• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
enchantedfarie

Pro bono

26 posts in this topic

Im in need of a pro bono surgeon...I dont have insurance that covers wls, and I have some serious complications due to my weight that im told will go away if I loose the weight. Ive looked into medical toursim and I still cant afford the surgery as I am not working (starving art student). Anybody have any answers?

Hi, Molly---the closest thing I've ever heard of when it comes to pro bono WLS is a contest that my surgeon's office held this year. To the contest winner: free lapband surgery and a blog about his journey. They're located here in Reno, but maybe individual surgeons in your area have something similar? (the contest winner was announced on www.westernbariatricinstitute.com)

There's something ironic about a starving art student wanting WLS!

Seriously though, if you want it bad enough you find a way. Get a job with benefits, look for payment plans at local centers/hospitals, etc.

If you're a full time student and under 25 you may still be able to get on your parents insurance policy as well if it happens to cover the surgery.

I hope you can find something asap! Good luck hon!!

Have you tried medical schools where surgeons need practice. I heard of people going to dentistry school for dental work and most times it's free. Good luck on your weight loss journey

Working in a med school, I know our affilitate hospitals do not offer "practice" surgeries for free. Have you looked into clinical trials?

At 24 you should be able to fall under your parents insurance. I have a 24 year old son who is fully covered under my BC/BS. I believe you would be covered under your parents plan until you reach 26 years of age.

PS...a lot of universities offer health insurance. You may want to check that out, including what WLS benefits that the plan has. Good luck.

There's something ironic about a starving art student wanting WLS!

Seriously though, if you want it bad enough you find a way. Get a job with benefits, look for payment plans at local centers/hospitals, etc.

If you're a full time student and under 25 you may still be able to get on your parents insurance policy as well if it happens to cover the surgery.

Unfortunately I cant go on my parents insurance, my mom is on medicare...and unfortuantely Im way too young to go on that :/

Humm that is an option, maybe next semester when things arent so crazy I can try and find a job with benifits.

Have you tried to see if you would qualify for Medicare due to any health problems or CA rehabilitation commission? They can help people with health problems and that could include your issues.

would you qualify for medicaid? Depending on the state, sometimes medicaid will pay for GBS or LB.

would you qualify for medicaid? Depending on the state, sometimes medicaid will pay for GBS or LB.

Unfortunately I dont, I have fought it multiple times and keep getting denied :(

Have you tried to see if you would qualify for Medicare due to any health problems or CA rehabilitation commission? They can help people with health problems and that could include your issues.

Ive never heard of CA rehabilitation commission!! Ill look into that thanks :)

Im searching their website now, what exactly do I look for?

I would just give them a call and see if you can go in and make an appt. I don't live in CA so I am not familiar with your state but I know our state paid for the surgery at one time. They considered obesity as a health issue that could be benefited from some sort of rehabiliation and they considered surgery as a route to help make someone independent, healthy and able to work, etc.

Keep trying for Medicaid. When they deny you, find out exactly why you were denied and try to fix it. Sometimes they deny people because they think you have existing medical insurance even if you don't. I have had that happen myself, and once I checked into it, it was resolved. I am having gastric bypass on 4/3 that is 100% paid for by FL Medicaid. I don't even have a copay.

As others have mentioned, you can sometimes get Vocational Rehabilitation services in your state to pay for surgery. They were going to pay for mine if Medicaid didn't.

Keep trying for Medicaid. When they deny you, find out exactly why you were denied and try to fix it. Sometimes they deny people because they think you have existing medical insurance even if you don't. I have had that happen myself, and once I checked into it, it was resolved. I am having gastric bypass on 4/3 that is 100% paid for by FL Medicaid. I don't even have a copay.

As others have mentioned, you can sometimes get Vocational Rehabilitation services in your state to pay for surgery. They were going to pay for mine if Medicaid didn't.

Awesome :) Well I dunno...I was denied for med i cal (California's medicaid) because of 3 reasons 1) Im disabled, but not on SSI 2) Im not pregnat and 3) Im over 21 with no children under 21. I qualified for LIHP which is a program for those who get denied for med i cal, but it dosent cover WLS :(

Ill totally check out the department of rehab though!

Im disabled, but not on SSI

Have you applied for SSI? If so, keep appealing and never give up. If you lose your last appeal, start the process over again. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Have you applied for SSI? If so, keep appealing and never give up. If you lose your last appeal, start the process over again. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Yep, Ive been denied 10 times! I even had a hearing and was still denied :/ Legal Aid cant represent me anymore, and my case worker has kind of discouraged me from applying again.

When I was looking around I went to clinical trials. If you have diabetes, high blood pressure or a high bmi they sometimes have a trial that would include WLS. Good Luck.

http://wlsfa.org/ This is the Weight Loss Surgery Foundation of America. I don't know all of the stipulations of the grants they offer, but their website is pretty interesting!!! If anyone is interested in WLSFA, not only for the grants they offer, but to make a donation to others in need of this procedure- it is a great foundation. I dontated what I could to them.

Poppy

I feel you! I went so far as to write Oprah a letter lol!! And that was 6 years ago! Since then I have had 3 different jobs, all with insurance, and all which would not cover the surgery. I guess the time was right, I met my fiance, and he agreed to pay for all the tests needed prior to the surgery (I currently have no insurance) That has so far totaled 5,000. Then my mother actually took out a loan on her car, and the rest on credit cards to cover the surgery (26,000). So it has been a journey and paying it back will be another journey. But it seems like everything came together the way it should. I truly hope something works out for you!!!

http://wlsfa.org/ This is the Weight Loss Surgery Foundation of America. I don't know all of the stipulations of the grants they offer, but their website is pretty interesting!!! If anyone is interested in WLSFA, not only for the grants they offer, but to make a donation to others in need of this procedure- it is a great foundation. I dontated what I could to them.

Poppy

Awesome!!! In june I will totally apply for a grant:)

I feel you! I went so far as to write Oprah a letter lol!! And that was 6 years ago! Since then I have had 3 different jobs, all with insurance, and all which would not cover the surgery. I guess the time was right, I met my fiance, and he agreed to pay for all the tests needed prior to the surgery (I currently have no insurance) That has so far totaled 5,000. Then my mother actually took out a loan on her car, and the rest on credit cards to cover the surgery (26,000). So it has been a journey and paying it back will be another journey. But it seems like everything came together the way it should. I truly hope something works out for you!!!

Im very happy for you :) Your really lucky to be able to have your fiancee and mom. My mom dosent really support me getting the surgery so Im on my own in that department:/ I think my insurance will cover the pre-op tests. But as you said It will all come together.

It will! And yes I am lucky. My father however is not on board and it has caused problems within my family :( I feel very guilty for that. He feels wls is a cop-out for losing weight. This while he complains about the 5 pounds he can't seem to lose. smh :wacko: I will keep you in my prayers and really hope things work out soon!!