ShellyeDMB117

Anyone else have delayed menstruation?

19 posts in this topic

Hello :) I know that rapid weight loss can delay menstruation, but is this common? Do any ladies here have the same problem? I'm only 4 days late right now, but I'm hoping, praying and crossing fingers it's the rapid weight loss that's doing it!

Hi! Anytime a womans body goes thru major changes--such as rapid wgt loss..our cycles can be disrupted. I have always been irregular--so im not sure how much was the wgt loss and how much was just me..but I didnt have a period for about 7 months after GB..and now im almost to the day regular..sressing out about it can also delay it..so relax and perhaps it will arrive soon :-)

I wish.....I have spotting almost all the time. I am on continuous BCP for a fibroid so I shouldn't get an actual period however if I'm even 5 minutes late taking my pill I have more than spotting for that day. It's not fun but I'm ok with it because I'm losing weight!

Stress of any kind can affect menstrual cycles - major surgery and rapid weight loss just adds to the whole thing.

Hi! Anytime a womans body goes thru major changes--such as rapid wgt loss..our cycles can be disrupted. I have always been irregular--so im not sure how much was the wgt loss and how much was just me..but I didnt have a period for about 7 months after GB..and now im almost to the day regular..sressing out about it can also delay it..so relax and perhaps it will arrive soon :-)

Did you make any changes to your diet or lifestyle around the time your menstrual cycles resumed? I'm going on nearly 11 months without a menstrual cycle (I'm 16 months postop) and struggling to find balance with my hormones. I just posted about this topic today. I'm looking for fresh ideas / suggestions or a simple whack on the head with a polite, "Be patient, Martee."

It must be the surgery. I haven't had menses since my surgery. :eek: Of course I hadn't had menses for about 5 years before my surgery either. I'm sure being 61 has nothing to do with it though. ;)

I was about 7 days late when I started mine. I have heard of some being months late. It is the trauma of the surgery and rapid weight loss, and the hormonal imbalance all of that weight loss causes.

Starryskiesglow likes this

If your body believes it's starving, you may have messed up cycles for a while. Anorexics have problems with their cycles too.

See, I'm having the complete opposite issue! I feel like I've been on my period FOREVER! I've been a week early 2 months in a row and I'm just 3 months out. My doc told me that he removed a cyst from my right ovary while he was doing the surgery (just because it was there and he could see it... and knew it shldnt be there...) and I was spotting while I was in the hospital, but I still get my full on 7 days worth every month even with the Loestrin pill and the 44lb weight loss since the procedure... Have you discussed this with your surgeon and or your OBGYN?

My doc explained to me that it could happen. In your fat cells there's a bunch of hormones and since you lose your weight super fast, it gets released accordingly in your body messing up your cycles one way or another.

I've always had terrible PMS and pains during my period but since the surgery it really takes the cake. All I can do is sleep it off, can't even stand up or I'm bent at a 90° angle.

I had a two month delay after surgery. Apparently, it is very normal :)

OMG! I thought it was just me. I got mine 2 days after surgery (still in the hospital recovering from the collapsed lung they gave me during surgery!) and then got it just after new years and now nothing since. Kind of a pain. Going on vaca soon and would like to plan. Nice to know I'm not alone though!

I am 4 days late! I had to call the nurse to find out. I kind of freaked out! She explained it all to me tho!

I started spotting a few days ago after a few years of no periods due to Hydrothermalablation. Strange.

I woke up from surgery spotting and it went full blown a day later. Two weeks out and still menstruating.

I would LOVE to have it delayed! I seem to be on the every two week plan now. UGH. A quote I like to say "It's like a crime scene in my underwear!" (ewwwww)

I started my friend about 6 days after surgery, but haven't had it since (almost 5 weeks). If you're worried, you can get a quantitative blood test done 3 days after possibly conceiving and expect it to be 99% accurate. Urine tests are accurate around 19 days after possibly conceiving. Taking tests may just ease your mind and stop your unconscious stress, which may delay you along with the surgery. Dollar Tree in the US sells reputable pregnancy tests for $1 that I've used for a couple years. They've always been right.

Mine first period after surgery was 10 days late and was heavier and lasted longer than normal. I don't know what will happen on my next one but I'm hoping its much lighter and shorter.

I broke out of a minor stall and am in a losing phase again..so my periods has gone AWOL for about 2 months now..but i cant say that i mind! LOL! Somebody mentioned the release of hormones stored in fat---this is absolutely true. the rapid release of stored hormones in fat can and most certainly will mess up your cycle.