robmac287

Drinking after Gastric Bypass

Wine for me too

I don't drink soda any longer since surgery, but I bring a bottle of Vitamin Water Zero with me if I go out for a drink and mix with vodka. Vitamin Water Zero has 0 calories and 0 sugar. Not only does it go down well wwith my stoma, but there is typically no hangover feeling the next day. I highly recommend it!!

I know I already posted but I truly believe in the vitamin water zeros with a matching flavored vodka. absolut has been my choice cause they make the flavors to match the vitamin waters

Not sure what your point is. Do you want/need a buzz from the alcohol? If that's not the case, just order some Bloody Mary mix (if you feel the need to fit in) or better yet--just ask for a coffee. "Drinks" doesn't mean it has to be alcohol. I'm almost a year out from surgery and I'm still wary of anything that has the term, "use in moderation," attached to it (relating to my surgery). I loved bread before my surgery but the, "use in moderation," was enough to tell me to stay away from it--PERIOD. Does it look strange when I leave an entire basket of bread untouched at at restaurant? Maybe so, but I've worked too hard up to this point to let things, "used in moderation," be my downfall. I just accepted that fact that to have the appearance I want to have and to not weigh 400 pounds again, is going to take effort for the rest of my life. If you want to drink--then drink. If you want to drink and stay slim--it's gonna be a high-wire act. There is a guy on YouTube that I followed for well over a year after his RNY. He did an amazing job of giving all sorts of information and personal experiences related to his surgery. One of his videos mentioned that he loved beer before his surgery but that he was staying away from it. Then, he started mentioning that he had a beer every now and then. Then, he had a beer in hand in one of his videos and talked pretty much about nothing else but beer. The last time he posted a video was several months ago and it was obvious that he'd put on weight again. He said that he'd put on about 40 pounds but that he loved his beer and he was going to keep drinking it. He made his choices. He'd rather drink beer (alcohol) than remain thin. He didn't know it--but that video taught me more than all of his other videos combined. Good luck, Make wise choices.

Some people can do it, i.e. drink in moderation after RnY.  I'm pretty sure I'm not one of them.  I too love beer and I miss it horribly.  I haven't had any since my surgery, but I have had some vodka and a little is just not enough for me.  Right now, its easier not to have it.  Oddly enough, I don't think I miss beer for the buzz.  Before surgery, I rarely had more than one Corona.  But with vodka, I noticed I did drink it for the buzz.  And after surgery, vodka hits you so fast, and the affect is so strong, and short, that I can really see how easy it would be to shift addictions from food to booze.

As Clayton said so well above, " I just accepted that fact that to have the appearance I want to have and to not weigh 400 pounds again, is going to take effort for the rest of my life."