• LocationOregon
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:290
  • Current Weight:172
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Surgery Date:06/01/12
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

Has anyone else had the feeling when they eat that they dont get that full feeling that is talked about all the time? I stop myself at 1/4 of a meal so to not overeat since I do not seem to ever get that full feeling that was talked about before surgery. I also am NEVER hungry, I have to force myself to eat.
Is this normal??? Shouldn't I be feeling full after eating? It is easy to stop but it just seems weird and not sure if it is just a fear of overeating that I dont eat enought to fill me.
Thanks,

#2 BugdocMom

BugdocMom

TT Master

• Community Mentor
  • 6,281 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Coon
  • Hospital:Parkview, Riverside, CA
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:238
  • Current Weight:123
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.1
  • Surgery Date:5/31/2011

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

In the first several weeks, you may not feel "restriction" or fullness in your new pouch simply because the nerves that are responsible have been cut during surgery and have not yet healed and begun communicating properly yet. You should gain more normal sensation as you heal more. This is a major reason it is important to measure your food in the beginning, to avoid overfilling your new pouch when you cannot rely on normal sensation.

#3 Martee

Martee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAllegan, MI
  • Surgeon:Dr. Scholten / Dr. Schram
  • Hospital:Spectrum - Blodgett
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:257
  • Current Weight:167
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.2
  • Surgery Date:10/12/2010

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

I second BugdocMom. I'm 21 months postop and still have never experienced a "full" sensation, and I can tolerate anything and everything without ill effect. I have to rely solely on measuring / weighing my food to accurately journal my food intake and maintain my dietitian goals.

I do remember, though, being where you are at and wondering if I was eating too much. Something I had to get in my head quickly was "just because I can doesn't mean I should." I realized the importance of measuring and weighing very quickly.

Follow your dietitian's / surgeon's plan, and you should be fine. Believe me, your system will tell you if it can't tolerate something or if it is too much (or so I am told).

Change only happens when the pain of holding on is greater than the fear of letting go.
~ Anonymous ~

"You were born with potential. You were born with goodness and trust. You were born with ideals and dreams. You were born with greatness.
You were born with wings. You are not meant for crawling, so don't. You have wings. Learn to use them and fly."
~ Mevlana Jelalu'ddin Rumi ~

"If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution."
~ Anonymous ~

#4 andykat

andykat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:290
  • Current Weight:172
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Surgery Date:06/01/12

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thank you for the information. I will continue as I am. :) I was just not sure if I was doing something wrong.

#5 Jessidawn

Jessidawn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationMissouri
  • Surgeon:Dr. Delatorre
  • Hospital:Missouri university hospital
  • Start Weight:277
  • Current Weight:145
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:06/11/2012

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm having this same problem! I can eat a lot and I'm four weeks post op. I just try to eat only a bit at a time, til I don't feel that feeling of being hungry, and then I stop myself. It's very frustrating and scary.
Highest Wt. 320 lbs. Wt at start of Pre-op liquid diet: 287 Wt at surgery: 277
Posted Image

#6 BobbyD

BobbyD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:369
  • Current Weight:139
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:05/04/2011

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

I made the same post as you last year. It was because of the nerve numbness and it lasted about 4 months then I couldn't eat much anymore because it hurt after a few bites. Now I get full pretty quick but I also get hungry pretty quick so I eat several times per day.

#7 lovinmeagain

lovinmeagain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Surgeon:Friedman
  • Hospital:Baptist
  • Start Weight:265
  • Current Weight:175
  • Surgery Date:02/06/2012

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

Hello I am only five months out but it wasnt long ago I asked myself the same thing. Early out you are eating softer foods that slide into your pouch much easier. When you move up to eating protein like chicken and steak you will feel fuller or at least I did. THe protein shakes, yogurts and puddings never made me feel full.
<p>You get out of life what you put in to it.

Goal #1 under 250, #2 under 240, #3 drop to a size 14, #4 under 200 lbs
Goal4 Size 12, Goal 5 under 180, Goal 6 Under 160, Goal 7 Size 10

Posted Image

#8 mjune

mjune

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-01
  • Start Weight:246
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:136
  • Surgery Date:06/21/2010

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

Just keep measuring. The full feeling will come with time. Even when it does though, measuring is still the best way to stay in compliance with best practices for us.
June

Posted Image

#9 Loraabby

Loraabby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:335
  • Current Weight:145
  • Surgery Date:06/21/2010

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Ditto with me. I'm 2 years post op and I've never eaten to the point where I feel full. I also haven't felt hunger in the last 2 years. I measure and pretty much know my limit when I eat. I also don't crave food at all. I am used to all these changes now and I'm not sure what I'll do if and when they come back! lol. Good Luck!!

Gastric Bypass - Dr Carl Nohr - June 21, 2010

Panni - Dr Carl Nohr - June 21 2012

#10 hlk5

hlk5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Richard Boorse
  • Hospital:Lehigh Valley Hospital- Cedar Crest
  • Start Weight:264
  • Current Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:05/23/2012

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

I didn't feel full after eating until after the fourth week. I'm almost seven weeks out and I can definitely tell when I've had enough. I believe it has to do with the nerves regenerating.

#11 kmj.1

kmj.1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:251
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:06/28/2012
  • Surgery Type:Revision

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I asked the same question myself. I'm 2 weeks post op and haven't felt fullness but once (I think) and then it was only a feeling of pressure after eating liquid/pureed food. I now eat blended/finely chopped (pepper consistency) chicken and other foods and don't feel full. I have to stop myself, which scares me because this is the problem I had which gained my weight...stopping. I hope the full feeling comes fast. I sometimes notice I'm eating up to 4 oz instead of the 2 oz I should. I am trying to discipline myself to stop at 2 oz but I forget sometimes. Any positive words of encouragement or experience is appreciated. Thanks!

#12 bigmamac89

bigmamac89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids
  • Surgeon:Dr nagel
  • Hospital:St marys
  • Start Weight:380
  • Current Weight:328
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):51
  • Surgery Date:06/25/2014
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

I had my surgery June 25th so I'm 4 weeks post op and I'm stuck! Not losing not gaining. I never feel full. I can eat 5-7 crackers and still feel hungry. I am a little worried. And now my body is over dehydrated and not absorbing fluid. =/

#13 Lennie

Lennie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Surgeon:Scott Pennington
  • Hospital:Trinity Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:230
  • Current Weight:152
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.8
  • Surgery Date:02/24/2014

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

You have to do your fluids and protein minimum. A stall at week three is very common. You just need to stick to your plan and be patient. It took you a while to gain all that weight and it will take a while to lose it, even with WLS.

weight.png

#14 GAviv

GAviv

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Surgeon:Dr. Tillquist
  • Hospital:Swedish Medical Center
  • Start Weight:234
  • Current Weight:122
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.0
  • Surgery Date:12/26/2012

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

I had my surgery June 25th so I'm 4 weeks post op and I'm stuck! Not losing not gaining. I never feel full. I can eat 5-7 crackers and still feel hungry. I am a little worried. And now my body is over dehydrated and not absorbing fluid. =/

I have no clue what over dehydrated means...that said, up your fluids a lot!

Also, crackers have like zero nutritional value. You need protein. I saw your other thread, and they protein does not need to come in the form of a shake.
~ Greer

#15 Brooke Danielle

Brooke Danielle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Surgeon:Dr. Prickett
  • Hospital:Palmetto Health Baptist
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:307
  • Current Weight:195
  • Goal Weight:185
  • Surgery Date:01/23/2014

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

I had the same concerns. It took me about a month to start feeling full after eating. I literally felt deprived. Like I was starving! It will definitely get better, I promise. I'm still not one of the lucky ones that never gets hungry, but I fill up very quick when I eat. My 3 year old son eats more than me:)

#16 happy78

happy78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Surgeon:Aranow
  • Surgery Date:06/11/2014
  • Surgery Type:Revision

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I am 7 weeks out and have only felt "full" twice - which was weird because I had eaten the same thing three days in a row, everything measured. Who knows. I wish I felt full. I never feel hungry per se, but I also never feel satisfied if that makes sense.

#17 Selmasky

Selmasky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationPortage, Mi
  • Surgeon:Dr. Verseman
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:253
  • Current Weight:163
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):40.3
  • Surgery Date:04/08/2013

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

I'm a year and 3 months out and very rarely do I ever get the full feeling. I sometimes am angry because I feel like I missed out on an important part of this tool. The only food that gives me the full feeling is very dry meats. However, it has forced me to really change my lifestyle. I run 5 times a week, count calories and have recently removed most processed foods. I've lost a 100 pounds but I feel it had everything to do with changes to my metabolism and very little to my pouch. Now, over a year out...it's all about lifestyle change.

#18 Buddymiles5

Buddymiles5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD
  • Surgeon:Liao
  • Hospital:GBMC
  • Height (ft-in):6-03
  • Start Weight:489
  • Current Weight:330
  • Goal Weight:250
  • Surgery Date:10/3/13

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

I am 7 weeks out and have only felt "full" twice - which was weird because I had eaten the same thing three days in a row, everything measured. Who knows. I wish I felt full. I never feel hungry per se, but I also never feel satisfied if that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense and that is what I have struggled with. I dont consistently get a feeling of full, even if I eat a good bit more than what I am supposed to be able to handle (occassionally though, a couple bites of something dense will make me ill, go figure.) But I also do not get hungry like I used to. This begs the question, why eat too much if you are not hungry? Remember this is just a tool, and for me the tool is limited to curbing my hunger. Ihave to be the one to take advantage of this by only eating when I am hungry, not when I am feeling head hunger.

#19 akalidia6321

akalidia6321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationDC
  • Start Weight:427
  • Current Weight:295
  • Goal Weight:260
  • Surgery Date:08/23/2013

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:49 AM

There are days when sipping water makes me to full and just miserable. I used to get the feeling of full at the beginning and the loud stomach growl but both have left me since gallbladder surgery. I am able to eat a saucer of salad with a half of a turkey burger and it scares me that I am eating to much. I have been testing in weight between 310 and 318 for over a month no matter how much exercise I increase, water I increase or decrease, protein I increase. I am just scared the feeling of full has left and may not return. I will be celebrating my one year surgerversary on the 23rd......Any suggestions on how to drop these last 18 pounds to get me in to twoterville? Any suggestions on how to find my full feeling again?

BLESSINGS MY FRIEND  :)     http://tickers.Ticke...6gYA/weight.png