• Hospital:GBMC
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:250
  • Current Weight:163
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:10/20/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

ugh so im sure everyone is tired of me talking about how i will fail at losing this weight but its becoming reality. i will be 9 months out from surgery on the 20th of this month. i have only lost 65 lbs. weight loss is completely stopped which seems like for eternity. i no im done i just no it. I've tried everything...upping water, increase calories, decrease calories and i exercise 3-4 times a week usually the treadmill or do Leslie sansone dvds. i just don't no what to do..i get so discouraged seeing everyone who has or.is loosing so much weight and doing amazing and then there's me the failure. i no no one cam tell me how to loose the weight but it.helps to write all this down. thanks for listening

#2 rogejs1

rogejs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:247
  • Current Weight:137
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:5/8/2012

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Have you spoke to your provider or perhaps a nutritionist. They may be able to help you figure out if there is something you can do different. You have lost 65lbs though and that is nothing to shake your head at. Stick with your program and your body will respond.
Posted Image

#3 WoundNurse09

WoundNurse09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Surgeon:Dr. Charles Callery
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:256
  • Current Weight:154
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.4
  • Surgery Date:07/02/2012

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

I would talk to your surgeons RD an ask for advice
Posted Image

#4 suziebelle

suziebelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Surgeon:Dr Tanaka
  • Hospital:Scripps Mercy
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:274
  • Current Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):19.0
  • Surgery Date:04/17/2012

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

Try mixing up your exercise. Chris Powell (Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition) says if you do the same exercise for 6 days your body adjusts to it. Try a Zumba class or water aerobics or Jillian Michaels Yoga.

Good luck!

Posted Image

#5 Nana60

Nana60

Really really old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts
  • LocationBonita, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Rumsey
  • Hospital:Pacific Bariatric
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:229
  • Current Weight:138
  • Goal Weight:139
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.6
  • Surgery Date:08/23/2011

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

i feel for you. Our stats are not that different. I was basically done at 8 months out and have only lost a pound or two since then. Thankfully for me I was pretty much at goal. I certainly would ask your nutritionist or surgeon for some help. Don't give up though.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFVxgPG/]
Posted Image
[/url]

#6 tdono2

tdono2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Surgeon:Dr. Valerie Halpin
  • Hospital:Legacy Good Samaritan
  • Start Weight:335
  • Current Weight:307
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):48.4
  • Surgery Date:7/11/12

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

My physical therapist warned us in the orientation that there would come a point when we would need to up our exercise. And it could take a couple of weeks for that to work. The expectation is that eventually, for maximum weight loss and eventually maintenance, you need to exercise 6 days a week. Alternate cardio & weight training, when we plateau, change up the types of exercises and increase the cardio. Then increase the weight training, and so on. The more muscle mass you put on, the more fat you will lose.

I know I'm barely out of surgery and I still have all the challenges that I'm going to face, but I have to trust in the team I chose to work with on this journey. They work with hundreds of people every year and know what they are talking about.

You're not that far from your goal, you're a lot healthier than when you started your journey, at this point, I think you are a success! Just keep up with the workouts and keep healthy. Talk to your NUT and your Physical Therapist. If you don't have a PT, talk to your surgeon's office and see if they can recommend one who is familiar with the needs of a person who has had gastric bypass surgery. You can do this! We all believe in you, you have to believe in you too. ;)
Posted Image

My Weight Chart:
Posted Image
>

Goal #1 - 310, BMI under 50, Goal #2 - 255, BMI under 40, Goal #3 - 215 (first wedding), BMI under 35, Goal #4 - Onederland!!!!, Goal #5 - 185 (high school weight!), BMI under 30, Goal #6 - 155, BMI Under 25, Goal #7 - Find MY perfect weight and maintain!

#7 Lilybet

Lilybet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Surgeon:Ameet Patel
  • Hospital:King's College Hospital
  • Start Weight:238
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.3
  • Surgery Date:05/06/2012

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

First off, dump the negative 'I'm gonna fail' thoughts. Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're generally right. So get your head back in the game of I'm doing this, no ifs, ands or buts.

Secondly, one advantage of this surgery is that in the initial 6 months, it's kind of easy to lose weight, I'm 10 weeks out and I can't help but lose weight right now, my calorie level has dropped, my activity level is up but I'm not really exercising (just now starting to put together my exercise routine) and with minimal effort, I'm succeeding. But this is temporary. My background was that I started out to be a dance major in college and got pulled more and more into kinesiology and nutrition and ended up in the pre-med program from it. And I lost almost 70 lbs before, through low-carb and exercise but then let my routine stagnate, got bored, started dropping workouts, put on 15 lbs and then got pregnant and ill, that was the slippery slope that derailed my life last time. I know very well that I can't get lazy or self-satisfied, that having my health means putting the time in and keeping it challenging and fun, for the rest of my life. Exercise is key.

Leslie Sansone isn't a challenging workout, sorry. I would have my 70 year old mother do her fitness DVDs but you're young and need to get your heart rate right up there and she's more of a housewifes special. And exercising 3-4 days a week is maintenance level. You don't want to maintain, you want to lose. So increase your workouts to 5-6 days. You should take a daily 'constitutional' walk so that you're moving 7 days. Walking isn't the kind of exercise you need to rest from. Look at the intensity of your walking too, aim for a 20 minute mile, then try to get it down to 18 minutes, then to 15 minutes. Walk faster rather than longer at first, to get that intensity up a bit. Then stretch it out, try for 2 miles in 30 minutes. Go to the library and check out different DVDs or look at local fitness classes. If you do Zumba one night, regular aerobics one night, swim laps one night, do a couple of new dvds the other two nights, you'll be seeing results and having more fun with exercise than hanging with Leslie Sansone 3 nights a week. :o)

Now is just the time that it's going to be a bit more like a Biggest Loser episode, you're going to have to work hard for those results. But you're young and healthy, get that pedometer and go, 4 miles is roughly your daily 10,000 steps, take them. Sign up for some dance or sports classes you're interested in. Focus on the positive efforts you're making, how far you've come and keep your goal firmly in mind, not just to see the scale number go down but to be fit, healthy, enjoying life!

142zp1.png

1st year goals: 230/222/214/206/198/190/182/174/166/158/150/142

#8 mommytyree

mommytyree

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • LocationMN
  • Surgeon:Dr.Schwartz
  • Hospital:St. Josephs
  • Start Weight:297
  • Current Weight:153
  • Goal Weight:158
  • Surgery Date:07/30/2012

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

well said lilybet !! im gonna print your comment and read it everyday !!

weight.png

Highest 297lbs, DOS 266lbs, Current 153lbs

Goal weight 158lbs. Secret goal 150lbs :P 

#9 amm489

amm489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Liao

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

thank you all for the responses! and lilbet you are so right! thats it no more feeling sorry for myself! and i gotta kick up the exercise and not just do it at home, i think i will start at a gym! or maybe even running then just my normal fast pace walk on the treadmill. thanks for your info!!

#10 nestingdoll

nestingdoll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationNV
  • Surgeon:Ganser
  • Hospital:Renown south meadows
  • Start Weight:268
  • Current Weight:159
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25.7
  • Surgery Date:3/19/2012

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

Lilybet----You're my kind of Jillian Michaels! Wanna be my trainer??

@amm---just another thought--Have you been keeping a food journal? If yes, I'd take it with me and make an appointment with the NUT. While there, I'd ask for a repeat BMR test, which I'd gladly pay cash for. If you KNOW how much your body burns resting AND you're keeping a food journal, it's easy math. You may think of switching to something like myfitnesspal or sparkpeople so you can track carbs, fats, cals....to help your doc and NUT isolate a change you can make. If you're not keeping a food journal, I'd bet that something has sneaked up on you. YOU CAN DO THIS! I agree with Lilybet....this is crunch time, and your honeymoon clock is ticking. Go nuts! Kickboxing, rock climbing, yoga-lates, aqua zumba, .....join a gym and kick your own butt! (my surgeon's office partnered with a local gym to give us GIANT discounts.) See what's out there. YOU'VE GOT THIS!
Nestingdoll
"Confidence is going after Moby Dick in a row boat....and bringing the tartar sauce." Unknown
PCP Referral Date: 1/3/12 10:15amPsych Eval: 1/3/12 4pm Sx Consult: 1/24/12 1015amNutritionist: NUT Eval: 1/30/12 8am NUT 2:
Diagnostics: RMR: 1/26/12 11am h-pylori test: 1/26/12 1130amSteps to Success class: 1/26/12 115pmTRICARE APPROVED ME! (2/7/2012)
Surgery Date: 3/19/2012

Posted Image

#11 AngelaMarie

AngelaMarie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Surgeon:Dr Suh
  • Hospital:Inland Valley
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:258
  • Current Weight:136
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:3/2/2012

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

Sorry Amm...I can see you are frustrated and I don't blame you. And I have to admit that I am not exercising much and I know I should be. I know I could be loosing even more if I would make the time. I have got to get motivated on the exercise front!

#12 CathyO911

CathyO911

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Surgeon:Dr. Read
  • Hospital:Good Samaritan Corvallis
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:324
  • Current Weight:188
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):30
  • Surgery Date:05/23/2012

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

I so totally agree with Lilybet. If you focus on failing, you are going to fail. It is just a given. Focus on one day at a time and doing all you can in that one day. The weight loss slows down and that is just how it goes.

I think it is a great idea you are going to look into joining a gym. Maybe you can get some time with a trainer to give you a workout plan? They have group training at my gym which costs less and you train with others in your group. That might work for you. Some people like a more social kind of workout and feel motivated to do more when there are others there to work with.

Good luck!

Cathy

Lap RNY May 2012
Beg weight. 2/1/2012 324
Surgery 5/23/12 301
Current 1/10/13 198

Wg40m7.png

#13 PghManda

PghManda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationPa
  • Start Weight:333
  • Current Weight:164
  • Surgery Date:06/07/2012

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

It has to be discouraging for you, but you have to have a positive attitude moving forward. As others have said, 65 lbs. is nothing to scoff at! Also, you have less to lose than many others, which means it will come of slower than those of us who are bigger. You're doing great.

"Success is sweet and sweeter if long delayed and gotten through many struggles and defeats." Amos Bronson Alcott
35249319.png

#14 amm489

amm489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

So i just looked at Brick Bodies and they have a program to start 60 days for $60, it includes pool access and access to all of there stuff, and a session 2 a week for those 60 days with a personal trainer. im thinking this is a good idea. its about 10 min from where i work so i wouldnt have any excuse to go. thinking i should do this and maybe it will bump up my weight loss. ill try anything at this point!

#15 ckcalif42

ckcalif42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Baggs
  • Hospital:Kaiser Richmond
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Current Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.6
  • Surgery Date:11/17/2011

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'd just add a few notes. 1) is how much did you have to lose? I know it's easy to look at others and hear the numbers but that math may not make sense for you. You started at 250 and some folks start at over 350 or more! 2) So take the total number you had to lose and then look at the number of months you have left in 1 year to 14 months and think about what your average is. For me, I lose about 5 pounds a month still - I am on my 8th month. I've lost 80 pounds since surgery. I only expect to lose another 20-40 at best. So it's probably 5 pounds a month and then 2-3 pounds a month.

Sounds like you have a good plan and you are stayin on the boards listening to folks which is awesome. I'm sure you will find success!

#16 amm489

amm489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

thank you for your support! and true, im just hoping my honeymoon and loosing phase still last at least a year and a half out if not more! idk what the average time frame is, ive heard ppl say a year and then some ppl say at 2 years out they are still losing

#17 ckcalif42

ckcalif42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Baggs
  • Hospital:Kaiser Richmond
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Current Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.6
  • Surgery Date:11/17/2011

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Oh and one more thing! Did you have to lose any weight BEFORE your surgery? Most people count that in their number. So I first went to the doc in June 2011 and was 268. That's the number I track from. This morning I weighed 168. Woot woot! But it's only 80 pounds from my surgery weight - since I lost 20+ between June - October.

So don't read too much into other people's numbers.

The only person in the race you are running is YOU!

#18 Losinglisa

Losinglisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Surgeon:Keith Gersin
  • Hospital:Mercy, Charlotte NC
  • Start Weight:276
  • Current Weight:139
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:11/01/2011

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Exercise is the key! I know that the only reason I am still losing consistently is because I have become an exercise- crazed fool! I do Zumba 4 days a week, body shaping 4 days a week, elliptical or treadmill every day, with some weights and yoga thrown in for good measure. If I don't do it, I don't lose . Never thought I would enjoy it, but now I actually do, but it did take some time. Good luck to you -- you can do this!

#19 Lilybet

Lilybet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Surgeon:Ameet Patel
  • Hospital:King's College Hospital
  • Start Weight:238
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.3
  • Surgery Date:05/06/2012

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

The gym near work sound brilliant, the price is fab, it's nearby and access all areas. This will be such a boost for you!

I'm still working on my exercise routine but there's an 1.5 hour outdoor walk that's meeting up at the pub near my house on August 23rd and I really want to join it. It's more than I've done in the past 10 years, there will be some hills and stiles to get over but I think that will be my training goal for now. Walking habit and some weight work, with a bit of pilates thrown in because I like it. ;)

Any fitnessy/moving sort of thing you'd like to prepare for coming up?

142zp1.png

1st year goals: 230/222/214/206/198/190/182/174/166/158/150/142

#20 amm489

amm489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:11 AM

Not really anything i want to prepare for that is coming up but when i sign up for the gym im sure me and the trainer will make some goals, i just wanna loose this last bit of weight and hopefully this will give me the push i need. Thanks so much for your encouragment, im looking forward to getting these last 30 pounds off of me!