• Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:289
  • Current Weight:164
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25.7
  • Surgery Date:10/07/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

I had lap band surgery on October 7 2010 and have lost a total of 125 pounds and keeping it off. my current weight is 164 and I am 5'7" so I am a proper weight. Recently I have been having some symptoms that concern me. I wake up every night vomiting in my sleep. It is not regular vomit but rather a brown liquid. Sometimes out of my mouth and sometime pouring out of my nose which really burns. I also have been burping really bad tasting burps lately that taste like rotten eggs. Yuck! I was originally thinking gall baldder but I do not really have pain on my right side I have a high pain tollerance though I had a hiatal hernia prior to surgey and never knwe it was there. the surgeon said it was sever and could not believe I was not in pain. Any suggestions?

#2 Dr. Callery

Dr. Callery

Bariatric Surgeon

• Administrators
  • 631 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

I had lap band surgery on October 7 2010 and have lost a total of 125 pounds and keeping it off. my current weight is 164 and I am 5'7" so I am a proper weight. Recently I have been having some symptoms that concern me. I wake up every night vomiting in my sleep. It is not regular vomit but rather a brown liquid. Sometimes out of my mouth and sometime pouring out of my nose which really burns. I also have been burping really bad tasting burps lately that taste like rotten eggs. Yuck! I was originally thinking gall baldder but I do not really have pain on my right side I have a high pain tollerance though I had a hiatal hernia prior to surgey and never knwe it was there. the surgeon said it was sever and could not believe I was not in pain. Any suggestions?

Dear Debblelynn,

I'd get in touch with your surgeon right away. Your symptoms sound like reflux of fluid from your esophagus or from stomach that has slipped up through your band. When a slip occurs, there is extra stomach above the band. Food and stomach juice can sit there and not completely go through the band. Then when you lie down at night, the fluid and sometimes food can reflux up and cause the symptoms you describe. An upper GI series will make the diagnosis. The band can then be deflated. If there is a slip and it does not resolve with deflation, the band will need to be surgically unbuckled or removed.

This problem is serious. You could inhale the fluid and get pneumonia. Or the stomach and the esophagus can be permanently damaged. So please see your surgeon ASAP.

Dr. Callery
Join our Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/thinnertimes
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/drcallery
Subscribe to our newsletter: http://eepurl.com/vBLUX

This advice is not a substitute for a consultation with your doctor, nutritionist, or other healthcare professional.
As always, if you have a problem or health-related complication (or emergency), please contact the proper authorities immediately.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: complication, lap band, reflux, slippage