• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
mjune

Spirulina

7 posts in this topic

Does anybody know if spirulina is a good protein for our use?

What is the nutrition value (calories, fat, carbs, protein, etc....)

Funny you should post about spirulina - I tried it yesterday for the first time - this one: http://www.vitacost.com/starwest-botanicals-organic-spirulina-powder

I decided to go on a bit of a health kick and bought some Nature's Plus Fruitein® Revitalizing Green Foods Shake so I could add the spirulina to it because of the health benefits of the stuff.

You'd have to go some on the spirulina to make much of a mark with the protein. 1 level tablespoon has 4g of protein (64g in a cup).

After throwing away the first drink with 1 tbsp in it - the smell alone would have gagged a maggot, I settled on 1 tsp. Now, I like nori etc. but although I managed to finish the shake, the spirulina hit the bin. On top of which, I tried it at work and ended up with a stained green lips and tongue.

To me, the smell resembled a rancid fish tank and it'd need some creative masking before I could drink it again - I've got a friend who adds it to juiced apples, carrots and celery.

Capsule form is another option but you'd need a good 20 plus to get any benefits - which it certainly has but I wouldn't consider it an option for the protein.

That is so funny Cinwa.... I'm guessing it's a no then.........

Bummer. Thanks. I knew I'd find an answer here though. Muuah!

That is so funny Cinwa.... I'm guessing it's a no then.........

LOL! For me - a definite no! But it's a pity.

Provided it's bought from a reliable source (because of the risk of contamination with heavy metals, bacteria and a group of liver toxins called microcystins), it has many health benefits.

Sounds yummy... :eek: