Photo
- - - - -

Exactly Why Cant We Have Carbonated Drinks?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron

Cameron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Carolina
  • Surgeon:Dr. Givens
  • Hospital:Lexington Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:257
  • Current Weight:187
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):35.5
  • Surgery Date:05/09/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

I was wondering exactly why cant we have carbonated drinks?! I am almost 8months out and have been craving diet coke soo bad. I am sick of flavored water and diet powerade to the point im begining to hate it. I know diet drinks are bad for you etc but i just want to know why it
specifically bad for RNY patients!

#2 jessikagurl101

jessikagurl101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • Hospital:Hospital of Central Connecticut
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:398
  • Current Weight:199
  • Goal Weight:?
  • Surgery Date:01/31/2011

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

I think it's because it might stretch your pouch or something. And prolly cause alot of carbonated stuff like soda has alot of sugar and caffiene in it. Although, I had a beer on New year's eve without any problems. You'd prolly have to ask your doctor to know for sure.
"I’m deeply comforted to know that no amount of absentminded woolgathering can reconstruct “the plan” into something that I must practice or rehearse for, even if I wanted to.

It will be unplanned, unpremeditated, extempore, unconstrained, unforced, and the thought becomes more beautiful the more I think about it - or perhaps the more I try not to."

- Owl City

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#3 auntcheese

auntcheese

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Michael Kia
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:390
  • Current Weight:175
  • Goal Weight:190
  • Surgery Date:01/03/2011

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Somebody on here once said that their doctor said, not all his patients who gained weight back after surgery went back to drinking pop or diet pop, but all his patients who went back to drinking pop or even diet pop gained back weight. To me it is not worth the risk.

Posted Image

#4 Healthy Shanda

Healthy Shanda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Rumsey
  • Hospital:Scripps Mercy
  • Height (ft-in):6-01
  • Start Weight:579
  • Current Weight:294
  • Goal Weight:200
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):38.8
  • Surgery Date:06/14/2011

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

The carbonation can stretch your pouch...definitely not worth it!
Starting BMI: 76.4
Pre-op: 78 pounds gone
Post-op: 207 pounds gone (surgery 6/14/11)

Total: 285 pounds gone forever!
11/17/11 - OMG! I am in the 300's from the 500's
10/2/12 - I can't believe I've finally reached the 200's. I am soooooooo happy!
Follow me:
Twitter @healthyshanda
Blog: http://healthy-shanda.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook...shanda.macomber

#5 JenE6247

JenE6247

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC
  • Surgeon:Dr. John Scott
  • Hospital:Greenville Memorial Hospital
  • Start Weight:284
  • Current Weight:149
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.8
  • Surgery Date:12/30/2011

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

My NUT and doc said that carbonation stretched the pouch and puts pressure on the staple line. You've gone this long without it, you can do it!

Posted Image

#6 kerbear

kerbear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Surgeon:Dr. Wiedower
  • Hospital:Winchester Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:240
  • Current Weight:177
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32.4
  • Surgery Date:07/25/2011

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

I'm just not even gonna go there. The surgery is something I wanted and knew that soda was something i would have to give up. I didn't drink much soda to begin with, but every now and then I still have a temptation for an orange crush. Not worth it. SO not worth it. I NEVER want to go back to being as big as I was again. I was miserable, and it's just not worth it for a soda.
KerBear :)

Posted Image

Highest/DOS/Current/Goal
240/228/177/125

#7 KimmyToo

KimmyToo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Boyce
  • Hospital:Parkwest
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:272
  • Current Weight:144
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.3
  • Surgery Date:05/17/2010

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

I was in a situation once where the only drink option was soda. I decided to take a diet soda to "fit in." I took a drink and it hurt. I mean hurt a llllll the way down. One of my mom's friends had RNY many years ago, and she drinks them regularly...and takes Flintstone vitamins...and eats Snicker bars....and does not exercise. I can see how one thing could lead to another.

Edited by KimmyToo, 03 January 2012 - 05:23 AM.

11/23/2010: No longer morbidly obese!!!:D

Posted Image

#8 kevinsgirl

kevinsgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Gregory Adams
  • Start Weight:240
  • Current Weight:141
  • Goal Weight:143
  • Surgery Date:11/11/2009

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

If your doctor has told you not to drink them then don't do it. I haven't had a soda in over 2 years....Do I crave it, yes but do I give in...Uh, heck no because I don't ever want to be 240 pounds again.

#9 HopeinDC

HopeinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Hospital:Sibley
  • Start Weight:294
  • Current Weight:190
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:9/6/2011

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:52 AM

Somebody on here once said that their doctor said, not all his patients who gained weight back after surgery went back to drinking pop or diet pop, but all his patients who went back to drinking pop or even diet pop gained back weight. To me it is not worth the risk.

That's exactly what my doctor said to me. Although my doctor said I could have anything I wanted in moderation, including carbonated drinks, but he strongly suggested they be along the lines of selzter

#10 flamenca_star

flamenca_star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Surgeon:mr bonanomi
  • Hospital:Chelsea Westminster Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:264
  • Current Weight:209
  • Goal Weight:154
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):39
  • Surgery Date:10/06/2011

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

ive never been a soda person. but at new years i was loving the champagne...and didnt have any issue other than gas going one way or the other.....certainly not something i would do regularly but not harmful

Posted Image

#11 Aartemys

Aartemys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationConcord, NH
  • Surgeon:Connie Campbell
  • Hospital:Catholic Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:278
  • Current Weight:152
  • Goal Weight:141
  • Surgery Date:10/25/2011

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

I was in a situation once where the only drink option was soda. I decided to take a diet soda to "fit in." I took a drink and it hurt. I mean hurt a llllll the way down. One of my mom's friends had RNY many years ago, and she drinks them regularly...and takes Flintstone vitamins...and eats Snicker bars....and does not exercise. I can see how one thing could lead to another.

Yes and yes!

In all the post-op paperwork that I have been given, nowhere does it say "DO NOT"; it says avoid. I've avoided carbonated beverages and have only had a sip or two of sparkling water when there really wasn't anything else (not a big fan of tap water). It doesn't feel right. I don't want to say it was agonizing pain, but it just didn't feel right.

On New Years I had two sips of champagne...two! I felt like I was a huge ball of gas and couldn't stop burping for a full 5 minutes. I'm not one to enjoy belching in front of people, so I've decided that might be the last time I'm going to indulge on the bubbly.

I gave up diet soda almost a year before surgery, but it's the sparkling water I crave. I usually open a bottle in the morning and let it go flat. Even after hours of sitting, some bubbles are still in there and I swear I can feel them going down. Is it worth the discomfort? Not for me.

Highest Weight 286
Weight At First Pre-Op Appointment 278
Date Of Service 244
Current Weight 152
Goal 141

Posted Image

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

#12 mindy_nicole

mindy_nicole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationDamar, Ks
  • Surgeon:Dr. Zurab Tsereteli
  • Hospital:Hays Medical Center
  • Start Weight:292
  • Current Weight:168
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:03/01/2011

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

I drink diet soda. I have one a day. The research abut if carbonation stretches your pouch is varied. There is no hard evidence, it is thought that you swallow air with every drink and it is expelled he same way that carbonation would be. At first it is important to not have the carbonation because of the pressure it may put on the staple line. My doctor said that after the stomach is healed the main reason to avoid carbonation is becasue carbonation drinks are typically soda is shown to be a gateway to craving other sweets. I do not have a sweet tooth and soda isn't a gateway for me.
You will not hurt yourself by drinking soda, and if you can keep it from you craving other sweets then go ahead.
Mindy Nicole
Starting Weight 292

Reun-Y Surg Date Mar 1 2011
Current Weight 168
Goal Weight 160

#13 mussakka

mussakka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Surgeon:Dr. Moran
  • Hospital:Rex
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:439
  • Current Weight:231
  • Goal Weight:200
  • Surgery Date:12/21/11

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

The others have said it: stretching the pouch is the foremost reason not to drink carbonated beverages. Even if you shake them up to fizz the bubbles out and flatten them, once they warm up inside the body, more carbonation will come out. Another reason not to is intestinal gas from the carbonation. Another reason, which may or may not apply to WLS, is that Coke and other soft drinks like that have a meat tenderizing effect. If you soak a piece of beef in Coke you'll see what I mean. It's almost like it digests it. Ick. Then there's caffeine, sugar, and the diet soda syndrome, where many people gain weight despite drinking the diet version. Some day it's because they then feel entitled to a few extra food calories, others say it's because of some hormonal and digestive response to the artificial sweeteners. I dunno.

For me, I think water will be the single best choice and I'm going to make that at least 80% of my intake. Crystal Light and herbal teas, or decaffeinated black tea are a second alternative and would take up the other 20%.

Edited by mussakka, 03 January 2012 - 08:00 AM.

"The first obstacle to overcome on the road to success is yourself." - Mussaka

View my photography on flickr

Posted Image

#14 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,900 posts
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

First, I have never been a soda drinker. But I have been interested in the reasoning being us being encouraged not to consume carbonated drinks.

I can understand that the carbonation may cause discomfort but it's difficult to understand how the carbonation can stretch the pouch any more than plain liquids ot foods.

I asked one of my docs why we are told to avoid soda - even sugar free - and he was honest enough to tell me that he didn't really know.

This is Dr. Callery's response to a similar question:

chrystalpelton, on 24 March 2011 - 03:41 PM, said:

Hi doctor Ive asked this question several times...but noone really knows the answer...I hope you can explain it to me....I know we are not suppose to have soda....for obvious reasons...and Im not a soda drinker.... but my vice is carbonated water....it has nothing in it calories, anything but its carbonated...are we allowed to have this? Im almost 8 weeks out

Great question! The conventional wisdom is that carbonated beverages should be avoided after gastric bypass and vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Reasons stated include potential stretching of the pouch or sleeve and uncomfortable bloating caused by the expanding gas. These reasons make common sense, but to the best of my knowledge have never been tested in an objective manner. I suppose one would have to have half of a randomized group drink sodas for five or ten years and the other not. So you can see that that's just not going to happen. The question "do sodas stretch the pouch" will remain unanswered.

Another reason that surgeons advise against sodas is the possibility that drinking calorie free sodas will pave the way to drinking sugary sodas. Again, I don't know if that's likely or not, but drinking sugar sodas is the kiss of death to successful weight loss maintenance after bariatric surgery.

Really drinking any calorie containing beverages including juice bar drinks, vegetable juice, sodas, sports drinks, kids sugar drinks, ice tea containing sugar, coffee with milk, and beer will lead to intake than more calories than needed and weight gain. Now does that mean No Milk, No Juice.....? Well not really. It just means that if you drink liquid calories, you have to figure it into your daily calorie allotment and eat less of other foods. Since many calorie containing liquids have little nourishment other than sugar, that means eating less healthy stuff. A bad trade off. To summarize, if you do drink calorie containing liquids, make sure they are nutritious and include the calories in your daily calorie allotment. If they are of little nutritious value, make them small, occasional, a real treat. So have that glass of orange juice or glass of milk or glass of wine, but remember that they contain about 100 - 120 calories so skip something else and keep your calorie budget intact. Drink your calories responsibly.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~