mom2theAteam

Twisted Small Intestine

9 posts in this topic

I have had really tough problems over the past year with terrible bloating, horrible gas pains, and would be miserable enough to the point that my stomach felt full even though I had not eaten. It progressed to also having problems with constipation, terrible stomach pains and then recently got to the point where I couldn't eat solid foods without getting sick, I could only have liquids. I went to see my internist again last week for some follow-up and she ordered a CT scan (due to not being able to eat). She thought it was a stomach ulcer, and after the CT scan the following day, both she and my surgeon (who had performed my RNY) were calling me. Turns out my small instestines had twisted and I needed surgery to correct. Had surgery this past Monday and am recuperating.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I'm so sorry you have experienced this complication. But I'm glad they figured out what was wrong and were able to correct it. I hope you recover quickly! This has not happened to me (and I hope it never does) but I have read that this particular complication, while not common, is certainly not unheard of. Good luck to you for an easy recovery!

Hi there...I had RNY too, and I also had my intestine twist like you. I had all the signs and symptoms that you did, except mine was 2 1/2 months out. Let me tell you after the surgery to untwist everything, it was like a whole new world for me :) I am now 25 months out, and I haven't had any problems since...I did have a hard time eating meat right away, and I started slow with easier things like chicken, and eventually progressed to beef...and this all happened within 6 months time :) I am so glad they figured it out for you...Keep your chin up! You will be feeling better in no time!

Just joined so I could post and seen your thread. My fiance is the one who has had gastric bypass about 3-4 years ago. She doesn't do forums so I am doing it for my own information. This last year has been a nightmare for her. Stomach pain constantly, pain with eating, constipation. 5 trips at least to ER, 4 CAT scans and on this last one that found a twisted intesting, actually one that had sucked back into itself. Operated a month ago and healing has been very slow. Still lots of pain with the incision and also daily pain with eating. Feels the urge to throw up after nearly every meal. I don't understand this at all. What is inside that makes this happen. They fixed the intestine and the original pain site is better. But she is constantly ill after eating and has no energy. She is her own worst enemy and doesn't do much to make it better. Thats why I'm on here looking for information if there is any. Shes had more tests than a college student with little decent results. Anyone else experience this eating feeling? Help.....

Just joined so I could post and seen your thread. My fiance is the one who has had gastric bypass about 3-4 years ago. She doesn't do forums so I am doing it for my own information. This last year has been a nightmare for her. Stomach pain constantly, pain with eating, constipation. 5 trips at least to ER, 4 CAT scans and on this last one that found a twisted intesting, actually one that had sucked back into itself. Operated a month ago and healing has been very slow. Still lots of pain with the incision and also daily pain with eating. Feels the urge to throw up after nearly every meal. I don't understand this at all. What is inside that makes this happen. They fixed the intestine and the original pain site is better. But she is constantly ill after eating and has no energy. She is her own worst enemy and doesn't do much to make it better. Thats why I'm on here looking for information if there is any. Shes had more tests than a college student with little decent results. Anyone else experience this eating feeling? Help.....

I think what you're describing is an intussusception Mike - it's rare but known long term complication of not just of a gastric bypass but of any surgery on the bowel or small colon. In fact, there are non-surgical causes too (adhesions, cancerous growths, problems with the movement of food through the digestive tract, long-term diarrhea etc.: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM00711

I've only known one person post-WLS who had an intussusception - they recovered well after surgery and were pretty much back to normal at 2 months post-op.

Given that it's food that seems to be causing her pain and she's had a lot of tests already, maybe it might be worth getting her to see a nutritionist who has experience with gastric bypass patients.

I think what you're describing is an intussusception Mike - it's rare but known long term complication of not just of a gastric bypass but of any surgery on the bowel or small colon. In fact, there are non-surgical causes too (adhesions, cancerous growths, problems with the movement of food through the digestive tract, long-term diarrhea etc.: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM00711

I've only known one person post-WLS who had an intussusception - they recovered well after surgery and were pretty much back to normal at 2 months post-op.

Given that it's food that seems to be causing her pain and she's had a lot of tests already, maybe it might be worth getting her to see a nutritionist who has experience with gastric bypass patients.

That might be a good idea, now to get her to do it. She is tough when it comes to doing what she needs to do. Eating and the reaction after does seem to be the biggest problem she has as of now. Some constipation problems too. I will suggest what you mentioned.

thanks.

I just recently started having a lot of pain on left side under my ribs is this how it started with you?

Also, we need to note that post RNY, we are at an elevated risk for twisted intestines/bowels and/or obstructions and that pain needs to be discussed with our doctors, sooner rather than later. If left, it could be quite serious.

I was 9 years out and had excruciating pain one day,had a CAT Scan, and emergency surgery on my twisted bowel. That was 2 years ago.  I have since had two more twisted bowel  surgeries.  I feel like pooh most days. Has anyone else had this experience?