• Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:309
  • Current Weight:171
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31
  • Surgery Date:03/31/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

Just curious if anyone has had tear duct surgery. I had it last week, and for the last 2 days, everytime I use my Tobramycin Dexamethasone drops 3 times a day in my eye, about 10 minutes later blood pours out of my nose for about 2 minutes. My two doctors (tear duct and ENT) never heard of such a thing. Figures. So I just wondered if ANYONE ever heard about this. I am not using the drops till I can figure this out.

Also, because of the tons of vitamins and protein drinks, I started looking into them for a blood thinner ingredient, but I don't think my celebrate multi and my calcium pill and my B1 and B12 and Biotin are causing it.

Anyways, thanks.
How am I going to live today in order to create the tomorrow I'm committed to? ~Anthony Robbins

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.~Confucius

First Dr. Appt: 6/3/10;Internist,Psych,Surgeon Dr. Z: 8/20/10;Nut Appt: 8/26;Orientation Mtg: Pac Bariatric 7/2
Cardiologist: 6/8;Stress Test: 8/27;Yrly Maint: 6/18, 8/7;Ins. Approval: 12/1; Surgery Date: 03/31/2011

Posted Image

#2 HeatherNicole

HeatherNicole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationFt. Lauderdale, FL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Paul Wizman
  • Hospital:NW Medical Center
  • Start Weight:329
  • Current Weight:156
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28.5
  • Surgery Date:3/1/2012

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Speaking as someone in pharmacy school!

Tobramycin (Brand: Nebcin) is an aminoglycoside which basically means it works by binding with the proteins of the bacteria to 'disorient' them enough to stop reproducing (similar to how most other antibiotics work). Aminoglycoside's also tend to lower the blood pressure in the area where they are being administered, therefore slowing the flow of blood in the surrounding areas, leaving more room for blood to pool. Nasal mucous is very delicate, and all of the systems in the cranium (ears, nose, mouth, eyes) are connected in some way.

I'm pretty surprised your ENT has never heard of this. I would ask for a second opinion, or speak with a pharmacist.
RNY 3/1/12

Add me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/gatorgirl1214

Posted Image

#3 RanchoPenMom

RanchoPenMom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Surgeon:Pacific Bariatric
  • Hospital:Scripps Mercy
  • Start Weight:309
  • Current Weight:171
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31
  • Surgery Date:03/31/2011

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Speaking as someone in pharmacy school!

Tobramycin (Brand: Nebcin) is an aminoglycoside which basically means it works by binding with the proteins of the bacteria to 'disorient' them enough to stop reproducing (similar to how most other antibiotics work). Aminoglycoside's also tend to lower the blood pressure in the area where they are being administered, therefore slowing the flow of blood in the surrounding areas, leaving more room for blood to pool. Nasal mucous is very delicate, and all of the systems in the cranium (ears, nose, mouth, eyes) are connected in some way.

I'm pretty surprised your ENT has never heard of this. I would ask for a second opinion, or speak with a pharmacist.

Thank you soooo much. I even looked online and found that the dexamethasone in the drops can cause nasal bleeding. I did not use them today and have had no blood pouring out of my head!!
How am I going to live today in order to create the tomorrow I'm committed to? ~Anthony Robbins

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.~Confucius

First Dr. Appt: 6/3/10;Internist,Psych,Surgeon Dr. Z: 8/20/10;Nut Appt: 8/26;Orientation Mtg: Pac Bariatric 7/2
Cardiologist: 6/8;Stress Test: 8/27;Yrly Maint: 6/18, 8/7;Ins. Approval: 12/1; Surgery Date: 03/31/2011

Posted Image