• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
vally78

Failed rny... stoma dilated. considering revisions, need help deciding

4 posts in this topic

Hello. I had a rny gastric bypass in 2002. I was sucessful until i got pregnant 8 years afterwards, gained 80 pounds, and thats where i stand now. My dr says my pouch is fine, but my stoma is allowing food to pass through too quickly to ever feel full. He is suggesting a banding procedure over the bypass to revise it. My concern is the amount of follow up visits that procedure. Requires. My dr is almost 2 hours away now, since i have moved. He says the band will slow the food draining into the bottom of my pouch and therefore into my intestines. He implies that if the bypass failed once, it will do it again, meaning i will stretch out the stoma and the revision will have been a wasted procedure. My thoughts: i am not having any additional children, so the root cause of me gaining the weight back will never happen again. So should i have the banding done, or a regular revision.

You have a lot to consider. Are you seeing a therapist to help work things through? The decision is up to you and what the doctor says is safe to accomplish.

I can understand your doctors concern with the RNY revision. However, you have solid reasoning that you are unlikely to get pregnant again. Beware if you do, it will likely reoccur.

The banding has its own issues. You do have the travel factor, which I know I would dislike. That added travel time can be difficult and could be a detriment to you being in compliance with getting fills as needed. Bands can cause other issues as well. I know people who have had to have bands removed due to erosion issues. Of course, that is not everyone, and there is no way of knowing if you will be one of the people with band problems.

You really do have a lot to consider, and ultimately only you can make the decision.

Placing myself in the same position, as much as I know about it, I would go with the RNY revision and not allow the banding at this time. I think I would save it should this occur again. Personally, I cannot carve out enough time in my schedule to make a 2 hr drive for band fills and adjustments. That is one reason why I went towards the RNY. Secondly, I really do hate needles. The idea of the needles and getting the fills disturbs me.

I wish you the best. I hope you can make a decision you are comfortable with and works for you.

I agree if it were me I would go with the revision and give that a try first. I would think if you are not having anymore babies then you should be ok. I do think if you do not stay on plan that the same problem could happen again because it would cause you to gain weight thus causing the same problem again. It is a lot to think about maybe a second opinion would be in order. Best of luck to you.