• Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:247
  • Current Weight:113
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):19.0
  • Surgery Date:08/15/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hi Dr Gupta, thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions.

I had three 5" inscisions on my abdomen when I was a teenager, all around the appendix area. I got such horrible scar tissue, pulling and a huge flap on one side that 11 years ago the only choice was to do a panniectomy. So at the start of WLS I allready had a hip to hip scar. Now 100 pounds down I have issues with flaps on the sides and a V shaped caved in area in the middle.

With a previous panni can a second be performed? What happens with the belly button since it is allready lowered significantly? I am to early out to be making appointments for consultations, but it is just something I have been thinking about. I will be considering a breast reduction at the same time if that makes things any different. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.
10660477.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Highest- 247
Day of Surgery- 220
Current- 113
Goal- 125 or so

#2 Dr. Abhay Gupta

Dr. Abhay Gupta

Plastic Surgeon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hi Dr Gupta, thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions.

I had three 5" inscisions on my abdomen when I was a teenager, all around the appendix area. I got such horrible scar tissue, pulling and a huge flap on one side that 11 years ago the only choice was to do a panniectomy. So at the start of WLS I allready had a hip to hip scar. Now 100 pounds down I have issues with flaps on the sides and a V shaped caved in area in the middle.

With a previous panni can a second be performed? What happens with the belly button since it is allready lowered significantly? I am to early out to be making appointments for consultations, but it is just something I have been thinking about. I will be considering a breast reduction at the same time if that makes things any different. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

Hello Shell74,
Thanks for your question.
Yes a panniculectomy can be repeated several years later.
It is essentially the same operation as your first one.
If you have a lot of extra skin on the sides and flanks, then you may benefit from a belt lipectomy (all the way around your waist and back).
Once you have reached a stable weight post WLS, your plastic surgeon can discuss the exact procedure in more detail.
The belly button can usually be saved depending on how much scarring there already is in the area.
Hope that helps.
Sincerely, Abhay Gupta, MD, FACS.