Chelsealynn

Constipation!

If you can't tell, yes, constipation is what I am going through right now! Yesterday I was walking around hunched over because I was in so much pain from it! HELP!!!

I am on a liquid diet of 3 boosts a day and water. I am not even hungry anymore or better, I am not even craving food all that much anymore for this is my 11th day on the diet...but I just want to eat fiber or really ANYTHING that will help things move around. Sorry if this is gross to you, but I need to talk about it!! Can I take lax's and how many is too many? Maybe I should ask my doc but I figured someone on here might know!?!?

Is there anything I can do or try to help relieve some of this pain or pretty much, relieve SOMETHIN??? ;)

62 views and no one wants to share anything? Tough subject huh? (Pun intended)

[quote name=Jesus's Princess :)' timestamp='1328212024' post='811197]

If you can't tell, yes, constipation is what I am going through right now! Yesterday I was walking around hunched over because I was in so much pain from it! HELP!!!

I am on a liquid diet of 3 boosts a day and water. I am not even hungry anymore or better, I am not even craving food all that much anymore for this is my 11th day on the diet...but I just want to eat fiber or really ANYTHING that will help things move around. Sorry if this is gross to you, but I need to talk about it!! Can I take lax's and how many is too many? Maybe I should ask my doc but I figured someone on here might know!?!?

Is there anything I can do or try to help relieve some of this pain or pretty much, relieve SOMETHIN??? ;)

When I have been in real need, I have used milk of magnesia. It can work in 1/2 hour. Drink plenty of water to chase it down. Generally to save $ I purchase the walgreens equivalent in cherry flavor.

Then many find Miralax or benifiber a good products to use regularly, when water and diet aren't quite enough. When you get further out and add more fruits and veggies hopefully this situation will ease up:) Around Thanksgiving I learned how wonderful sweet potatoes worked for me. I had a little bit of left over sweet potato casserole everyday and low and behold!!!!

Perhaps some Simethicone, such as Gas-x or Maalox would ease the sharp pains?

I use clearlax the generic for Miralax. It works real well. I have had this problem my whole life so it is nothing new. I had such a problem a few weeks ago that I strained so hard that I felt something in the area where I had my hernia repaired pop. I was sore there for a week. I am sure I caused it to come back out or re injured it. I my so careful now to not forget my dosage each day it is just something I am going to have to live with.

I can't handle liquid or powder, so I use Senokot.

Miralax (cheaper generic) has been my go-to. It causes the least abdominal discomfort for me and it's used in hospitals.

I would never recommend Benefiber or Citrucel unless you're able to get in the recommended 64oz and more of water. Bulking agents like that are great but without adequate liquids, they can form a hard plug which makes things worse.

Constipation is a real problem after WLS, especially early out. You can read about my bathroom horror story. I'll caution you I spared no detail and it's quite graphic.

The upside is that once I got some Miralax and started taking it nightly, things have been moving as they should. Thank goodness for this forum! The only other advice I can offer is to drink plenty of water, try walking daily, and include vegetables in your diet. Protein is what we all focus on, but vegetables help the system move. You might try adding a daily serving of oatmeal to your diet as well, since the soluble fiber can be helpful.

Uuummm....that milk of magnesia has worked AMAZINGLY for me!!! Thanks for all the input everyone!!! :)

I put this in my coffee every day. 1 scoop and it works like a charm!

http://www.samsclub....rod1181009#spec

Here is the Sam's Club Brand and is $11.01

http://www.samsclub....roductId=174874

MiraLax $27.95

THANK YOU biggrin.gif

Jan

Edited by Mommy Dearest

Milk of magnesia is the BEST. Miralax will keep things soft, but I keep meaning to pick up some Benefiber and keep forgetting. They have little drink packets now and I've heard they're not bad, haven't tried them yet.

I have some Benefiber crackers but you have to be careful eating them cause they will gum up into a ball when you chew it up. I have also used colace as well.

[quote name=Jesus's Princess :)' timestamp='1328294889' post='811466]

62 views and no one wants to share anything? Tough subject huh? (Pun intended)

Miralax daily has saved me............ its gentle and you get very regular...no surprises, no running to the bathroom....nice a gentle... Miralax for life! I put 2-3 tsp daily in my coffee....would never know its there....... its a real miracle worker thats for sure... LUVE LUVE LUVE it.......

I am three weeks out and with all the protein, calcium and no fiber I am stuffed up. I kep taking stool softners, but nothing is happening. Milk of Magnesia works, but it is sooo nasty. I guess after four days without any movement I better go ahead and take some.

Find what works for you. My dr says Miralax. I've also found that ground flax seed in my Greek yogurt is great. And I like that it is a wholefood. I do use Miralx when I need it. Most important.. Don't wait too long to use something.

thanks for this posts because im having the same ugly problems with constipation, its been 4 days and i cant get things out hopefully the mom will work if not i will try Glycerin Suppositories and after that i will use miralax thanks for this tip.

I dont know why my doctor didn't mention that i needed to use miralax or benefiber before this could happened so why i have to go thru this if they could prevent it :( , now thanks to this forum i know that my pain medicine (codeine) and iron was causing the constipation.

Has anyone tried this www.squattypotty.com ? I know someone non wls related who thought this really helped. May be tough to position for those of us still big. May be worth a look for others.

Smooth move tea - eliminates colon boulders!!!

Swear by it and I put chia seeds in my shake every morning.

You don't have to suffer - just realize you have some preventative maintenance responsibilities now with your bowels darlin!

This is all very useful information!! I am battling the curse of constipation. I need to get me MOM!!

Okay y'all haven't posted on here I  years so idk if me saying anything will help me.  I'm 3yrs out and I've never been so constipated in my life I'm about ready to go to a hospital   I'm so bad I.  Using the suppository  and generic Miramax   I need advice  I'm in so. Ugh painhelp

Milk of magnesium is the best solution. Go to hospital if in pain. 

Check out your pharmacy, Walmart, Walgreens etc. for Magnesium Citrate.  It generally comes in 10 oz bottles - lemon or grape etc. flavour.

I've used it for colonoscopies and severe constipation - it works a charm.  Start with one bottle and see what happens but make sure you've planned a day at home.

Be sure to drink plenty of fluids too.