Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kelmelmom2four

Da Vinci Robotic Gastric Bypass!

11 posts in this topic

My Dr. Approached me yesterday about using the Da Vinci robotics during my surgery. He has a few patients he has been doing this on and wanted to do this type on me. I have read some things about it-all positive- Just wanted to see if anyone else had thiers done like this! Thanks

Kel

I was just talking about this in my information systems class...if this machine is perfected the I would do it...

My surgery is 2/13/12 so I hope it is perfected by then!!!!!!

No, although I signed a paper saying my surgeon could use robotics. It took an extra hour to set it all up. He told me it was so much safer not having hands inside! I recall he mentioned easier healing too.

His eyes lit up like a little boy talking about doing it by robotics, He said he had done it many times and sounded confident.

I had so much scar tissue to tease through from another surgery 20 years earlier and a hernia, it was getting very late so he didn't get to it. I got out of the 7 1/2 hr. operation about 11 pm.

It would have been a cool story to tell and maybe even a video to watch!

My surgery was done with the DaVinci...my scars are itty-bitty and I think I healed rather quickly. I'm almost 4 months post op and haven't had any complications.

I'd say go for it...

:D

Thank you for your input-My Dr seems confident so I will go for it! Thanks

Kel

I also had my surgery done with the robot I haven't been in a lot of pain just really sore especially if I try and so too much and I am 1 week post op today

I had mine done this way on 3/6 -- small incisions and no problems (and yes, mine got all boylike and excited talking about it). I did notice a lot of bruising below my incision line -- it's been two weeks and it's still there but it's not sore.

I have read some things about it-all positive- Just wanted to see if anyone else had thiers done like this! Thanksavatar4.jpg

Edited by Eveline52

I had robotic surgery on 3/9. Here's the honest scoop on me:

1. Minimal pain - drainage tube out in 1 week.

2. Scars healing nicely

3. Shoulder pain - be prepared for this. It lasted a week and I was told by the nurses that the gas from robotics is different than other surgeries and it is more painful. I used heat a lot but after 1 week it went away

4. Pain meds - didn't need them when I went home. I was just tired

5. If I ever need surgery again for any reason (this was my first) I would be first in line for the robot.

Good luck!!

My Dr specialized in robotic surgery. His internship was spent in TX with a world renowned robotic surgeon. My surgery went without a hitch. The Da Vinci system it truly amazing. The only pain I experienced was directly near the center of my stomach. He stated that that is from the torque of the machine. I have no pain now and you can barely see my scars.