• 6 posts
  • Hospital:Beth Israel Deaconess
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:240
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

I know that drinking after surgery is not recommended. I have discussed this with both the doctors and the nutritionist and have been told that wine on occasion is ok.
My question is a rather silly one. I know carbonated drinks are not allowed and have already given up soda, but I really love champagne. Can I never again have a glass of champagne? Not Evan one or two years after surgery.
I am commited to making this work and want to hear from others who have made this journey.
Please don't think I'm weak or not ready, I just want to know what I am really in for and to prepare myself.

Edited by Baddog, 11 September 2012 - 06:35 AM.

#2 Jeanie

Jeanie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. C
  • Surgery Date:07/07/2004
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

I'm not a fan of champagne anyways but I've had it to toast at a wedding or on New Years eve. Its really up to you & what your belly can handle. I wouldn't drink it to early out as the bubbles might hurt but a year or so out I don't see a problem. I have friends that have had GBS that drink beer and that has bubbles and they do fine with it. Trust me you are not the first person or the last to ask about having a drink. Do a search there's TONS of threads!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lap Dr. Callery

July 7, 2004

Savanna Annmarie was born on 10/14/2008 Morgan Jeanie was born 4/4/12

#3 PJH

PJH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Surgeon:Dr V L Nirujogi
  • Hospital:St Joseph's
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:317
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:01/16/2012

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

I was at a wedding this last weekend. I passed up sparkling grape juice just because I was worried about the bubbles. I just wasn't sure if it would hurt or not. I guess I am just to chicken to find out.

Since starting WLS Program

Posted Image

Since Surgery

Posted Image

#4 Kyra112

Kyra112

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:310
  • Current Weight:130
  • Goal Weight:135

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

I hear so many things about "bubbles", and once again it's one of those things that different doctors agree on. Mine said carbonation was fine, and I have carbonated water all the time, and have NEVER had a problem with it! EVER. It actually always settles my tummy it it's upset. And my surgeon and nutritionist both said the "stretching pouch by bubbles" is a ridiculous myth...You'll never know until you try I guess. However, personally, I drink carbonated water every day (the Refreshe kind from Wal Mart in Orange Creme flavor taste just like orange creme popscicles! and it's zero everything.) And I'm still kickin'. Also, my alcoholic beverage of choice (when at family events or just at home) is light beer, (in moderation of course, never daily or even weekly.. OR even monthly haha) But I've never ever had a problem, especially with carbonation. Neverrrr.
Surgery Date: 2/7/2011

Start Weight: 310

Current Weight:130

#5 farmington

farmington

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • Locationmichigan
  • Surgeon:chengelis
  • Hospital:beaumont
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:365
  • Current Weight:199
  • Goal Weight:199
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28.6
  • Surgery Date:06/11/12
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have heard, however, that the alcohol gets absorbed a lot quicker and a smaller amount is needed to get buzzed.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wm0vBbr/]
Posted Image

#6 MaraJayne

MaraJayne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationWinchester, VA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Glembot
  • Hospital:Winchester Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:313
  • Current Weight:168
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28.0
  • Surgery Date:09/09/2010

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

I am 2 years out (as of this past Sunday) and I do drink alcohol. It does take a lot less to get drunk, and you do have to be very careful. I never ever drink if I might have to drive. I was pretty strict about this before surgery, but because it doesn't always effect me the same now, I never take a chance. I also only drink with people I trust, because I don't need someone to goad me into drinking more than I should.

Aside from the fact that alcohol hits you differently post-surgery, there is also a concern of addiction-transferrence. The occasional drink at a wedding is not an issue, but drinking several times a week can be.

As far as carbonation goes, that just depends on what you can handle. I have a friend that is 8 years out and drinks diet coke every day. I cant do that. Every once in a while I'll have a carbonated drink, but too much hurts my belly. When I do drink alcohol, it's usually mixed with diet soda because I weigh out the carbonation against sugar in other mixers. I cannot drink beer, it's just WAY too carbonated.
Mara Jayne

Posted Image

313/288/166.6/160
High/Pre-S/Current/Goal

Posted Image

#7 Charmedd Hour

Charmedd Hour

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationBronx, NY
  • Surgeon:Jenny Choi, MD
  • Hospital:Montefiore Medical Center
  • Start Weight:242
  • Current Weight:129
  • Goal Weight:134
  • Surgery Date:3/28/2012

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

I have heard, however, that the alcohol gets absorbed a lot quicker and a smaller amount is needed to get buzzed.

I had about 4 ounces of wine two weeks ago, sipped on it for over an hour. I was totally trashed and actually passed out. Thankfully, I was home. Prior to surgery I was never much of a drinker but would occasionally have a couple of beers and be just fine.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtgUjW5/]
Posted Image

#8 AngelaMarie

AngelaMarie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Surgeon:Dr Suh
  • Hospital:Inland Valley
  • Start Weight:258
  • Current Weight:136
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:3/2/2012

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

I have tolerated vodka mixed with tea or sweet tea vodka with tea a couple of times fine. Its not something I will be doing much of and I get to feeling tipsy after just a few sips. It definitely hits me much harder than pre-op. So I try to not drink very much and I would never drive even after a few sips

#9 nanny is thinner now

nanny is thinner now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBaldwinsville NY
  • Surgeon:Dr Howard Simon
  • Hospital:Upstate University Syracuse NY
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:329
  • Current Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:12/07/2010

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

I will be 2 yrs out in Dec and I do drink not much I never did but once in a while, have not tried "bubbly" anything yet tho, but I would think as time goes on it is weather you can handle it or not, everyone handles everything differently. I did try cabonated soda about 10 mnths out and it tore me up and that was the end of that for me. I didn't need to try it again to see the Dr knows best..lol. I just had to try it I said "oh what the heck is he talking about a little diet shouldn't hurt" well I HAD to find out for myself and I sure did. So I would think in time you should be able to handle some chapange.