• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
sweetpinkbebe

Stomach Hurts After Drinking Water After Gastric Bypass

12 posts in this topic

Hi friends, everytime I drink plain water I feel sick and sometimes get a little stomach ache afterwards. I was wondering if anybody else has the same problem and if so does it eventually go away? I also get very sleepy after I eat and then it goes away, any ideas. I am 21 daost post op. Thanks!

Hi friends, everytime I drink plain water I feel sick and sometimes get a little stomach ache afterwards. I was wondering if anybody else has the same problem and if so does it eventually go away? I also get very sleepy after I eat and then it goes away, any ideas. I am 21 daost post op. Thanks!

Are you drinking really slow...sip sip sip???? mine felt like that fow a few weeks after and even now if i drink to fast it hurts... I also got sleepy after i ate and that didn't last long either.....

Hi, there are a boat load of discussions on plain water and how it hurts post op, here on TT. I'm almost 4 years post op and it still feels icky to drink plain water... but change it up a bit and it's good. Lemon, crystal light, mio, iced tea, decaf coffee.. anything to change it up. I suspect it's the PH but I haven't a clue why so many of us report feeling pain or nausea when we drink it plain. I suspect for some of us it never goes away and for some it's fine. I carry mio with me everywhere- though someone (MandaJo?) posted info on something similar that is cheaper.. if you did an advanced search on mandajo and water you might find that post.

As for the sleepy, I only get that if I'm eating too many carbs. I call it the carb coma. If you're 21 days out, I'd assume you're focusing on protein though. Might just be your body's way of handling the stress of surgery.

I personally love water, It's all I drink other than my protein drink.

I know in the mornings that I feel bad when I drink the water. I take sips in the mornings, it gets better let's say.... 30 minutes later.

TO go along with the water in the mornings I get gagging fits is I drink too much. it sucks big time.

Is it at a certain time of day or, all throughout?

I haven't cared for plain water since surgery but the bigger issue is that even at 4 years out, I still can't drink anything colder than room temperature.

Try something like hot tea - Celestial Seasonings have a great selection.

I can't drink plain water unless it's purified. No idea why. I carry crystal light singles. Have mio at my office. Sugar free koolaid at home. Found sugar free apple cider for a warm drink as well as caffeine free tea. I don't know if it will change. I'm hoping someday it does. But either way, there are solutions and you're not alone.

I can't drink room temp water - it makes my stomach sway - to drink water it has to be cold. But I drink room temp Mio and Crystal Light all day long....go figure!

I have a questions for you. Are you drinking from a cup or using a straw? Avoid straws, they will cause gas and gas on top of the gas most get post-op is not fun and can be very uncomfortable. I hope drinking water gets easier for you.

me too i can't drink icy water and i don't like room temperture water

Early out, I could not drink plain water - it wasn't happening. It tasted gross and it didn't go down right. Now, aside from my protein shakes and decaf coffee, plain water is all I drink. I used to use those sugar free flavor packets and added those to my water when I couldn't drink it plain but I felt somehow that it was slowing my loss and that the artifical sweetners in it wasn't good for me. Now, I only have an occasional glass of water where I add a sugar free lemonade packet to it.

Every morning, drink a cup of hot tea. Sometimes, I drink it all day.Water is not always friendly to my stomach either. No matter what temp it is. I get sleepy to after I eat. I hate that feeling. Thought it was just me. I usually get up and go for a walk or do something around the house. I hope it gets better for you soon.

me too i can't drink icy water and i don't like room temperture water

It took me almost 4 months before I could really drink water. To help I used clean frozen strawberries. It added just a hint of flavor and helped make the icky plain water feeling go away. Just a thought... But be careful...you need to drink! I ended up hospitalized twice for dehydration...not fun! It gets better! Promise!