18 replies to this topic

#1 Daisymae

Daisymae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

Can you tell me how you felt, how many IVs did you have, how out of it were you, did you have any other tubes or things like catheters? Thanks

#2 Jeanie

Jeanie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. C
  • Surgery Date:07/07/2004
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

Ok this was 8+ years ago but here it goes. I had an IV and a catheter. I remember them waking me up and asking me if I was in pain & I looked at the nurse and said well now that you woke me up I am and she smiled then I asked her am I skinny yet and laughed a little. That was a mistake. Don't laugh right after it hurts! :( Good luck!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lap Dr. Callery

July 7, 2004

Savanna Annmarie was born on 10/14/2008 Morgan Jeanie was born 4/4/12

#3 AngelaMarie

AngelaMarie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Surgeon:Dr Suh
  • Hospital:Inland Valley
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:258
  • Current Weight:136
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:3/2/2012

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

I had an IV and a catheter and was very groggy and out of it. I remember nothing from the recovery room. I only remember when they got me to my room and I called my husband to come up from the waiting room. He could barely understand anything I said. I don't really remember being in pain from the surgery but my back hurt really bad, probably the gas.

#4 technogal63

technogal63

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • LocationOrland Hills, IL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Brian Lahmann
  • Hospital:Silver Cross Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:284
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:156
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.6
  • Surgery Date:06/25/2012

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

I woke up in the recovery room with an IV and a catheter and unfortunately in pain because I had an allergic reaction to the morphine. They gave me dilaudid and I don't remember much until I got to my room and they made me scoot myself from the gurney to my hospital bed. Wow, was that awful!

It did get better after that when I got on a regular pain med schedule and started walking. They took the catheter out the next morning and my IV out the 3rd day before I went home.
25706815.png
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#5 SlimSmitty

SlimSmitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationConnecticut ( CT )
  • Surgeon:Dr. Tim Ehrlich
  • Hospital:Griffin Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-11
  • Start Weight:328
  • Current Weight:200
  • Goal Weight:185
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:7/17/2012
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

I had one IV line, and a catheter which they put in after I was anesthetized. I woke up in the recovery room very sleepy, but determined to keep my eyes open for a little bit to see my family, then I went back to bed. I woke up when they were wheeling me into my room. I felt good enough to crawl (butt exposed and all!) onto my hospital bed and pass out again. I slept a half hour or so before waking up.

I thought I felt ok, a little off, but ok. I even walked a few laps before needing to lay down. I sipped on Isopure for a few hours, and eventually threw up. My nurse brought over IV meds and a sublingual of something, and after that I felt AMAZING. I felt like myself, and realized that the "off feeling" I had, wasn't normal. And I should have asked for anti-nausea medicine earlier.

Listen to your body, you'll be in pain, but if something doesn't feel "right" tell your doctor or your nurse as soon as you're able to. They're there to help you :) best of luck!!!!
Leslie
"Start by doing what is necessary. Then do what is possible... and suddenly you are doing the impossible." – St. Francis of Assisi

330 / 300 / 285 / 270 / 255 / 240 / 225 / 210 / 195 / 180 / 175
24 / 22 / 20 / 18 / 16 / 14 / 12 / 10 / 8

16839472.png
SlimSmittySleeved on MFP

#6 farmington

farmington

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • Locationmichigan
  • Surgeon:chengelis
  • Hospital:beaumont
  • Start Weight:365
  • Current Weight:199
  • Goal Weight:199
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28.6
  • Surgery Date:06/11/12

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Woke up with just an IV. Had a pain pump but really wasn't in much pain. I used it if I felt anything, but to be honest with you, I think I used it more than I should because I was fearing that BIG pain that comes when the anesthesia wears off. It never came. Got up 5 hours after surgery ended, went to the bathroom and walked a couple laps of the unit. Quit using the pain pump 3 hours later for good. Have taken NOTHING for pain since (8weeks post op) and feeling fantastic.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wm0vBbr/]
Posted Image

#7 CathyO911

CathyO911

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Surgeon:Dr. Read
  • Hospital:Good Samaritan Corvallis
  • Start Weight:324
  • Current Weight:188
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):30
  • Surgery Date:05/23/2012

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Woke up with an IV, that was it. I got pain meds when I was just waking up and that was the last time I needed any. I did have O2 on, just sitting in my nose but they took that off after a few hours.

No pain pump,no catheter, no drain, nothing like that. Pretty painless all things considered. I never needed any pain meds.

Cathy

Lap RNY May 2012
Beg weight. 2/1/2012 324
Surgery 5/23/12 301
Current 1/10/13 198

Wg40m7.png

#8 glocks90

glocks90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Surgeon:Dr. Zane
  • Hospital:Kaiser Harbor City
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:216
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:06/26/12

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Like I went to an AB class and did 1000 sit ups for the first day or two. My pain meds morphine drip through IV made me hyper so I didn't sleep well till I got home. But I was back to walking my dogs after a few days. But needed my tylenol with codeine to sleep.

Edited by glocks90, 01 August 2012 - 03:33 PM.

Posted Image

Met Goal 1 weighing less than my husband who is 6'2" !

#9 Daisymae

Daisymae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

How weird that they can cut your stomach and you don't need pain meds for days on end.
Thanks everyone. I'm trying to get a picture of all of the possibilities.

#10 Aunt Beck

Aunt Beck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. John Coon
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:335
  • Current Weight:228
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:8/10/12

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

I was just reading through my surgery packet and they said I could expect (in addition to the IV . pain pump and catheter) the following:

"Sequential compression stockings will be put on your legs to reduce the chance of getting blood clots. The pneumatic compression stockings will stay on during your entire hospital stay."

"Occasionally, as you wake up and become aware that you are OK, you will notice that you still have the endotracheal tube in your mouth and cannot talk. This tube is a breathing tube that facilitates your breathing and allows us to assist your breathing if needed. Sometimes, obese patients have trouble breathing deeply enough to get adequate oxygen. Using this tube we can be sure you are getting adequate oxygen. Typically, as you wake up and get stronger, we will take out the tube." Apparently, most people do not recall this as it generally gets taken out before the patient is fully aware, but they tell you so you don't freak out if it is there when you wake up.

Another section I found interesting was:

"Since the most common complication we see post operatvely is atelectasis, the nursing staff will litterly "drive you nuts" insisting that you cough, breathe deeply, get out of bed, at least walk around the room, and maybe even walk in the hallway. Atelectasis is a condition where the little air sacs in the lungs do not expand all of the way, thus causing mucus to collect in them. Because of this mucus collection, a fever often results. And if the lungs remain incompletely inflated, pneumonia is likely to result. Therefore, "suck away with great vigor" on the incentive spirometer. This is the funny looking plastic thing with the mouth piece attached to it and the floating piston inside that moves with your breathing. This little gizmo, stupid as it may look, is incredibly helpful in expanding those recalcitrant air sacs and eliminating atelectasis. By the way, all of this movement is also very helpful in keeping blood clots from forming. Since these blood clots can go to the lungs and plug the heart, keeping these blot clots from forming is of paramount importance. In addition to getting you out of bed, we will insist you keep the sequential compression stockings on your legs for the entire hospital stay."

There are also some very helpful threads about what to bring with you to the hospital. Good luck on your journey!

xB3ep0.png

#11 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,576 posts
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

I had an IV, catheter and a drain.

I woke up in recovery with a really bad case of the itching from the pain meds. But they gave me something for that.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#12 BugdocMom

BugdocMom

TT Master

• Community Mentor
  • 6,174 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Coon
  • Hospital:Parkview, Riverside, CA
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:238
  • Current Weight:123
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.1
  • Surgery Date:5/31/2011

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

I had an iv and a catheter. I did not have a drain. My incisions were not stitched or stapled. I was connected through IV to a dilaudid pain pump, which was a godsend! I blogged about my experience in as much detail as possible.

http://www.thinnerti...-remember-them/

http://www.thinnerti...g/page__st__160

#13 brittanybrittanybrittany

brittanybrittanybrittany

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Gabrielson
  • Hospital:Geisinger
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:279
  • Current Weight:250
  • Surgery Date:8/1/2012

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

My surgery was five days ago, on the first. I was in SO much pain, the second i opened my eyes but the post op. nurses did all they could to help me. I only woke up with an IV.

#14 Jeannev7

Jeannev7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Surgeon:Dr Bacal
  • Hospital:Oakwood
  • Surgery Date:08/08/2012

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

Just had my vsg surgery 2 days ago. Was hoping to to home today but doc wants me in another day.
I too woke up w an IV and catheter. I knew already that I was allergic to morphine so they gave me dilauded. Second day every narc they tried made me vomit and have dry heaves. Couldnt keep water down.
So we decided to switch to reg Tylenol and this is working much better for me. Still have the pain but better than getting sick and not keeping anything down. Bc they will let I go until u can at least that's my docs response.
Just listen to your body and remember just bc they order drugs for u u have the right to refuse them. And totally agreement w the walking and just get those fluids down sip by sip. If u have a bad day just focus on a better tomorrow. Best wishes!! ; )

Posted Image

#15 nestingdoll

nestingdoll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationNV
  • Surgeon:Ganser
  • Hospital:Renown south meadows
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:268
  • Current Weight:159
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25.7
  • Surgery Date:3/19/2012

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

.....you can also refuse half of the narcs....it's not all or nothing. They knock me out, so I tend to only take half or only take the anti nausea meds that they order with the narcs....they knock me out too, so I have no pain. Also, only woke up with I've, cath, and pca pump for meds, lovely stockings were in place before surgery like the inflatable gown.
Nestingdoll
"Confidence is going after Moby Dick in a row boat....and bringing the tartar sauce." Unknown
PCP Referral Date: 1/3/12 10:15amPsych Eval: 1/3/12 4pm Sx Consult: 1/24/12 1015amNutritionist: NUT Eval: 1/30/12 8am NUT 2:
Diagnostics: RMR: 1/26/12 11am h-pylori test: 1/26/12 1130amSteps to Success class: 1/26/12 115pmTRICARE APPROVED ME! (2/7/2012)
Surgery Date: 3/19/2012

Posted Image

#16 SpartanMama

SpartanMama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX
  • Surgeon:Dr. Cavazos
  • Hospital:Foundation Surgical Hospital
  • Start Weight:366
  • Current Weight:265
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:06/05/2012

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

I woke up with 2 IV's, the pain buster (A ball of anesthetic that runs through a tiny tube right into the surgical site), oxygen via nasal canula and the sequential compression socks. I was in a good amount of pain in the recovery room, but it was all from gas. Once I got to my room and woke up enough I got to walking, which made all the difference in the world. I was off of the narcotics by day 3, when I went home. I was ok with just Tylenol. I didn't really ever have an incisional pain, just some discomfort in my lower right side.

The absolute worst part of all of it was not having anything, not even getting to brush my teeth, for a full 24 hours. I was begging my husband to just wet a paper towel to wipe my mouth with, but of course he wouldn't do it.

Posted Image

#17 bobiodom

bobiodom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationdenison texas
  • Surgeon:dr.cernero
  • Hospital:Texoma Medical Center Denison Tx.
  • Start Weight:298
  • Current Weight:198
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32.9
  • Surgery Date:06/20/2012

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Honestly I woke up with 1 iv and no catheter. I was in and out right after surgery. They gave me morphine and something else for inflammation. I was uncomfortable when the pain medication would start to wear off. For the most part it was the gas that was horrible. The one thing noone told me about was the burping when I would drink. I thought I would vomit the first drink of water I took. I had no idea how to burp. My hubby had to teach me how to. With our tiny stomachs the air gets trapped and everything is inflamed so it feels awful. I remember once I started to really come around I got up and went to the bathroom and started to walk a little at a time. But walking is very important and it helps relax your body and relieve some of the gas built up during surgery. I hope this helps.
Posted Image

#18 ✿ Paula ✿

✿ Paula ✿

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs
  • Surgeon:Dr. Schoen
  • Hospital:University of Colorado
  • Start Weight:225
  • Current Weight:123
  • Surgery Date:05/26/2011

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

IV, catheter, NG tube, JP drain and pain pump.
I recall grogginess and my left side hurt for sometime. It was the diaphram area.
The catheter was not a big deal to remove. I have had several NG tubes and those are not fun coming out.
The JP drain stayed in during my 6 day hospital stay and the week after at home. Most I have heard said it was not too bad being removed. I didn't like it one bit, and I personally think it was because it was in for so long.
If you go home with the JP drain, I liked to hang it from a lanyard around my neck for shower time. I also found that easier than pinning to my undergarments.

Posted Image

My husband said to me, " You come with instructions now ! "

#19 niecy_nurse

niecy_nurse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Surgeon:Dr. Robert Casillas
  • Hospital:Kaiser West Los Angeles
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:269
  • Current Weight:193
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):30
  • Surgery Date:06/15/2012

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

I woke up with an IV and a dilaudid PCA pump. They took out my catheter a few hours after surgery. The dilaudid made me so sleepy, so I rarely used it. My goal was to be out of my bed a few hours post-op and I accomplished my goal. Of course the hardest part was trying to drink 30 cc's of water the next day. LOL.

weight.png
Highest weight: 269 lbs
First post-op appt (11 days) with surgeon: 249 lbs
First appt (13 days) with bariatrician: 245.5 lbs

August 15, 2012- 2 months post-op -33 lbs
September 15, 2012- 3 months post-op -44 lbs
October 15, 2012- 4 months post-op -47 lbs
November 15, 2012- 5 months post-op -51 lbs
December 15, 2012- 6 months post-op -58 lbs

March 3, 2013- 9 months post-op -65 lbs