopping and buying more makeup.

I recognized it when I brought some home and my kids looked at me strangely when I skipped dinner with them, worked late and went to ulta and came home with an $80 dollar bag of makeup.

The great thing about makeup is that you aren't disappointed that it won't or doesn't fit and there are no calories!!

But I have felt the guilt about the money spent of course.

Obviously, this isn't harmful to my health and I have recognized it. So now I still enjoy going to ulta and sephora etc but now I just browse and am not buying...at least as much!

I just smile about it now and realize I'm lucky because there are far more harmful things I could have gone to.

; )

Not ridiculous at all! It was very sweet of John, to give us a place to "confess" our sins. LOL....good for you, for it only being makeup!!! (watch out for shoes and jeans.......LOL)

Lol. I have been buying hats and jewelry (not the expensive kind) as I don't want to buy clothes yet.

Lol indeed!

Believe me, I've already been lurking at the malls with clothes and shoes and have only bought a few items. I have two teenagers one just got his braces off and my daughter needs them. So I'm waiting as long as possible to replace my clothes.

But I love to try things on and it's exciting to see the size I can now fit into!!

For me, it's been art supplies and tools. I tend to go play in my studio in place of late night snacking / emotional eating.

In my defense, I actually sold off an entire corner of my studio of things I hadn't used and decided I wasn't going to use -- so they are in a better home now. Used that $$ to pay for hotel for an art retreat.

But my weekly $$ goes further without stopping at mini marts and such for junk food and snacks. I tend to stop at Jerry's Artarama and my local bead shop.

Once realized, I decided to step up my design work and I'm now contracting with a couple of companies in the industry who are supplying me with their products.

But then, I rediscovered SHOES. Oh goodness...

I think it's logical that because we are not focusing on our food like we did that it's natural to shift attention to other interests. As long as I can find balance and not obsess, I think it's healthy.

So you go with your healthy avenue of art supplies and even shoes...because we recognize the shift of interest I think we'll be just fine.

; )

I think it's logical that because we are not focusing on our food like we did that it's natural to shift attention to other interests. As long as I can find balance and not obsess, I think it's healthy.

So you go with your healthy avenue of art supplies and even shoes...because we recognize the shift of interest I think we'll be just fine.

; )

I agree. I think everything I've done so far has been in moderation -- and with shoes rather than clothes; a few purchases BECAUSE I CAN get into something other than Crocs. KWIM? It's kind of a joyful thing really.

shopping is definately my transfer addiction. new it would be preop because I had already recognized it gave me the same quick high. Online shopping I get it twice - when ordering and when it arrives.

I've been buying an over abundance of make-up now that I think of it. I can not leave a store without some sort of makeup. Just ordered several things from sephora. I HAVE NEVER GOT MAKEUP FROM THERE BEFORE!! :ph34r:

shopping is definately my transfer addiction. new it would be preop because I had already recognized it gave me the same quick high. Online shopping I get it twice - when ordering and when it arrives.

Ohhh GOOD observation Sapphire....I didn't think of that....but you are right, internet shopping is double the high and 100 times easier (the internet doesn't close like those pesky stores and you don't have to put on pants, go out and be amongst other people to do it! ;) )

I am going to monitor myself a lot more closely on that now!

Mine is makeup and nail polish. Thank goodness there is cheap stuff I like but my nail polish box is full. I don't think I was addicted to food but now I just can't cook like I used to do. I enjoyed cooking for my family and making sweets for my in-laws. Now I don't dare do it. So, I buy makeup and nail polish like a nut. I am going to try to get into crocheting. It is cheaper and maybe I can make something for my family that way.

Food was always my I Love You All!

My mom mentioned to me the other day that I was spending money like I had it and I said, "I do have it. I'm saving so much on food, my bank account is higher than it's been in years." I love it. Lately I've been buying stuff for my house.

Shopping does become more fun, well I think so anyway, my new thing is handbags, I try not to go overboard as some of them can be very expensive. But like everyone has said we were so use to shopping for "junk" food now we need something to take our attention away from that so we focus on something else, at least most of our new "hobbies" aren't focused around food so that is good.

I've started a make-up and nail polish habit.....urban decay eye-shadow palettes are my weakness!

Nail polish! and make up! and shopping at thrift stores! i love it all! lol!

I think I've answered this in another post, but I really do feel like I'm recouping my teenage years when I get to shop now. Its amazing to pick up a sweater or blouse in a medium, it is such a high.

Lately I've been addicted to Banana Republic, Kohl's and DSW shoes. Its crazy, but I love feeling like a girl. I've never felt like this in my life. Always shyed away from going shopping with my girlfriends or been the resident fashion coordinator/human shoping cart when I would go with them.

Now the shoe is on the other foot, so to speak, when I go with them. (even though I much rather go shopping by myself) ;)

I'm starting to get into shopping.  A pair of earrings here and there, makeup, a few clothing items (I mostly shop in my closet as I have a range of sizes in it), shoes... not a lot of any one thing, but I'm spending a lot more money than I used to.

Edited by ToutDeSuite