• LocationNorthern Ca
  • Surgeon:Dr. Mary Estakhri
  • Hospital:Valley Care Medical Center
  • Start Weight:271
  • Current Weight:173
  • Surgery Date:06/24/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

I am so excited I am a little over a year and half post op and have been approved for a panniculectomy. I am going to upgrade the service and have a lower body lift and breast lift/implants. I am horrified of the process involved. Has anyone done this? What is/was the recovery like?

Thanks,

Natalia

Natalia

Start/DOS/Current/Goal

271 259 173 125

#2 Lindsay

Lindsay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Surgeon:Dr. Hess
  • Hospital:Boston Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:323
  • Current Weight:185
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Surgery Date:11/29/11

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Congratulations!!! :) I'm not even 3 mos out yet but I am DREAMING of the day I can get rid of this stupid hanging stomach!

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
- George Eliot

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

My blog about eating disorders after WLS: Bypassing Bulimia

#3 nancyb284

nancyb284

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Joseph Moran
  • Hospital:Rex Hospital, Raleigh, NC
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:148
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:08/25/2010

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

I'm also hoping for a total abdominoplasty vs. just a panni and a breast lift (still ? on implants) this fall......keep us posted!

Good luck and here's hoping for a speedy recovery and no complications!

Nancy

#4 RonnieT

RonnieT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Simon
  • Hospital:JFK - Atlantis FL
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:291
  • Current Weight:166
  • Surgery Date:12/13/2010

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

How did you get it approved? My doc already told me it would be self pay, that the insurances really watch for this and basically it's almost impossible to get them to pay.

Good luck. I was hoping for some work, but I need so much, I don't know what I'd do first - LOL

SCALE STOMPER #45

#5 NatBello

NatBello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ca

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

I have lost over 130 lbs. I have a stretched tummy. The panni is all that has been approved nothing else. I will have to pay for the breasts and the lower body lift.

Natalia

Start/DOS/Current/Goal

271 259 173 125

#6 Hopeful2011

Hopeful2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Surgery Date:03/17/2003

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Congratulations!!!! That is super exciting and I think you will be so happy you did it.

I will share my short story to give some advice, encouragement and support. I have lost 227 (last time I weighed but have lost more but waiting to weigh) and started my reconstruction 12-10. I did a full TT (lower and upper including panni), lipo on thighs because they have always been heavy so we were deflating them as I went along the journey, major hernia repair (from RNY), arm lift, thigh lift, breast lift and just did a buttock lift last week! All of those were in a total of 4 procedures over 14-15 months. Honestly, the hardest was the first. The pain with the hernia repair, full lipo and full TT was the greatest. It was totally worth it though! I had no complications along the way and am incredibly grateful for that. I am finished with all major surgery at this point. There could be some minor tweaking (office visit) but outside of that nothing major left to do. It took me forever to get to the weight I am (for many reasons) and honestly getting to do the plastic surgery has been one of the sweetest and more rewarding aspects of the journey. It was the icing on the cake for sure. Hard work? Yes! But I didn't feel complete in the process without it. Insurance paid for panni and that helped on my first surgery. I had saved for the rest and paid cash for it all. This last surgery was a sweet blessing from someone so that was a blessing. I have 3 children (19, 14 and 3) so my life is full and I am ready to move on. I am thrilled with my results. Now I plan to continue a healthy lifestyle and hit the gym to see what I can accomplish there. That won't be for a couple of months but I am looking forward to it. Now that the extra flesh and hanging is gone that will be so much easier. My biggest advice is to find a certified plastic surgeon that is VERY experienced with WLS patients. A great certified plastic surgeon who does mommy make overs and things like that doesn't have the experience that you will need and want. My surgeon is in Dallas and does amazing work. Going the extra mile to work with an surgeon with this experience will pay off. I know someone that went to a surgeon earlier this year and her results were so disappointing to her. It is sad to see that she paid the same amount but didn't get the results she could have had. She has now switched surgeons and is hopeful to have it done again in the future.

Ronni-Having the panni covered isn't that hard. There are policies that don't cover it but if your Dr. isn't experienced in working with insurance you might look elsewhere. Mine was approved within 2 weeks and honestly I didn't have major skin issues and only had 1 Dr. appt documenting that at all.

#7 RonnieT

RonnieT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Simon
  • Hospital:JFK - Atlantis FL
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:291
  • Current Weight:166
  • Surgery Date:12/13/2010

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:44 AM

Thanks Hopeful, I will look into the insurance thing. I'm sure if the insurance is paying for the panni and you "add on" like Natalia is doing, it will be less out of pocket, at least that time.

I agree with you about getting someone experienced in WLS. I've heard that same thing from other WLS patients that have had plastic surgery.

At this point I am 120+ pounds off, and hopefully will have surgery someday.

Have a great day!

SCALE STOMPER #45

#8 Hopeful2011

Hopeful2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Surgery Date:03/17/2003

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thanks Hopeful, I will look into the insurance thing. I'm sure if the insurance is paying for the panni and you "add on" like Natalia is doing, it will be less out of pocket, at least that time.

I agree with you about getting someone experienced in WLS. I've heard that same thing from other WLS patients that have had plastic surgery.

At this point I am 120+ pounds off, and hopefully will have surgery someday.

Have a great day!

Ronnie-So true! The great thing about when they pay for the panni it cut the cost across the board. Maybe a surgeon charges $3000 for a panni (that is just throwing a number out I can't remember what mine charged) but if it is covered by insurance than they are also paying for the hospital and anesthesia. So they might cover 75% of the anesthesia but that hugely helps out. So then you just end up paying a small amount for the anesthesia and the surgeon cost of the upper tummy and whatever else you are doing. Best wishes!!!!

#9 melyssa

melyssa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Robert Woodruff
  • Hospital:HMHP Ohio
  • Start Weight:320
  • Current Weight:162
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Surgery Date:8/3/2004

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

had my paniculectomy on 2/13/12. I am today 6 days post op and I feel great! up to friday I questioned my decision to have it done but now I want my boobs done. I had a very large ventral hernia (mesh is 13 inches in diameter basically from my sternum to my pubic bone) so it was very painful! today the only reason I know I had surgery are these obnoxious drains and the fact that I sleep for only about 3 hours at a time and I can't sit up by myself! love it! would do it again tomorrow, and I am not joking, I am going to ask when I see my plastic surgeon on Tuesday if I can have my boobs lifted and plumped in a couple weeks!

#10 racheyrach

racheyrach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Raftopolous
  • Start Weight:235
  • Current Weight:118
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Surgery Date:11/09/2010

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

this is exactly what I want. With insurance covering the panni how much are you paying. Although you live on the other side of the country it wont be the same here but a rough idea would be nice.

Posted Image

211- only obese - passed
158- only overweight-passed
132- normal- passed
115-129- goal- made an still losing!! so happy i made this decisions i feel sooo healthy

#11 melyssa

melyssa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Robert Woodruff
  • Hospital:HMHP Ohio
  • Start Weight:320
  • Current Weight:162
  • Surgery Date:8/3/2004

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

my panni was completely paid for! no out of pocket... He said I have to heal completely and then we can discuss my next surgery! I am not sure that insurance will cover anything with my boobs but it is going to be worth a try!

#12 quilterpam

quilterpam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationDIberville, MS 39540
  • Surgeon:Dr. Hannan
  • Hospital:height 4'11.5"
  • Start Weight:219
  • Current Weight:143
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:09/28/2009

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

I have medicare so nothing will be covered. I'm saving my pennies.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly....
on a broomstick....
We're flexible that way!

#13 *Kim

*Kim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Al
  • Surgeon:Dr Pennington
  • Hospital:Trinity Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:265
  • Current Weight:175
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28.2
  • Surgery Date:07/18/2011

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

quilterpam- Medicare does cover the panni. You have to get your doctor to document any rashes that you have from it. They won't however cover it along with any other plastic surgery so you can't do your thighs, arms or anything else at the same time.
Posted Image

#14 NatBello

NatBello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ca

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

I am paying 22k out of pocket after the Panni being covered by my insurance. Total sticker shock but I am sure it will be worth it. Best of luck to all of you.

Natalia

Start/DOS/Current/Goal

271 259 173 125