• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
Emster2006

Gas After Gastric Bypass

7 posts in this topic

I have heard that gas after surgery can be horrendous. I heard that it can be esp. bad if you eat something containing fat.

Has anyone had this happen? What have you done aboout it? Does anything help?

Thanks!!!

:unsure:

Some people have gas very very badly... but right now I am sitting here 1 day post op and I hav e not had ANY gas. I mean.. I burped a little when I first drank a bit of water.. but ..nope..no gas. THAT being said. I WAS RIGHT out of the bed the moment they wheeled me in my room after recovery. I have been doing 10 laps around the wing each time i go out. Was out 5 times today. and NOPE no gas :D

I do need the morphine though. Mayb e its the morphine hiding the pain of gas?? I dont know.. NO farting or anything htough LOL

The day before surgery i had eggpant rollatini (stuffed with ricotta and covered in a lite tomato sauce). a SMALL serving at about 3 pm the day before surgery. Other than than, i have been low low carb no white things and low carb veggies and of course low fat meat too,.

I have heard that gas after surgery can be horrendous. I heard that it can be esp. bad if you eat something containing fat.

Has anyone had this happen? What have you done aboout it? Does anything help?

Thanks!!!

:unsure:

Most of us have issues with gas in the immediate period after surgery because if you've had laparoscopic surgery, the doc blows your tummy up like a helium balloon so that s/he can see what they're doing. Lots of walking can help with that but it did a real number on my back until I could get rid of it (hot tea - especially peppermint helped).

I was a little burpy for a while afterwards too but a lot of that was because of the continual sip-sip-sip thing. Every time you take a sip, you instinctively take in air beforehand. But I can't say I was any more burpy with foods like cheese but I stuck within my guidelines on fat and sugars.

Are you talking about gas immediately after surgery or attacks of the flatulence monster?

I get gassy every once in a while and there's actually a very funny thread about it here...

Mine has lessened the further out I've become, but last night was a doozy when I didn't eat on time and ended up basically scarfing a protein bar at about 7:30pm...

It's true, there are two separate issues with gas after surgery. I was blessed not to deal too much with gas pain as a direct result of surgery. But I have included this link to one of my most "exciting" gas experiences post surgery. As also experienced by a previous poster, my gas issues have decreased as I get further out from surgery. I feel pretty normal now.

Are you talking about gas immediately after surgery or attacks of the flatulence monster?

I get gassy every once in a while and there's actually a very funny thread about it here...

Mine has lessened the further out I've become, but last night was a doozy when I didn't eat on time and ended up basically scarfing a protein bar at about 7:30pm...

Yes, I was talking long-term. That link was great thanks!!!