Claire-in-Texas

The Honeymoon Period

Thank you Claire for starting this post.  It is very helpful at any stage of this process.

It began when we hit bottom and walked into the doctor's office looking for a way out.  I think including myself we forget the bottom feeling as we are losing weight.  We start feeling great and try to push the boundaries but in pushing we may end up back to where we started.  I am in the process of getting authorization for the surgery and hoping it will be sooner than later but when it happens that will be the right time for me. 

Claire, could you talk about the difference between the honeymoon phase versus long term weight lose due to the surgery.  Meaning I keep reading about the honeymoon and then the weight lose stops?  I don't understand. 

On 6/8/2016 at 0:36 PM, SunnyDay2016 said:

Thank you Claire for starting this post.  It is very helpful at any stage of this process.

It began when we hit bottom and walked into the doctor's office looking for a way out.  I think including myself we forget the bottom feeling as we are losing weight.  We start feeling great and try to push the boundaries but in pushing we may end up back to where we started.  I am in the process of getting authorization for the surgery and hoping it will be sooner than later but when it happens that will be the right time for me. 

Claire, could you talk about the difference between the honeymoon phase versus long term weight lose due to the surgery.  Meaning I keep reading about the honeymoon and then the weight lose stops?  I don't understand. 

It doesn´t stop but it slows down considerably, at least in my experience. Now I have to really watch what I eat, the calories, the quality of the food and work out more. The end of the honeymoon period is a combination of your stomack and intestines adapting and the fact that your body now has a lot less to lose. Be smart, do everything that you are told pre and post-op, lose all that you can during your honeymoon. Something that not all doctors tell you is that maintenance is the hardest part. I lost the weight all on my own twice, and gained it all back with a bonus. Now, with the surgery, I want it to be forever so I´m committed 100%. The surgery will completely change your life but you have to be willing to maintain the results. The best of luck with your journey, you will not regret it.

On 8/6/2016 at 10:36 AM, SunnyDay2016 said:

Hello Sunny!

Please accept my apology for the long delay.  I was in Las Vegas for almost two weeks, and I didn't look at my email!  Shame on me! :)

You raise a very good question.  The honeymoon period is the period of time where your limited intake, and slow return to various foods (based on your doc's recommendations) cause you to start over again with habits.  We have obviously had very poor ones, and this is the way the tool allows us to spend months developing far better habits (assuming we don't push the envelope). 

It is almost 10 years since my surgery.  I weigh the same, give or take 3 or 4 pounds at any given time.  Over the two weeks I was in Las Vegas, for business and pleasure, my mind and stomach caused me to seek out my beloved yogurt and fruit, chili, grilled hamburger without bun, etc.  I had a scoop of ice cream during that time, and that was fine (no guilt), but I resumed my good food eating after that. As obsessed as I had been for decades about eating and eating, now I enjoy eating like a normal person, BECAUSE I ALLOWED MY EATING HABITS TO CHANGE OVER TIME.   I am not suggesting you have only yogurt and fruit, chili, etc.  What I am saying is that the food I found that was delicious and satisfying during the honeymoon period, remained with me. I have no idea when the end of that period was for me.  It is a transition period.  I slowed down weight loss after about 9 months, completed 130 lbs of total weight loss in 13 months.

Here is the important thing to remember.  We hear a lot about people gaining the weight back after this type of surgery.  Keep in mind that the failure (a huge percent of the time) is in the human's desire to push the envelope, and not the tool.  So therefore, go forward with tunnel vision, accepts that it works, and follow your guidelines to the letter  Your slim and healthy body will thank you, and you will look wonderful!

Best,

Claire

I hope you had a great time in Vegas!  No worries on delayed answer, appreciate the answer at any time. 

Claire, you definitely gave me and assuming others something to think about.  Why are we even doing this in the first place; to get healthy, lose weight, and improved lifestyle.  So with that, why do we push the guidelines/plan if it is working?  That is the million dollar question to which I hope I can somewhat resolve before surgery. 

I have been on all diets that I cant even keep track, lost more weight than I can count and still have a weight issue.  In my case, I believe that the break from food, will give the time to implement healthy habits to which I enjoy without even thinking about the sugary and fatty foods that became my downfall.  Yes I am a dessert eater more so than a meal eater, completely empty calories.  The soon to be smaller stomach will reinforce my healthy food intake to become healthier all around. 

Thank you again because your post and others on this site has helped me a lot through a pre-op process.  Finishing all my requirements by mid September then wait for the surgery date. 

13 hours ago, SunnyDay2016 said:

I hope you had a great time in Vegas!  No worries on delayed answer, appreciate the answer at any time. 

Claire, you definitely gave me and assuming others something to think about.  Why are we even doing this in the first place; to get healthy, lose weight, and improved lifestyle.  So with that, why do we push the guidelines/plan if it is working?  That is the million dollar question to which I hope I can somewhat resolve before surgery. 

I have been on all diets that I cant even keep track, lost more weight than I can count and still have a weight issue.  In my case, I believe that the break from food, will give the time to implement healthy habits to which I enjoy without even thinking about the sugary and fatty foods that became my downfall.  Yes I am a dessert eater more so than a meal eater, completely empty calories.  The soon to be smaller stomach will reinforce my healthy food intake to become healthier all around. 

Thank you again because your post and others on this site has helped me a lot through a pre-op process.  Finishing all my requirements by mid September then wait for the surgery date. 

Yes!  Had a lovely time in Las Vegas!  It was a convention for Paparazzi Jewelry with a lot of R & R before and after! 

My suggestion to you is that you try not to analyze and think about how it will be after your surgery.  You have no idea how you will feel, and it will be very different than anything you have experienced in the past.  I suggest, for best results, to embrace it, accept it, and move forward with it.  Take it as it comes.  Follow your guidelines.  It is really that simple.  We humans tend to complicate things, but that's the best advice I can give you. 

It's right around the corner for you!  How fabulous and exciting!

Best,

Claire

Claire-awesome to hear from you! I am at my goal and life is fantastic! It is so easy that I wish I would have done this sooner. Thanks for being here for us. It's awesome to hear from someone who is more than a couple years out!

On 8/13/2016 at 7:15 PM, JulieW said:

Claire-awesome to hear from you! I am at my goal and life is fantastic! It is so easy that I wish I would have done this sooner. Thanks for being here for us. It's awesome to hear from someone who is more than a couple years out!

And YOU are awesome!!!  Congratulations! 

I personally feel like my honeymoon period is coming to an end- while i had no stalls at all for the first 5 1/2 months, I have stalls on the regular now. Weight loss has slowed considerably.  However, I weigh daily and document my weight, which helps me a lot when i'm feeling frustrated.  I look over my overall weight loss for the week or the month and i see that i am still trending downward, which is all that matters.  

I used the honeymoon period as a way to be re born, in a way.  I considered the pre-op diet and the post op re-introduction of food as almost a detox period for me.  Once I detoxed from my vice (pastries, sweets, donuts. dooooohhnuts) I decided that i wasn't going to go back. I know there are those who can indulge every so often once they are in maintenance, but i also know i am not one of them.  tasting a tiny dip of frosting of a cake i was making someone lit my brain up like a firecracker. I am an addict, i can't have "just one".  

The beautiful part of it is I don't crave those things anymore.  I keep forgetting to throw out a box of munchkins that are on top of my fridge from over a month ago (my mom brought them for my kids).  

So i guess i'm echoing what claire has to say- it's a time to re-learn and and re-wire your noggin.  If you continue to do it, and are consistent, your lifetime of destructive eating behaviors can be replaced with good food choices and a healthy lifestyle.  I highly, HIGHLY recommend a good therapist,  preferably one with experience with bariatrics.  I credit much of my continuing success to mine.  I am excited for you and for your future.  You're on the right track if you're thinking about all of this now. While nothing can prepare you for what it actually feels like (kind of like hearing everyone's labor stories before you have your own kid), you can try to learn from all of us who have walked your path.  I hope for awesome things for you in the months to come! xo

3 hours ago, bellamoma said:

I personally feel like my honeymoon period is coming to an end- while i had no stalls at all for the first 5 1/2 months, I have stalls on the regular now. Weight loss has slowed considerably.  However, I weigh daily and document my weight, which helps me a lot when i'm feeling frustrated.  I look over my overall weight loss for the week or the month and i see that i am still trending downward, which is all that matters.  

I used the honeymoon period as a way to be re born, in a way.  I considered the pre-op diet and the post op re-introduction of food as almost a detox period for me.  Once I detoxed from my vice (pastries, sweets, donuts. dooooohhnuts) I decided that i wasn't going to go back. I know there are those who can indulge every so often once they are in maintenance, but i also know i am not one of them.  tasting a tiny dip of frosting of a cake i was making someone lit my brain up like a firecracker. I am an addict, i can't have "just one".  

The beautiful part of it is I don't crave those things anymore.  I keep forgetting to throw out a box of munchkins that are on top of my fridge from over a month ago (my mom brought them for my kids).  

So i guess i'm echoing what claire has to say- it's a time to re-learn and and re-wire your noggin.  If you continue to do it, and are consistent, your lifetime of destructive eating behaviors can be replaced with good food choices and a healthy lifestyle.  I highly, HIGHLY recommend a good therapist,  preferably one with experience with bariatrics.  I credit much of my continuing success to mine.  I am excited for you and for your future.  You're on the right track if you're thinking about all of this now. While nothing can prepare you for what it actually feels like (kind of like hearing everyone's labor stories before you have your own kid), you can try to learn from all of us who have walked your path.  I hope for awesome things for you in the months to come! xo

Beautifully said Bellamomma!

I feel the same way. I was and still am an addict. I can't indulge in even a bite. I know I should see a therapist but keep postponing.

Congrats on your weight loss so far. You're close to goal. Keep up the good work!

Allow me to join the chorus and say thank you Claire for your very informative and inspiring post. You offer a beautiful example of WLS success.i hope to follow in your footsteps.

aw, thanks sleevalicious! i needed that today! :D

On 8/16/2016 at 2:26 PM, Sleevalicious said:

Allow me to join the chorus and say thank you Claire for your very informative and inspiring post. You offer a beautiful example of WLS success.i hope to follow in your footsteps.

Truly my pleasure! 

Claire

On 2 December 2011 at 3:03 PM, Claire-in-Texas said:

Honeymooners, strictly (and I mean STRICTLY) follow the eating guidelines. Moderation with other food is not a good path during this period - it's an excuse to prolong the wrong habits.

You will not fall off the wagon if you strap yourself in.

I am a month pre-op...I am so glad that I found this site...this post...honest experienced talkers before I have my surgery...it is literally changing EVERYTHING for me which is wonderful! 

the only person I know who has had bariatric surgery went back to 'normal' eating ASAP after surgery (eating very chewed biscuits which had been dunked in tea on day 3!!!!!) and I was sickened by how often I heard the word 'managed'...like, 3 weeks post op 'managing' deep fried prawn toast from a takeaway as though it were some sort of challenge and achievement to be proud of. They have lost well, but were very heavy to begin with so had a lot to lose. They have changed no habits and I am so sad that they haven't lost in about 2 months and, I believe to have begun to regain weight because of this...the path, so far, for them physically has been completely life changing and I am heart sore at the thought of them having bother now because of their extremely poor choices early on. 

Even had they seen this, they wouldn't have behaved differently...I guess some people will always push the envelope. 

2 hours ago, AlbaGuBrath said:

I am a month pre-op...I am so glad that I found this site...this post...honest experienced talkers before I have my surgery...it is literally changing EVERYTHING for me which is wonderful! 

the only person I know who has had bariatric surgery went back to 'normal' eating ASAP after surgery (eating very chewed biscuits which had been dunked in tea on day 3!!!!!) and I was sickened by how often I heard the word 'managed'...like, 3 weeks post op 'managing' deep fried prawn toast from a takeaway as though it were some sort of challenge and achievement to be proud of. They have lost well, but were very heavy to begin with so had a lot to lose. They have changed no habits and I am so sad that they haven't lost in about 2 months and, I believe to have begun to regain weight because of this...the path, so far, for them physically has been completely life changing and I am heart sore at the thought of them having bother now because of their extremely poor choices early on. 

Even had they seen this, they wouldn't have behaved differently...I guess some people will always push the envelope. 

I used to think that Intelligence and wisdom were the same thing, I have always been intelligent and wise for my years ( or so I have been told)

But it wasn't until I gained the years of experience that I began to see and feel that wisdom was vastly different than intelligence.

I say the above because if I had had the surgery in my younger years before the collections of my life experiences had brought me to a point of truly needing to have the surgery, not because I was obese, that's just the symptom, but because I have an addiction to eating.  Then I believe I too would have failed with losing and maintaining.

And I can say without the wisdom I have gained through life's journey I would not have been ready to capitalize on the gift this surgery is and to make the tough choices to follow the plan and to give myself a fighting chance at this time being the last time I am morbidly obese.

This is what I needed to hear.  I'm 11 and a half months post op.  I've still got probably 3 to 6 months of honeymoon left and I agree with you about the moderation.   I get on here to get my motivation renewed and tonight it did, so thank YOU. 

I am glad I have read this but in a way I feel like after all this hard work no matter how hard we try we are still going to lose the battle. We only have the honeymoon period to lose weight and after that we are going to gain weight back and the rest of our life is one big battle. I am sorry for being a downer but this made me sad. 

Before I had surgery i had made up my mind that this is for life, to get healthy but some of this isn't healthy when we don't eat fruits and vegetables only protein. I am new to this way of thinking, I only have 8 months left if the honeymoon is 12 months long to lose 55 more lbs and my WLS has already slowed to 1 _2 lbs. A week now xo I am not going to make it to goal that is. I only get in 40_50 grams of protein a day and that is a struggle because of nausea and vomiting plus a lot of days I have to push myself just to eat. I am fine with drinking just get tired of water everyday. Please forgive me for being negative 

6 hours ago, Minfit said:

I am glad I have read this but in a way I feel like after all this hard work no matter how hard we try we are still going to lose the battle. We only have the honeymoon period to lose weight and after that we are going to gain weight back and the rest of our life is one big battle. I am sorry for being a downer but this made me sad. 

Before I had surgery i had made up my mind that this is for life, to get healthy but some of this isn't healthy when we don't eat fruits and vegetables only protein. I am new to this way of thinking, I only have 8 months left if the honeymoon is 12 months long to lose 55 more lbs and my WLS has already slowed to 1 _2 lbs. A week now xo I am not going to make it to goal that is. I only get in 40_50 grams of protein a day and that is a struggle because of nausea and vomiting plus a lot of days I have to push myself just to eat. I am fine with drinking just get tired of water everyday. Please forgive me for being negative 

Just because the honeymoon may be over doesn't mean you will gain your weight back. This surgery is for life, you will still have the tool along with the ability to continue to lose weight and maintain your honeymoon losses. The honeymoon period is really just the time when weightloss will be rapid. As long as you change the bad habits that allowed you to become obese in the first place there is no reason why you will go back to your your pre-surgery weight. Of course if you continue the bad eating habits that led to your obesity in the first place then it is highly likely you'll regain at least some of the weight you lost. Even if that does happen you'll still have the tool to help you get back on track, you'll just have to be more patient with the weightloss after the honeymoon period is over.

9 hours ago, Minfit said:

Even with 1-2lbs a week to lose you have plenty of time to lose 55 more within the first year but the honeymoon period can be longer than a year.  You can lose even after the honeymoon is over it just doesn't come off as fast or easy. Stick to your plan. Eat your protein first and then veggies and fruit.  And you can add flavor to your water like Mio drops or crystal light or slices of lime or cucumber.   Develop the habits you will stick to for life.  If you do that you'll be fine!!

Hi I'm only 4 months into my surgery and I'm wondering if I could get someone to post a list of foods because I'm frankly getting sick of the ones I'm eating up to now 

I think by 4 months out I was cleared to eat anything I could tolerate.  The plan I was given encouraged 2 to 3 oz of protein first, then whatever veggies I had room for.  Chicken breast and scrambled eggs were the only proteins I didn't tolerate at this point (at least of those I tried).  Chicken thigh meat was OK; breast was too dry, though is OK now.  I was cleared for raw veggies at either 8 or 12 weeks (don't remember now) so you could possibly try salads if tolerating them OK.  Tuna or chicken salad works great, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, deli meats. Denser proteins have to be chewed really well but are generally tolerated.  I think at this point a favorite meal was deli meat wrapped around a cheese stick or a dill pickle spear.  Or a grilled chicken thigh with a few steamed veggies.  Spiralized zucchini sautéed with a few shrimp and some parm.  During active weight loss I avoided pasta, bread, potatoes, rice and other simple carbs.  I have allowed a few back in now but not much because it tends to trigger carb craving.

I know from another forum you don't have a dietician because your surgery was in Mexico, but I'm wondering if you might be able to get a local consult with a dietician to help you get on track.  It might be worth a couple of visits just to get some questions answered.