• Hospital:Sparrow Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:259
  • Current Weight:202
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:9/26/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

I had GBS surgery on September 26, 2011. My highest weight before surgery was 255. During the 4 week liquid pre-op diet I lost 17 pounds. Since surgery 7 weeks ago, I have only lost 16 pounds. I am now stuck at 222 pounds. I walk at least 3 times a day at a pretty quick pace and have gone to the gym a few times as a guest (need to sign up for my own membership and go on a regular basis). I try to get all of my protien and water in every day but it doesn't always happen. I'm not sure what else I should be doing? I'm discouraged that I'm not losing weight. Two of my other friends that had GBS at the same time I did are also not losing weight. I read on this site every day about people dropping 20-25 pounds or more in the first few weeks/month. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Thank You!
I'd rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special!

#2 Dr. Callery

Dr. Callery

Bariatric Surgeon

• Administrators
  • 631 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:06 AM

I had GBS surgery on September 26, 2011. My highest weight before surgery was 255. During the 4 week liquid pre-op diet I lost 17 pounds. Since surgery 7 weeks ago, I have only lost 16 pounds. I am now stuck at 222 pounds. I walk at least 3 times a day at a pretty quick pace and have gone to the gym a few times as a guest (need to sign up for my own membership and go on a regular basis). I try to get all of my protien and water in every day but it doesn't always happen. I'm not sure what else I should be doing? I'm discouraged that I'm not losing weight. Two of my other friends that had GBS at the same time I did are also not losing weight. I read on this site every day about people dropping 20-25 pounds or more in the first few weeks/month. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Thank You!

Dear Kimberli,

You lost 17 pounds before surgery. And you've lost 16 pounds since. That's a total of 33 pounds in about 6 weeks. Not bad! Much of that initial weight loss was water weight because your liquid diet was much lower in total sodium than your normal diet. Now your body has reequilibrated (the water and sodium levels have readjusted). You'll start losing again. Wait 6 more weeks before you become too worried.

We see a great deal of variation in the amount of weight lost in the first 6 months. It varies from 15 - 75 percent of a patient's excess weight. The amount of weight lost depends on many factors. These factors include initial weight, amount of initial water weight, level of activity, nature (calorie content) of the diet, elimination of snacking and comfort feeding habits, and to a certain extent (but not much) the exact configuration and size of the pouch and the gastrojejunostomy. If after 3 months you are not continuing to lose weight, carefully check your calorie intake and find out where you are getting your excessive calories. As long as you are losing about 1 - 2 pounds a week on a consistent basis you are doing all right. You're not in a race, you want gradual and healthy long term weight loss. Always remember that your procedure is a tool, and you are the solution.

Thanks for posting your concern. You are definitely not alone in wondering what's going on in the early weeks after surgery.

Dr. Callery
Join our Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/thinnertimes
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/drcallery
Subscribe to our newsletter: http://eepurl.com/vBLUX

This advice is not a substitute for a consultation with your doctor, nutritionist, or other healthcare professional.
As always, if you have a problem or health-related complication (or emergency), please contact the proper authorities immediately.

#3 monisincali

monisincali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationPalm Springs, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Yadegar
  • Hospital:Palmdale Regional Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:344
  • Current Weight:205
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:06/27/2011

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

Good info Dr. Callery
Posted Image

#4 Mommy Dearest

Mommy Dearest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOC, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Eric Pham
  • Hospital:St Joseph's Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):4-11
  • Start Weight:262
  • Current Weight:130
  • Goal Weight:123
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):53
  • Surgery Date:09/22/2011

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

I am 8 weeks post op and have lost 35.5lbs. Even though I wish it were faster like everyone else. But, it gives my body time to adjust. So, like you we are about the same. So, I think WE are right on track and right where WE are supposed to be. Good job girl :D
Jan
Posted ImagePosted Image