• Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:247
  • Current Weight:113
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):19.0
  • Surgery Date:08/15/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

On Tuesday my PCP started talking about maintence and not losing any more weight. According to her scale I was 149, which still put me in the overweight BMI. My nutritionist yesterday weighed me in at 145, which put me at 24.9, just in the normal level by a hair. She also started talking about maintenence and adding about 500 more calories per day. I have some numbers that are just within the desireable ranges on the Tanita Analyzer as well.

Fat %- 31.6 (recommended level 21-32.9%)
Fat Mass- 45.8 (recommended level 26.4-48.6)
Visceral Fat Rating- 4 ( nut explained low as athelete and high as couch potato)

Now my surgeon pretty much avoids the topic of goal weight, he says you will slow down and simply plateau when the body is ready. I said to the nut and PCP that I would feel more comfortable if I hit midway thru the "normal" range. Maybe a BMI of 21, which would be 125 roughly. If I used a goal of 125, in the last year, I have lost just under 90% of my excess weight since my highest at the beginning of the program, about 65% of that being since surgery. Although they are all just numbers, it doesnt account for how I actually feel. Which for the most part is good, but I would like to see if another 20 pounds shed would help even more with my chronic pain issues.

Everyone is amazed at how fast I have lost, but just being able to increase activity has made a world of difference for me. I was using a scooter and cane daily just 5 months ago. The PCP and Nut seem like they are trying to make me feel that 125 is unrealistic, what do you think?
10660477.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Highest- 247
Day of Surgery- 220
Current- 113
Goal- 125 or so

#2 Samma

Samma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationChicagoland
  • Surgeon:James Kane
  • Hospital:St. Alexius aka worst hospital ever
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:341
  • Current Weight:182
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:07/08/11

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

I think you need to be where you feel comfortable. I would keep working out at a sustainable level eating enough to get your calories and protein in and see what happens.

Samantha

3136rfn.jpg

weight.png

Open bypass 07/08/2012
Start/DOS/Now/Goal
341/328/182/165

#3 AnnetteNJ

AnnetteNJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Surgeon:Dr. Alexander Abkin
  • Hospital:Morristown Memorial Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:233
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25
  • Surgery Date:01/31/2011

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

Shell, we live so close to each other!! I'm just across the River. I'm also 5'4" - 5'5" and thought it would be nice to get to 125 just once in my life. (I skipped over it completely at age 9 on the way up.) I think it's all a matter of how you are feeling and how you look. Sometimes we just look gaunt and not well.
I'd say, let your body tell you when you're at goal. I wouldn't push to reach 125 but if it comes, that's ok.
I'm a bit older than you and I think if I do lose much more, I think I'll be "painfully thin" as my neighbor tells me. If you're not toning muscles and doing some sort of exercise, that might help you to see yourself differently.

SCALE STOMPER #24

BMI Goal: NORMAL - 148 - 12/01/2011
Off Blood Pressure meds 12/02/2011

Ultimate Goal: To be 125 or ONE pound less than my skinny sister!! (Or at least the same BMI)

Posted Image

#4 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,248 posts
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

....... The PCP and Nut seem like they are trying to make me feel that 125 is unrealistic, what do you think?

The normal BMI range for your height is 110-145lb.

Given that you're only about 4 1/2 months out and have already reached 143lb, I'd be surprised if you didn't end up there anyway.

I'm 5'5" and I weigh 126lb as of this morning. I have a below small frame and that weight (or slightly below) is ideal for me. I don't look gaunt or sickly - there's a facial close-up in my gallery.

I had chronic joint pain and I can tell you - a 15 to 20lb additional loss made a huge impact on my hip and knee pain level. Other than joint supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin & MSM and Coromega Omega-3 - I take nothing for joint pain now.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#5 Shell74

Shell74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNE PA
  • Surgeon:Rovito
  • Hospital:LVH

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

The normal BMI range for your height is 110-145lb.

Given that you're only about 4 1/2 months out and have already reached 143lb, I'd be surprised if you didn't end up there anyway.

I'm 5'5" and I weigh 126lb as of this morning. I have a below small frame and that weight (or slightly below) is ideal for me. I don't look gaunt or sickly - there's a facial close-up in my gallery.

I had chronic joint pain and I can tell you - a 15 to 20lb additional loss made a huge impact on my hip and knee pain level. Other than joint supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin & MSM and Coromega Omega-3 - I take nothing for joint pain now.

I have arthritic joint pain and that is feeling better most days. The pain that really bothers me is all neurological no amount of weight loss will rid it. But the toning and strengthening, that the weight loss allows me to accomplish, makes the world of difference in dealing with that pain. Just the stability that I have gained is priceless. I take several prescribed pain meds 24/7 as well as as PRN meds. So far the drs are thrilled that I havent needed to up those meds with the increased activity, believe me they have offered. I opt for mild pain relief rather than complete pain relief with the side effect of being impaired. My goal of course is to get off those meds.

Cinwa, are you saying you wouldnt be surprised if I hit my goal of 125 or lower? As long as I dont lose it from my breasts I think I will be ok,lol. Right now when I lay flat they slide into my armpit, great picture I know. As long as the remaining loss is distributed evenly I think I will be good. I think anything less than that would be to much.

I have no clue whats ideal for me. I feel like I went from a size 6 after college, right to a 20W. I dont remember any point that I was fit and healthy. I guess having over 20 surgeries will do that to you,lol. We will just need to see what happens. I am more than thrilled with whatever number I end up at in the long run as long as I feel good.
10660477.png

Highest- 247
Day of Surgery- 220
Current- 113
Goal- 125 or so

#6 Shell74

Shell74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNE PA

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

Shell, we live so close to each other!! I'm just across the River. I'm also 5'4" - 5'5" and thought it would be nice to get to 125 just once in my life. (I skipped over it completely at age 9 on the way up.) I think it's all a matter of how you are feeling and how you look. Sometimes we just look gaunt and not well.
I'd say, let your body tell you when you're at goal. I wouldn't push to reach 125 but if it comes, that's ok.
I'm a bit older than you and I think if I do lose much more, I think I'll be "painfully thin" as my neighbor tells me. If you're not toning muscles and doing some sort of exercise, that might help you to see yourself differently.

Hi Annette, small world isnt it. My neighbor is making comments to me all the time about being too skinny. I feel its more that they have never seen me at these weights, so its all to sudden to grasp. Its super fast for us to grasp too! His wife is also morbidly obese and my weight loss has been hard on her, more along the lines of jealousy I think. One teacher at school makes a comment every time I see her in the hallway,and whatever teachers are around she needs to get their input. Its usually something about me melting away or Skinny Minny. It wasnt until the past few weeks once people got to know me better (I am new in this school) that they started asking questions. Some where worried that I was sick. I am fine with offering info on the procedure and how I have done, I would rather educate people than let them make assumptions. Even though it is none of their business. Everyone knows the bad info, but most people dont see the good outcomes.

As for toning, I need to get on the ball with that. So far its just been the 2-4 pound weights for basic things. I went for an exercise evaluation yesterday and had them reveiw my Total Gym info. They helped me pick thru the exercises for maximum toning with minimum irritation to my back. I just need to get motivated for it. Cardio I am good with, but I know I need to do both.
10660477.png

Highest- 247
Day of Surgery- 220
Current- 113
Goal- 125 or so

#7 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,248 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

I have arthritic joint pain and that is feeling better most days. The pain that really bothers me is all neurological no amount of weight loss will rid it. But the toning and strengthening, that the weight loss allows me to accomplish, makes the world of difference in dealing with that pain. Just the stability that I have gained is priceless. I take several prescribed pain meds 24/7 as well as as PRN meds. So far the drs are thrilled that I havent needed to up those meds with the increased activity, believe me they have offered. I opt for mild pain relief rather than complete pain relief with the side effect of being impaired. My goal of course is to get off those meds.

Cinwa, are you saying you wouldnt be surprised if I hit my goal of 125 or lower? As long as I dont lose it from my breasts I think I will be ok,lol. Right now when I lay flat they slide into my armpit, great picture I know. As long as the remaining loss is distributed evenly I think I will be good. I think anything less than that would be to much.

I have no clue whats ideal for me. I feel like I went from a size 6 after college, right to a 20W. I dont remember any point that I was fit and healthy. I guess having over 20 surgeries will do that to you,lol. We will just need to see what happens. I am more than thrilled with whatever number I end up at in the long run as long as I feel good.

Shell - you only had your RNY 4 1/2 months ago.

Just to maintain your current weight (based on your age, weight and height) without exercise, you need to be eating around 1900 calories a day. I'd be highly surprised if you come even close to that and until you do, you can expect to keep losing weight.

And fact, is - you're still early post-op so you're likely malabsorbing calories as well.

I had a 35+ year history of morbid obesity - I never knew what it was like to be a "normal" size. My advice is to just go with the flow and see where your journey takes you. I do think that you need to start trying to increase your calories to slow your weight loss down but that's easier said than done when you're still relatively newly post-op.

#8 Nana60

Nana60

Really really old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts
  • LocationBonita, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Rumsey
  • Hospital:Pacific Bariatric
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:229
  • Current Weight:138
  • Goal Weight:139
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.6
  • Surgery Date:08/23/2011

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

Boy cinwa I hope you are right. I get in between 900- 1100 calories a day and if I lose a pound a week I'm thrilled. I'm really hoping I'm not done and it will just be very slow but I will get to my goal. I also swim (aerobic) three days a week and walk everyday.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFVxgPG/]
Posted Image
[/url]

#9 Shell74

Shell74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNE PA

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

1900 calories, wow! I think I have maxed out at 1200 a few times so far. They did have me switch from nonfat items to lowfat to increase calories. I think I might need one of those hats with the straws attached, just puree the food and sip, sip, sip all day long.
10660477.png

Highest- 247
Day of Surgery- 220
Current- 113
Goal- 125 or so

#10 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,248 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

Boy cinwa I hope you are right. I get in between 900- 1100 calories a day and if I lose a pound a week I'm thrilled. I'm really hoping I'm not done and it will just be very slow but I will get to my goal. I also swim (aerobic) three days a week and walk everyday.

This site give a ballpark calorie figure Nana and it seems pretty reasonable: http://nutrition.abo.../a/calguide.htm

But on the exercise thing. I've found that I really do have to push the cardio to have much of an impact on weight loss. I recently did 30 minutes of laps in the pool and I really pushed it hard. I wore a Polar waterproof band and I burned just a touch over 200 calories. 30 minutes on my skiier is just 200 calories burned too and I work really hard on it.

It's really hard to keep that up but unless I exercise every single day, I'll have to drop my calories from 1,800/day or I'll end up putting weight on.

1900 calories, wow! I think I have maxed out at 1200 a few times so far. They did have me switch from nonfat items to lowfat to increase calories. I think I might need one of those hats with the straws attached, just puree the food and sip, sip, sip all day long.

Shell - it takes time to consistently hit 1,500 or more calories a day. And until your body stops malabsorbing calories, it's very difficult to slow your weight loss down.

I went into the underweight BMI for a while - nothing I did put a halt to the weight loss. Then at about 18 months out, with no change to my diet, I was able to put a few pounds back on and then ultimately work out a daily calorie goal to maintain.