Photo
- - - - -

How much liquid will my new stomach hold?

liquid coffee water

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Becky1567

Becky1567

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Surgeon:Jake Abbott
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:328
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

I am considering having weight loss surgery and I wonder about liquids. If my new stomach is roughly the size of an egg and I am only able to eat a couple of handfulls of food a day (that's the words my doctor used) will I be able to drink a big cup of coffee? Or in the summer time when I'm outside and it's hot will I be able to chug a bottle of cold water or some lemonade? Will my stomach only hold 6 to 8 ounces of liquid? One of the things I read said that after the surgery I can't drink liquids with my food. I like to have a sip every couple of bites. Can someone let me know if you've had any issues with this?

#2 BugdocMom

BugdocMom

TT Master

• Community Mentor
  • 6,323 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Coon
  • Hospital:Parkview, Riverside, CA
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:238
  • Current Weight:123
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.1
  • Surgery Date:5/31/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

I am going to answer based on the gastric bypass procedure since that is what you've described here and what it says your surgery type is...

The new stomach is like a funnel so liquid goes in and then out at a little slower pace. That's a bit different from foods because they are slowed MUCH more as they exit. In the first couple of months after surgery, when my stomach was still swollen and healing, I could not drink large amounts and I certainly couldn't chug a bottle of water no matter how hot I got. It was actually tough because I referee kids soccer and got really thirsty sometimes but just couldn't keep up with my water needs. I also wouldn't drink a mug of coffee at that time, even decaffeinated, because it is pretty hard on the new pouch. But now that I am further out, healed up, and my body has recovered and is healthy, I can easily drink a 16 oz bottle of water in 15 or so minutes and I down a couple (or more) cups of coffee daily with no trouble. HOWEVER, you will NOT be able to drink with your meals and be successful with gastric bypass (I believe that's different with sleeve if someone wants to chime in on that). The reason food travels slowly through the new pouch is because it is thick and doesn't pass easily through the funnel end. When you mix it with liquids, it goes through much faster, allowing you to eat more and get hungry quicker. In extreme cases, it can also force food through the opening and cause the opening to stretch, also compromising your surgery. So, while you could have a TINY sip on occasion if you get some caught in your throat or eat something too spicy, you will have to break the habit of drinking with meals. That said, it hasn't been hard for me to do. I no longer take large bites that need to be washed down, nor do I eat so much in a sitting that I get thirsty, and I make sure my food is moist anyway. I also drink so much during the day that I'm not parched just because I am not drinking with a meal (I actually wait an hour after a meal to drink, others wait 1/2 hour).

#3 Becky1567

Becky1567

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Surgeon:Jake Abbott
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:328
  • Goal Weight:165

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thank you BugdocMom for your answer. I really appreciate someone helping me out here. I'm new to forums and I'm not very good at figuring out all the little things i need to do, (I get help from my kids... lol ) anyway, I goofed and it had said gastric bypass, but I have changed it to the correct one, the sleeve. So if you wonderful people on here can help me out I'd like to learn all I can from people who have been through it, not just from the doctor who wants my insurance money. I just feel like this whole thing is unnatural and unsafe and I don't want to do it at all, but I can't seem to lose weight and it's taking a toll on my health.
I'm very confused and feel like I will hate whatever decision I make.

Edited by Becky1567, 18 February 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#4 addict

addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Surgeon:Peeter Soosaar
  • Hospital:Mission
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:385
  • Current Weight:176
  • Goal Weight:200
  • Surgery Date:09/12/11

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

You can run a search for specific topics in the upper right of the page or just go to the different sleeve forums and read page by page the posts and threads there. There's lots of info in them. You will need to learn more and become comfortable with your decision in order to have the knowledge and positive outlook you will need to be successful and avoid potential problems.
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#5 Blueline

Blueline

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Surgeon:Dr. McMahon
  • Hospital:Swedish-Seattle
  • Height (ft-in):6-01
  • Start Weight:255
  • Current Weight:240
  • Goal Weight:185
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):35
  • Surgery Date:03/06/12

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

I got my sleeve on the 6th along with hiatal hernia surgery. It's now been two weeks and even though I am still on a liquid diet I feel better today than I did before surgery. Although tough at times during those two weeks it got better everyday. I went back to work today and did fine. I can almost gulp water. I am so grateful I did this. That's why I am on the forum tonight to pay back some of the encouragement I got. Keep it on the positive. You can believe what the Doctor and staff say as well as most everything you read here. Good Luck!

#6 CJinMichigan

CJinMichigan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorthern Lower Michigan
  • Surgeon:Dr. Randal Baker
  • Hospital:Northern Michigan Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:370
  • Current Weight:246
  • Goal Weight:229
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):37
  • Surgery Date:10/31/2011

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:55 AM

I had the sleeve and am 4 months post-op. At first I could only handle one tiny sip at a time. Now I can take about 4 normal swallows of a liquid at once and then have to wait about a few minutes before taking more or my stomach will feel uncomfortable. It's no big deal; I just keep my water or whatever I'm drinking nearby and take drinks on and off all day long. As far as drinking while eating, that is a habit that has taken me a while to get used to. I always used to drink while eating and did so after my surgery but found I was hungry all the time. The liquid moves the food out of the stomach faster. I try to eat without drinking anything to stay fuller longer. I saw a great illustration of this on you-tube. You can also find actual bariatric surgery on you-tube too if your curious. Good luck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: liquid, coffee, water