Photo
- - - - -

I am EXHAUSTED all the time! What's wrong with me?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 NC_Panda

NC_Panda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNear Raleigh, NC
  • Surgeon:Dana Portenier
  • Hospital:Durham Regional
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:330
  • Current Weight:186
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):30.9
  • Surgery Date:06/12/2012
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

RNY 06/12/12.

My first 6 weeks, I did NOT do well with protein, vitamins, calcium, etc., it was very hit and miss.

These days, I'm doing fairly well. I'm really good about taking my vitamins, I get all of my calcium in about 90% of the time (I don't do as good on the weekends) and I'm finally hitting at least 40mg protein per day. Water -- not doing well on that; on good days I can get in 6 cups or 48 oz.

I am SO TIRED! I'm not losing all that fast, either, especially this month. I work full time and by the weekend I am a zombie and I do nothing but sleep the entire weekend. I feel completely useless at home :( I do well to get my butt out of bed on Sundays by 9 to make it to church at 11.

I don't have sleep apnea --- I think I had a touch of it before surgery but it's definitely gone now. I have no trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep -- my problem is if left to myself, sans alarm clock, I will sleep at least 12 hours a night, sometimes 15. My thyroid is ok, too.

One of the main reasons I had this surgery was to have more energy; I'm so tired of being a slug! Other than my water intake (which I'll start hammering down more of today, I promise), what else could it be? This this normal for postop? Will it ever end?
The old order changeth, yielding place to new, And God fulfills Himself in many ways, Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

#2 Mellowmaddox

Mellowmaddox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Lane
  • Hospital:Mobile Infirmary
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:354
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:03/27/2012

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

I have really struggled with this exact same thing. The constant unrelenting fatigue has been my #1 complaint ever since surgery. They did all my labs and everything was fine with those. They finally attributed mine to hormones and said that it will get better over time. All I can do is try to exercise to help boost my energy & stamina and just pray these crazy hormones will settle down once the weight is off. Getting more water & protein does make a difference though. I know you are a couple of months behind me so I just want to encourage you that the water intake does get easier as you go and the protein does as well, even though that is my bigger struggle of the two at this point. I hope you start feeling more energy soon and that you start being able to really enjoy the benefits of this huge change you have made for yourself.

#3 Charmedd Hour

Charmedd Hour

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationBronx, NY
  • Surgeon:Jenny Choi, MD
  • Hospital:Montefiore Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:242
  • Current Weight:129
  • Goal Weight:134
  • Surgery Date:3/28/2012

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

How are your iron levels? Low/deficient iron will cause fatigue. The B vitamins are also another that help with energy. Do you take a B50 or a B12? What vitamins do you take? Are they ones that meet the ASMBS guidelines?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtgUjW5/]
Posted Image

#4 NC_Panda

NC_Panda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

My multivitamin (which is approved by my MD) has iron and B in it, I also take a sublingual B12 every day. I wonder if I should start sneaking in some extra iron just in case?
The old order changeth, yielding place to new, And God fulfills Himself in many ways, Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

#5 Charmedd Hour

Charmedd Hour

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationBronx, NY
  • Surgeon:Jenny Choi, MD
  • Hospital:Montefiore Medical Center
  • Start Weight:242
  • Current Weight:129
  • Goal Weight:134
  • Surgery Date:3/28/2012

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

My multivitamin (which is approved by my MD) has iron and B in it, I also take a sublingual B12 every day. I wonder if I should start sneaking in some extra iron just in case?

What brand vitamin are you on? My hospital is a Center of Excellence and their vitamin recommendation does not meet the minimum set forth by the ASMBS.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtgUjW5/]
Posted Image

#6 Jeanie

Jeanie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. C
  • Surgery Date:07/07/2004

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Have you recently went back to work? I know when I went back to work I was so tired for the 1st two weeks. I have to ask but could you be pregnant??? I know I was so freaking tired when I was 1st pregnant. I hope you figure out what it is soon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lap Dr. Callery

July 7, 2004

Savanna Annmarie was born on 10/14/2008 Morgan Jeanie was born 4/4/12

#7 CassMoxie

CassMoxie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Fermelia
  • Hospital:Cheyenne Regional Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:321
  • Current Weight:165
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25
  • Surgery Date:02/27/2012

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

I had to go on a rx strength iron tablet, since my iron was pretty low, even with taking an iron supplement every day. I've found that I get very lethargic at times, so perhaps yours has to do with a deficiency as well.
Referral from PCM - 7/28/11 ~ Psych Eval - 8/22/11 ~ Dietician and NP - 8/31/11
1st Surgeon Appt. Letter of Medical Necessity - 9/22/11 ~ Tricare Denied, req. 6 mos. diet - 10/5/11 - 2/7/12
Resubmitted to Tricare - 2/10/12 ~ Approved! - 2/14/12
~ Surgery date - 2/27/12

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#8 BobbyD

BobbyD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:369
  • Current Weight:139
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:05/04/2011

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

I bet you need more carbs!

I don't mean a bunch of junk food I mean real complex carbs. I bet if you add up your daily carbs
you're too low.

Consult with you NUT!

#9 kmsbanr

kmsbanr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Surgeon:Ioannis Raftopoulos MD PHD FACS
  • Hospital:St Francis Hospital's Bariatric Center, Hartford CT
  • Start Weight:213
  • Current Weight:121
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.6
  • Surgery Date:04/10/2012

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

Besides low iron,thyroid off I can think of a few other things that may be making you feel bad. I'm not your surgeon but looking at what you posted I would suggest your protein isn't high enough. The hospital I had my surgery in is a Bariatric Center of Excellence.the protein recommendation is your 1 gm of protein for every 2.2 pounds. Even though my weight is down he has had me continue with 75-100gms I usually get 100. I was warned in preop nutrition class that we have to get the correct amount of protein in for several reasons; healing, muscle building, to help lessen or prevent hair loss but most importantly for what we want to see weight loss. Same goes with the fluids a minimum of 48-64 oz a day. more in hot weather and if you have caffeine drinks(not rec for us now). Here is a link http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21925961 about research done concerning protein and weight loss. I would urge you to get more protein. Are you getting at least one high quality shake a day(whey isolate or egg white protein)?

If your vits are off they will affect you too. You could check your vits with what my center advises we take they follow the ASMBS guidelines. Daily: most multis take 2 a day have to use Bariatrics or Centrum/ B1 100-250mg a day / B12 sl 500mcg, inj or nasal spray (unless take one of two Bariatric multis)/ Calcium Citrate 1800mg-2000mg/ Zinc 10=20mg a day depending on your multi / iron depends on the brand and your iron level 60mg-106(on the supplement guidelines page) I also take 1200 Magnesium for bone health, 1000mg vitC among other supplements I have always taken. These are divide up during the day for better absorption.
Remember that our bodies try to protect us during the early surgery times too and think there is a famine. This is another link to an article from Gastric Bypass Family http://www.gastricby...ibernation.html About the same time as you I think, I posted here with my first stall. I was tired and crying this article helped me to at least understand. I have found a lot of good info there.
If allowed exercise can help you improve this fatigue and it will help with weight loss. GBF has a good article on plateaus too.
I hope these links actually work I'm not from the computer generation. Please work hard to get more protein and fluids and I think you'll perk up if you have no medical issues going on. Feel better soon.

Posted Image
1/2000 Highest Weight : 286# (Stopped weighing then) 11/27/11 First Appointment with DR. R: 207# 5'2.5"
3/10/11 Pre Surgery Appt Booked : 213# OMG (Didn't lose 10-20 lbs yet) 4/10/12 SURGERY DATE 196#
6/2512 161# OVERWEIGHT 9/10/12 NORMAL BMI 138# / 75# LOST GOAL 10/5/12!!!
*** HAPPY TO BE: * THIN * FIT * AND MOST OF ALL * HEALTHY *** THANK YOU DR.R! YOUR PLAN WORKED ***

#10 leorajs

leorajs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee
  • Surgeon:Dr. Melvin
  • Hospital:Vanderbilt
  • Start Weight:458
  • Current Weight:172
  • Goal Weight:200
  • Surgery Date:07/02/2012

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Ask your doctor if you should do this, but it seems you are not getting enough protein. Shoot for 60 grams a day. It makes a difference for my fatigue levels. Also, count anything you drink as part of your 'water' intake... tea, milk, etc. I thought I was not doing so well when in fact I was, after that one bout of dehydration anyway. Try flavoring your water, and try it ice cold and try warm drinks, too. I cannot imagine having to work right now. I am looking for work, and wonder if I am not pushing too hard.

I have discovered that my pouch is in control of me - one day it likes a hot tea, another day it does not. One day soup works, another day it does not. Try different things, even on the same day.

Also, I agree with BobbyD - consulting with your nutritionist cannot hurt.

weight.png

Almost there!

#11 Aunt Beck

Aunt Beck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. John Coon
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:335
  • Current Weight:228
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:8/10/12

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

Besides low iron,thyroid off I can think of a few other things that may be making you feel bad. I'm not your surgeon but looking at what you posted I would suggest your protein isn't high enough. The hospital I had my surgery in is a Bariatric Center of Excellence.the protein recommendation is your 1 gm of protein for every 2.2 pounds. Even though my weight is down he has had me continue with 75-100gms I usually get 100. I was warned in preop nutrition class that we have to get the correct amount of protein in for several reasons; healing, muscle building, to help lessen or prevent hair loss but most importantly for what we want to see weight loss. Same goes with the fluids a minimum of 48-64 oz a day. more in hot weather and if you have caffeine drinks(not rec for us now). Here is a link http://www.ncbi.nlm....21925961��about research done concerning protein and weight loss. I would urge you to get more protein. Are you getting at least one high quality shake a day(whey isolate or egg white protein)?

If your vits are off they will affect you too. You could check your vits with what my center advises we take they follow the ASMBS guidelines. Daily: most multis take 2 a day have to use Bariatrics or Centrum/ B1 100-250mg a day / B12 sl 500mcg, inj or nasal spray (unless take one of two Bariatric multis)/ Calcium Citrate 1800mg-2000mg/ Zinc 10=20mg a day depending on your multi / iron depends on the brand and your iron level 60mg-106(on the supplement guidelines page) I also take 1200 Magnesium for bone health, 1000mg vitC among other supplements I have always taken. These are divide up during the day for better absorption.
Remember that our bodies try to protect us during the early surgery times too and think there is a famine. This is another link to an article from Gastric Bypass Family http://www.gastricby...ibernation.html About the same time as you I think, I posted here with my first stall. I was tired and crying this article helped me to at least understand. I have found a lot of good info there.
If allowed exercise can help you improve this fatigue and it will help with weight loss. GBF has a good article on plateaus too.
I hope these links actually work I'm not from the computer generation. Please work hard to get more protein and fluids and I think you'll perk up if you have no medical issues going on. Feel better soon.

Would love to know what you are eating to get in 100 g of protein.

xB3ep0.png

#12 Kazkaren

Kazkaren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia
  • Surgeon:Dr Hopkins - Revision
  • Hospital:Holy Spirit Northside Brisbane
  • Height (ft-in):4-11
  • Start Weight:269.7
  • Current Weight:152.7
  • Goal Weight:154
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32.1
  • Surgery Date:12/07/2011

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

Protein helps me as well- I have a protein shake every day- 23-30 gms protein- good start to the day!

weight.png

weight.png

Kaz!

#13 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 27,064 posts
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

Along with what everyone else has suggested, I'd recommend adding a B Complex.

It's not unusual to be dragging our heels in the early weeks post-op. Something that can help with that is a B-50 Complex. The asmbs.org actually suggest it as an option - table 5 of this document: http://s3.amazonaws....s/bgs_final.pdf

Just make sure the one you get has all 8 B vitamins:

Vitamin B1 (thiamine)
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
Vitamin B3 (niacin or niacinamide)
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid)
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine, pyridoxal, or pyridoxamine, or pyridoxine hydrochloride)
Vitamin B7 (biotin)
Vitamin B9 (folic acid)
Vitamin B12 (various cobalamins; commonly cyanocobalamin in vitamin supplements)

The "50" bit refers to the dosage so if you can't find a B50, look for a B100 and take 1/2 the dose.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#14 technogal63

technogal63

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • LocationOrland Hills, IL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Brian Lahmann
  • Hospital:Silver Cross Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:284
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:156
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.6
  • Surgery Date:06/25/2012

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

Would love to know what you are eating to get in 100 g of protein.

I'm trying to get in that much protein per day as well. When I do manage it it's because I've used at least 2 Premier protein shakes per day (30g protein each), eaten 1/2 cup of Fage greek yogurt with 1/8 cup t.v.p granules added (18g protein), and something like a salmon burger (22g protein). Even adding 1 oz of turkey jerky as a snack can add 11g of protein. 1/2 cup of scrambled tofu with crumbled bacon and a Laughing Cow mini cheese is 48g of protein by itself. If you make good protein choices, you can get in quite a bit without overeating.
25706815.png
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#15 kmsbanr

kmsbanr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Surgeon:Ioannis Raftopoulos MD PHD FACS
  • Hospital:St Francis Hospital's Bariatric Center, Hartford CT
  • Start Weight:213
  • Current Weight:121
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.6
  • Surgery Date:04/10/2012

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

I still have my protein shakes for the most part as rec by my surgeon. If you go to one of the links up above one is to a study he did and had published. He is a huge proponent of protein and asked me at 2 weeks to stay on shakes and not go to food yet. His reasoning was that it is too hard for most early post ops to get the correct amount of protein when they need it the most. This wasn't forever and as a nurse it fit in my life easily and I wasn't hungry so I said ok. The benefits have been good for me. I plan when I'm going to eat food and when I am I still get all my protein but divide it in two shakes instead of three. Recently I became lactose intolerant and had to stop putting my powder in skim milk. I'm using 30 cal almond milk now but I add 1/3 extra scoop protein to make up for the loss of milk protein. However you get it protein is the key to feeling full, health and weight loss. In the first 6 weeks after surgery need the protein for healing.
Posted Image
1/2000 Highest Weight : 286# (Stopped weighing then) 11/27/11 First Appointment with DR. R: 207# 5'2.5"
3/10/11 Pre Surgery Appt Booked : 213# OMG (Didn't lose 10-20 lbs yet) 4/10/12 SURGERY DATE 196#
6/2512 161# OVERWEIGHT 9/10/12 NORMAL BMI 138# / 75# LOST GOAL 10/5/12!!!
*** HAPPY TO BE: * THIN * FIT * AND MOST OF ALL * HEALTHY *** THANK YOU DR.R! YOUR PLAN WORKED ***

#16 NC_Panda

NC_Panda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies -- I don't have much time to write so I can't address everything that's been asked.

I feel better today than I have in weeks. I took an iron pill yesterday and another one today -- maybe that's helped? I've also been trying REALLY hard to get more sleep and I've been drinking milk to increase my protein. I'm not sure which one of these things has worked but I do feel better.

I also broke down today and had someone at work show me how to use our fitness center -- the scale isn't moving for me and it's driving me crazy, I guess they're not kidding when they say exercise isn't optional!

#17 NC_Panda

NC_Panda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

I wanted to post a quick update on this:

I still have a lot of fatigue but it is better than it was, and I found out what the problem was.

It was a tooth!

I'd had a cavity in one of my back teeth that I had ignored for years. It would hurt me off and on but I'd just ignore it, slog through the pain and it'd eventually go away for weeks or months. Last month it started really bothering me and wouldn't stop. It finally had me in tears so I bit the bullet and saw a dentist and had it yanked. It was completely rotted (and this was a tooth that even had a filling in it!) and you could even see where the decay had hit the part where my nerve root was.

I told my dentist about how exhausted I'd been since my WLS and he said an infected tooth CAN cause severe fatigue, even if it doesn't look or feel all that severe. Like I said I still have fatigue (I have always, since birth, had less energy than most people) but having that tooth extracted helped a lot.

So ... just throwing that out there, hopefully it may help someone else someday.

#18 AngelaMarie

AngelaMarie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Surgeon:Dr Suh
  • Hospital:Inland Valley
  • Start Weight:258
  • Current Weight:136
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:3/2/2012

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Wow, amazing. The body is such an intricate thing. I am glad you are feeling better!