Claire-in-Texas

The Honeymoon Period

520 posts in this topic

This was well written and NOT judgemental..which makes all the difference. I am in my honeymoon period and have been known to take a bite of this or a bite of that! I recently started to work out...and I think was justifying that! This was exactly what I needed to get me back on the path! THank you for sharing in kindness and care!

Thank you so much for posting this for us early post ops !! I myself am working hard at keeping away from the foods that got myself into this mess in the first place. Im trying to prepair my body for the future because this is IT for me. It's funny alot of times my partner will say " Oh you can have some , your going to lose weight anyway " . He doesnt get it that I don't want it . I dont want it anymore.

It feels good that someone out there understands this process .

Thanks alot ! =)

I'm not on here often anymore but I just wanted to say-- Thank you Claire, for posting this! While I don't always agree with everyone's way of eating post-op (I'm more of a well balanced diet kind of girl..not a 'moderation'..just a balanced), I completely agree with what you had to say. We truly do have to change the way we eat for life. We have a physical side of things which is the 'honeymoon' phase but we also have something I think is even more important, the mental side of things. You'll lose during your honeymoon phase-- it's fact. But if you aren't eating the -right- foods, the right calories..if you aren't striving for a healthy way of eating, then that phase will truly be wasted and you will most likely end up gaining weight back. This surgery is SO mental and we aren't always prepared for that. I don't touch a lot of foods, especially processed foods because I had those in my past life as a fattie and I know exactly where they got me. Instead I munch on 'mini meals' which are basically snacks, throughout the day, to keep a steady blood sugar. Snacks that are lean protein based, low-fat dairy, healthy nuts, fruits and veggies. This isn't just the way I'm eating for 12-18 months and then it's back to the old ways. NO. This is my LIFE. This is simply how I eat now and I don't feel miss the old ways whatsoever.

A new year, a new you. We always have a chance to restart with every and every meal we have-- we have the opportunity to make the right choices. Thank you for reminding us of what those choices should be Claire!! I think a lot of us needed it <3

Edited by NewMeNow2010
MarcieR likes this

Yeah, I've been on 1200 cals for losing as well. Not sure where I'll end up for maintenance, but there is no calorie guideline at all, so I will have to figure it out based on my own metabolic rate and etc.

See, I love TT. I love the people, I love the posts (like Claire's here, great example!), I love just about everything about it. But I also feel like I sorta have to stay 'in the closet' when I post here, because my guidelines are SO different to most people's that it just makes me feel like i m doin it rong when I take it too much to heart. My whole program is based on moderation and balanced eating, including things like potatoes and pasta. (I personally limit them because potatoes don't feel so great in ye olde sleeve and pasta was never a favorite of mine anyhow.) No protein shakes, no liquids-only period, no real mushies or purees even. What I'm NOT sure about now is whether the same diet guidelines I have were also given to all other WLS patients in my Clinic -- I know they are all told to eat balanced meals, but I don't know if they are given snacking guidelines or calorie levels etc.

They did such an extensive battery of tests on me pre-op, including a loooooong investigation of my eating habits and weight history. Based on that, they determined what my weak points were and basically told me to watch out for those (it boiled down to too much at one sitting/portion size [fixed this one by taking out my stomach LOL] and a penchant for fatty meats like sausage and salami, which I can't eat very much of anymore anyhow). Then they told me how to eat post-op, and it included having full 'days off' where I didn't track what I ate, having three meals and three snacks per day, eating balanced by going 'round the circle' -- meaning, take a bite of meat/protein, then a bite of veg, then a bite of carb; repeat till done, etc. They didn't tell me I couldn't have coffee, that would not occur to them anyhow. They didn't tell me I couldn't have alcohol, they just told me to be careful of how it might affect me and not to drink too much of it the first few months cos it's high-cal anyhow. They said to limit sodas because of the sugar in them (they're also suspicious of artificial sweeteners LOL, though I have used them my whole life and don't really like full-sugar versions of any drink) and to see how the carbonation did on your new insides. They said it didn't matter whether I drank fizzy water or non-fizzy, though most people seem to be more comfortable with non-fizzy post-op, they said.

Anyhow, that is the long-winded way of saying, I am meant to eat in moderation. That IS my plan, that IS my guideline. And it actually works out fine for me, which I realise is certainly not the case for everyone. I was anyhow not a binge eater or even much of a snacker pre-op, so I am guessing it will not suddenly become an issue for me, but I will be all over it if it is. I haven't seen any convincing evidence of a 'honeymoon phase' for VSG yet -- I guess aside from the fact that early post-op many patients have a very hard time getting in calories (I wasn't one of those LOL) for some period of time and they have to work their way up to higher calories over time, and most of them lose their sense of hunger entirely. But the small sleeve-stomach is with you for life, and I get full almost as quickly now as I did at about two months post-op -- so my swelling went down fast, but my portions haven't increased significantly really since then, and my hunger only went away for like two days. I do track my food most days, with the 'days off' here and there mostly on special occasions rather than every weekend. Sometimes when I'm not tracking I'm more careful than when I am.

So now I'm just rambling on. I guess I just wanted to say that there are different strokes for different folks -- which I know can also be used as a justification for bad behaviour for people with food issues. To be honest, I have always been more worried about reinstalling and re-enabling bad ED behaviours than I am about suddenly overeating and regaining. This is why *I* take things pretty moderately -- I'm worried (I'd rather say 'careful' as I've miraculously NOT gotten overly neurotic about things very often) about overdoing it, inflating my calories, restricting more and more, over-exercising, etc., than I am about snacking, fast food, and taking up soda-drinking. For me, eating a naughty cupcake here and there is a good sign...

Thanks for listening to my ramble. I gotta be me.

You're not rambling Dee :) My program is VERY similar. In fact, I had an exchange in emails between my NUT and I when I was unsure of how many calories to be taking in, what foods to have, etc and she reinforced that it is basically everything in moderation which I kind of consider a 'well rounded' way of eating. There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with starchy carbs or healthy fats, as my NUT said-- we -shouldn't- be on a low carb diet. I don't partake in pasteries or sugary things, most pasta, most rice, most breads, most crackers and no chips just because I've never been big on them and a lot of times- my pouch can't handle them. I do believe in well rounded eating though. She stresses a diet that focuses on lean protein, carbs (yes- starchy), fruits, veggies and healthy fats. I agree- different strokes for different folks because a lot of us have such different plans. <3

Edited by NewMeNow2010

Jess - we can make life easier for ourselves around the holiday times by adjusting our calorie intake for a few days beforehand.

I cut back on my usual 1,800 cals/day maintenance by 100-200 cals a day for 5-7 days beforehand. If it's an unplanned event, just cut back 100-200 cals a day afterwards for a few days afterwards.

I know several long term WLS people (some are over 10 years out) who do that on a continual basis. They restrict their calories M-F which allows them leeway at the weekends.

Love this! I did something similar-- I was very basic the week before the holidays (all of our holiday parties, etc) and focused on getting in my lean protein, that way when the holidays rolled around it was okay to have a tbsp of this or a tbsp of that. Helped me lose weight over the holidays :)

Claire/Corrine/Kel,

You guys are MY HEROES!

Just sayin'..............

I learn something every day from you ladies..........It especially helps me since I'm not in my 20's, 30's, or hell even my 40's.........Being 54, there are some aspects of this WLS journey which are different for us "seniors". The baseline rules are the same, but things DO work a little differently for us.

Corrine's calorie counter site was GREAT, but I'm scared to death to consume a maintenance diet of 1830 calories a day, so that will be "modified", LOL!

Love you all!

Nancy

Julie_T and MarcieR like this

Claire/Corrine/Kel,

You guys are MY HEROES!

I learn something every day from you ladies..........It especially helps me since I'm not in my 20's, 30's, or hell even my 40's.........Being 54, there are some aspects of this WLS journey which are different for us "seniors". The baseline rules are the same, but things DO work a little differently for us.

Corrine's calorie counter site was GREAT, but I'm scared to death to consume a maintenance diet of 1830 calories a day, so that will be "modified", LOL!

Love you all!

Nancy

I find that site gives a me reasonably accurate calorie guideline.

I'll be 57 in a few weeks and it has me at 1700 calories/day without exercise. Although I exercise every day (yoga/pilates), I only do that hard cardio stuff 3-4 times a week for 20 minutes a time. I keep my weight stable on 1800-1900 calories/day.

Thank you so much for your insightful post.

I intend on making this change, the chance of a lifetime!

Thank you.

Monet

Very true thanks so much!

Claire/Corrine/Kel,

You guys are MY HEROES!

Love you all!

Nancy

Nancy, I'm interested to know, given that you have done so well (your stats to the left), what you think is different for us seniors that you would not have encountered when you were younger.

I've been reflecting on this, and the only aspect that I would say is/was different for me is how I exercise. I have back issues so I have to be careful.

CinWa, any input on this?

Best,

Claire

Claire,

I observed from many posts that those folks in their 20's and 30's "seemed" to lose and attain their goal weights faster. I attributed that to slowing metabolism as we age, but I'm not an expert, so I could be completely off base, ha ha! It took me 16 months to get to within 2 lbs of my goal.

And, like you, my back and joints just couldn't tolerate the major exercise regimen that some of the younger folks have absolutely no issues with.

But I'm doing well- the best part is feeling great and having great lab work! My cholesterol is perfect for the first time ever, I think, LOL!

Thanks for everything, Claire!

Nancy

Julie_T likes this

Claire,

I observed from many posts that those folks in their 20's and 30's "seemed" to lose and attain their goal weights faster. I attributed that to slowing metabolism as we age, but I'm not an expert, so I could be completely off base, ha ha! It took me 16 months to get to within 2 lbs of my goal.

And, like you, my back and joints just couldn't tolerate the major exercise regimen that some of the younger folks have absolutely no issues with.

But I'm doing well- the best part is feeling great and having great lab work! My cholesterol is perfect for the first time ever, I think, LOL!

Thanks for everything, Claire!

Nancy

Nancy,

You know what? It doesn't matter - it just doesn't matter about the chronological number that is our age! We live in our own perceptions, and my own are that you and I lost it quick, and we are living the result! :)

Congratulations! You go, girl!

Best,

Claire

MarcieR likes this

I was thinking...if you're alone with the work Xmas goodies and you can't move them, can you maybe spray Lysol really close to them? That way you'll know maybe it might taste like Lysol and it'll keep you away? Or am I just evil like that?

When I did Ww I refused to attend food day events at work. If people gave me candy I threw it out or have it someone else. I think I offended some people but who cares? They can go be fat and eat their cheese dip and cookies without me! Lol.

MarcieR likes this

I was thinking...if you're alone with the work Xmas goodies and you can't move them, can you maybe spray Lysol really close to them? That way you'll know maybe it might taste like Lysol and it'll keep you away? Or am I just evil like that?

When I did Ww I refused to attend food day events at work. If people gave me candy I threw it out or have it someone else. I think I offended some people but who cares? They can go be fat and eat their cheese dip and cookies without me! Lol.

I have been known to throw goodies in the trash, and pour wet coffee grounds on it - no kidding, no lie! :)

Claire

MarcieR likes this

Thank you so much for posting this! I am almost 5 months post-gastric bypass. I am trying hard to gain control over my food issues. They have controlled me for far too long! Thanks again!

Shannon Hagood

I usually post messages that reflect a true "high" in my journey, whether it be a proud/WOW moment, or other aspects.

Not this time.

I've been reading a lot on the forum, and I'm really concerned. And this isn't about ME - it's about YOU.

I'm posting in Socialize in the hope that people at different phases in the journey will take this to heart and embrace it - I offer it with love and respect in my heart, and experience.

I have been reading a lot about eating "in moderation," outside the box of sensibility, from people in their honeymoon period. I read a lot about people feeling they are sacrificing the reward of eating a delicious and sugary something. A lot of angst, a lot of anger, a lot of stress. Of course, i read a lot about how wonderful people feel achieving their earned successes. I am totally thrilled by that.

If I may, I would like to address those of you who are in their first year post op, and the earlier the better.

This is what I have learned and realized now that I am in maintenance, and at my lowest weight.

I have learned that long-term success is due to a radical change of eating/lifestyle habits. Operative word: RADICAL. This is not news to you, but many, I fear, are pushing the envelope. One can't re-invent the wheel. Follow the guidelines and it works. Sounds simple - it IS simple - and that's the only way this journey works.

Honeymooners, strictly (and I mean STRICTLY) follow the eating guidelines. Moderation with other food is not a good path during this period - it's an excuse to prolong the wrong habits. If you follow the guidelines mentioned, then moderation becomes something completely different when you are years post op. Trust me, I'm there. I was a total carboholic, a food addict, an emotional eater, a lover of delicious large portions. No more. I have a base pattern of eating that works for me that has evolved during and since the honeymoon period - a DIFFERENT way of eating. I love pizza and birthday cake. One bite is enough. And I still LOVE to eat, and enjoy every morsel. But food is no longer the center of my universe.

You will not fall off the wagon if you strap yourself in.

It doesn't matter if you dump or not, which surgery you had, how fast or slow the weight is coming off. That is a small part of this huge journey. The MAIN issue here is a path to success, and that path is the GIFT of the tool AND the guidelines.

Honeymooners, I want for you what I have. I received very good advice when I was where you are, and I am making this humble attempt to pay it forward.

The best to you...

Great information!! Thanks for the reminders :)

Everyone has said what I am thinking, but another echo won't hurt... THANK YOU For posting... I can't wait until my surgery :)

Everyone has said what I am thinking, but another echo won't hurt... THANK YOU For posting... I can't wait until my surgery :)

Kelley, congratulations and best wishes for a exciting and rewarding honeymoon period!!!!

Claire

Thanks for posting such a great thread!!! Not only great for honeymooners, but great for pre-ops: this thread has given me a more realistic picture of what to expect than anything else I have read so far. I really appreciate it!!!

Diana

Thanks for posting such a great thread!!! Not only great for honeymooners, but great for pre-ops: this thread has given me a more realistic picture of what to expect than anything else I have read so far. I really appreciate it!!!

Diana

Diana, thank you for this. You have no idea what your comment means to me.

Best to you!

Claire

I just joined this site. Having just recently making the decision I want to persue WLS. I'd have to say this is one of the most candid threads I've read!

Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences!

CeCeJD likes this

I just joined this site. Having just recently making the decision I want to persue WLS. I'd have to say this is one of the most candid threads I've read!

Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences!

Red, your post means a great deal to me. I so want to reach people like yourself, people who have yet to have a frame of reference as to the reality of this journey.

My very best wishes to you on your journey. It is life-changing, and challenging.

Claire

I keep this thread bookmarked. It's worth reading over and over again.

But something I realized a long time ago is that I'm not on a journey because to be successful, I can't allow this trip to end.

I've got to keep on track, watch out for the detours and road blocks and periodically take a different route. But ultimately, I'm going to be on the road forever!

I keep this thread bookmarked. It's worth reading over and over again.

But something I realized a long time ago is that I'm not on a journey because to be successful, I can't allow this trip to end.

I've got to keep on track, watch out for the detours and road blocks and periodically take a different route. But ultimately, I'm going to be on the road forever!

I call it the journey without destination, and you make a REALLY good point. I, too, have to mix it up sometimes to travel this journey.

MarcieR likes this

This is a reality thread who is just starting this journey.. I have had 2 family members and one friend who had the surgery to put it all back on.

I am not even telling them or anyone related to them.

I am thankful for this forum and the reality and compassion of everyone here.