jules74

Stomach Noises Post-Op?

23 posts in this topic

I have not read this topic anywhere yet (I could have missed it) but since having my gastric bypass surgery I have noticed that my new stomach/pouch makes some interesting noises. When I drink water, for example, it will sometimes make gurgling noises or like the noise a stomach would make when it growls when you are hungry or something. Usually I don't mind but when I am in a meeting at work, and sipping my water, I don't want my tummy to be making loud noises for all to hear. It is not really "gas" or anything like that, but more so just noises it makes after eating lunch or sipping water in the afternoon. My pouch is quite the noisy, gurgling little pouch these days. I just feel that it is so loud! My admin at work, when I was talking to her this morning said "Was that my stomach or yours?" I said "Oh, its mine. My tummy makes all kinds of new noises since having this surgery!"

Has anyone else had this experience or is it just me and my loud pouch?

I have them, too! Not sure if it's just adjusting or will always be this way. My whole digestive tract seems to be very "rumbly," in fact. During week 2, I thought it was just getting used to being engaged again since I was off liquids and eating things like yogurt and milk. Now it's just rumbly after I eat anything. No cramps or anything, just noisy!

Hi Jules-- I have a lot of gurggling also. It feels to me that it is coming from somewhere around my mid throat ad not my stomach...I don't know if that is possible or if anyone else has that experience?

I get it too..like a sink draining. What really weirds me out is sometimes my "old" tummy will growl. We are a veritable symphony of gurgles after having our plumbing rearranged.

Jan - Yes!! I get that too! It's like a burp that comes from your mid-throat but its not really a burp. It's like a mid-throat gurgle. Gotta love it! And I thought I was the only one, haha. Maybe its a special Johns Hopkins trademark. :)

allygator - the sound of a sink draining is a good comparison! I didn't even think about the old tummy making noises too. All I know is that I have been hearing quite the sound effects coming from my pouch! Glad I'm not alone.

Me too! It sometimes keeps me awake at night. I've noticed that its noisier depending on what I'm eating/drinking. If I put spices in my food to kick it up a notch, that's when the tumbly goes all grumbly. It was more apparent early on and it doesn't do it as much anymore, but I still get it now and then.

Mine does this too! For me, it doesn't matter what I'm eating or drinking. My sister thinks it's hysterical! I did ask my surgeon, and he said it's very normal. I'll take a noisy stomach any day though!! :D

Jules- - I asked the NUT about it and she said it is from eating too fast or too much...but I don't think that is completely it....have you asked?

Jan -

No, I haven't asked yet (my 3 month follow-up is coming up at the end of January) but I will bring it up. I just think it is so weird. I know I drink my water too fast sometimes and in the morning I have decaf coffee and wow, the sound effects start up then. Or when I have my Greek yogurt for breakfast. Lots of sloshing and sounds. I'll be sure to ask about it. I'm not worried about it but I just never heard the topic come up before about the sounds of the new tummy! I figured I couldn't be the only one who has these sounds...and I was right. Others have this too, apparently.

I've also a VERY noisy stomach. I don't see any correlation between type of food or speed of eating or how well I chew. I just figure it's part of post-op.

Hi Jules-- I have a lot of gurggling also. It feels to me that it is coming from somewhere around my mid throat ad not my stomach...I don't know if that is possible or if anyone else has that experience?

Absolutely. Had this with the lap band and still get it sometimes with the bypass. To my understanding it's pockets of air that you swallowed with your food/drink that is trying to get released.

Wow, ok.....I see that others are having the same issues. I'm at a temporary job right now, and it's a very echo-ey work environment and you can hear everything, including my stomach!! It's rather embarrassing.

The "noise" is not necessarily coming from the pouch. More like your jejunum or upper intestines. I had asked my surgeon way back in February and he pointed out where the pouch was and where the intestines were. My tummy is most noisey when I'm drinking my coffee. Stike up the band!!!

I am also experiencing the noise. I has surgery on 12/12/11. Sometimes I think it is because I need to use the restroom but it never works out that way. Glad to know it is normal. I almost called the doc to see if it was something I was doing.

I have stomach gurgling, but only when I am seeing patients. :P I think that it is particularly loud when I drink cold water fast.

Kristi

I have a very noisy little sleeve too, LOL. Makes quite the annoying noises sometimes. Usually in meetings. :P

my hubby is 1 1/2 yr out and his stomach (or whatever it is) makes a TON of noises - all the time - doesn't seem to matter if he's just eaten or not.

I'm over a week out and mine is starting to sound like a drain -

My innerds have continued to be very vocal.

On top of that, very early post-op, I developed what I can only explain as a cross between a hiccup and a burp. It came without warning and it was very loud.

My surgeon said that it was probably something to do with the vagus nerve and it would disappear - which it did.

But the noisy plumbing hasn't.

Yup! I'm over nine months out and I still have the noisy innards issue. I sometimes can't tell where it's coming from! I don't see a correlation between eating and noises either. I am having some now and I've been sipping water on and off for a couple of hours...

i have now joined this noisey stomach club. its embaressing

Too funny. I think this is something i would have preferred to know in advance, just to be prepared. :)

My tummy is very vocal. My younger daughter will talk to it, and it seems to be an equal conversation. Glad I am not the only one.

My body has definitely become a symphony!

So glad to know I'm not alone with this noisy tummy thing. I've never heard anyone discuss it but apparently, a lot of us have it! My tummy is making some bizarre sounds as I type this. Gotta love it!