• Height (ft-in):6-04
  • Start Weight:469
  • Current Weight:394
  • Goal Weight:265
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):48.8
  • Surgery Date:02/00/2012
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

I have done all my dr has asked, lose 10% body weight, get shots, etc. Now just awaiting physc test next Tue, then EKG, then a surgery date, going through Kaiser Fremont CA

What should I expect in physc test, anyone have an issue, or is this just a chit chat session to make sure why I'm electing surgery.

thanks for any input

Posted Image

#2 JanPuppyLover

JanPuppyLover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Michael Schweitzer
  • Hospital:Johns Hopkins-- Bayview
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:288
  • Current Weight:168
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):33
  • Surgery Date:09/27/11

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

I didn't view the psych consultation as a test, but more of an evaluation to make sure that I understood the surgery. They also want to make sure that you understand the major changes that will be taking place in your life vis a vis eating and what it might mean to be a average weighted person. They also wanted to make sure that I was not depressed or suicidal as these two things might get worse with the dramatic life changes that take place post op. She also asked me about my support network post op and whether I would have the emotional and physical support I would need post op.

My sense was that they wanted to assure the best outcome and not that she was judging or grading me in any way.

I hope that this helps...and good luck!!

#3 BugdocMom

BugdocMom

TT Master

• Community Mentor
  • 6,065 posts
  • LocationMenifee, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Coon
  • Hospital:Parkview, Riverside, CA
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:238
  • Current Weight:123
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.1
  • Surgery Date:5/31/2011

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Some psychologists will give an actual official personality test ( I can't remember what it's called, it's rather common). But mine did not. He actually just made two appointments for chatting. He was basically looking to make sure I didn't have a major eating disorder that would defeat my surgery, that I was mentally stable enough to handle the surgery, and that I didn't have ridiculous expectations--like being skinny would make me smarter and more successful and save my marriage kind of thing. My assessment was no pressure at all.

#4 JanPuppyLover

JanPuppyLover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Michael Schweitzer
  • Hospital:Johns Hopkins-- Bayview
  • Start Weight:288
  • Current Weight:168
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):33
  • Surgery Date:09/27/11

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Oh yes-- my psyche slipped in a few personality tests also, forgot about that. But honestly, they aren't looking to "flunk" you but to make sure that you are stable and prepared for what lies ahead.

Good luck!

#5 jst81

jst81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Hahn
  • Hospital:Kaiser Fremont

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

thanks for all the responses,

Posted Image

#6 San

San

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Surgeon:Dr. Lee Schmitt
  • Hospital:St. Vincents East, Birmingham AL
  • Height (ft-in):4-09
  • Start Weight:208
  • Current Weight:94
  • Goal Weight:100
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20
  • Surgery Date:10/19/2011

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hi from alabama. I took nearly 4 hours of test then talked to the doc for about an hour. All went well though. Like said above they just want to make sure you stable and understand the changes that will appen after WLS.

~ ¥ San ¥ ~

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” Maria Robinson

weight.png

#7 RumpusParable

RumpusParable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Surgeon:Dr. Rodriguez
  • Hospital:Scott & White, Temple, TX
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:311
  • Current Weight:142
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25.5
  • Surgery Date:01/16/2012

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

I have done all my dr has asked, lose 10% body weight, get shots, etc. Now just awaiting physc test next Tue, then EKG, then a surgery date, going through Kaiser Fremont CA

What should I expect in physc test, anyone have an issue, or is this just a chit chat session to make sure why I'm electing surgery.

thanks for any input

I had two because the first one's results were so bad that, even though the doc said I could get the surgery, the hospital refused me -and the lady on the phone who told me was sounding afraid of me... I didn't understand why until I picked up the psych report. It was horrible and scary and made me sound like a violent sociopath. I'm not exaggerating there at all, it really sounded like that.

What did they do at the appointment? Talked to me for a bit, not at all about the surgery. Then they gave me a very poorly done IQ test. Then they had me do a personality disorder test on the computer. I was then made another appointment to come back for results and final meet with the psychiatrist.

The doc vaguely went over the tests (nothing at all like or implying what he sent to the hospital about me) and again did not talk to me at all about the surgery until I asked him if he was passing me or not. To which he answered, "I'm not saying no, but that doesn't mean they might not find some reason to deny you".

Then they got the psych report and denied me.

I was referred to another hospital off-post (the first was on the Army post we live near) and I had to start things all over. Instead of using that psych report I paid out of pocket to get evaluated again. This time she took a fairly detailed psychiatric, medical and family background from me. She then had me do the personality disorder test on paper. The hospital got the eval and approved me. She also really didn't get at all into the surgery with me.

weight.png
Scale Stomper #104!
Start/Surg/Now-at-Goal 311/294/142/approximately 132-137 without excess skin counted.

#8 martha101452

martha101452

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDelhi, La
  • Surgeon:Walter Sartor, M.D.
  • Hospital:St. Francis Medical Center
  • Start Weight:225
  • Current Weight:113
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.6
  • Surgery Date:03/08/2011

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

I was scared to death of my psy evaluation. I have bipolar and had read a lot of surgeon's will not do surgery because of this. I had my psy write me a letter of recommendation. I was evaluated for about an hour an had not trouble. When I was through I asked him if he cleared me for surgery and of course he said yes.

#9 soup

soup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:266
  • Current Weight:157
  • Goal Weight:158
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.9
  • Surgery Date:10/19/2011

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

In my program the psych evaluation was a one hour 1 on 1 conversation with the LCSW. I'm not sure how they handle it if something comes up that necessitates further testing, luckily I didn't have that issue.
266 last weigh in before surgery.
Goal weight before 6 month anniversary.

Follow the rules and follow your programs!

#10 jst81

jst81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Hahn
  • Hospital:Kaiser Fremont

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

thanks again, did eval yesterday, cleared by dept, was a 1-1 just making sure I undertand what changes need to take place, chewing 30 times, sipping water, excerise, avoid high sugary food etc, was simple anquick like 35 min

Posted Image

#11 Kevin73

Kevin73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Surgeon:Dr. Helmuth Billy
  • Hospital:St. John's
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:268
  • Current Weight:209
  • Goal Weight:168
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):30.0
  • Surgery Date:07/02/12

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

I have my first consultation, with a nurse, next week, and a psych evaluation soon to follow. i have bipolar, and am scared of being denied.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wU2aq3H/]
Posted Image
[/url]

#12 Palimpsest

Palimpsest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Hospital:Hartford Hospital
  • Start Weight:277
  • Current Weight:274
  • Goal Weight:173
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):40
  • Surgery Date:10/2012

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

I have my first consultation, with a nurse, next week, and a psych evaluation soon to follow. i have bipolar, and am scared of being denied.

At the hospital where I'm going to be having my surgery, it's extremely rare for anyone to be denied for psychiatric conditions. It's people who have untreated issues or who are not treatment-compliant who have problems. If you regularly see your therapist and psychiatrist and aren't prone to manic periods where you stop taking your medications, you should hopefully be okay. But you're certainly going to need to assure them that you have a strong network in place for support after surgery.

Posted Image

#13 Kevin73

Kevin73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

Posted Image
[/url]

#14 cholethomas

cholethomas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Surgeon:Dr Khalili
  • Hospital:Cedars
  • Start Weight:253
  • Current Weight:136
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28
  • Surgery Date:06/11/2012

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

I go next week for my eval, I am hoping they don't cancel because they have done this twice now. Seeing her has been the major hold up, I work full time and the clinic I go to is almost 2 hours away. So I book all my appts for the same day so I don't have to take all kinds of time off of work. I am very lucky my boss has had bypass surgery 3 years ago and is very supportive and understands when I need time off. Glad your appt went well :)
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

#15 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 25,567 posts
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I was nervous but I had a good psyc. visit.

She made me feel comfortable, talked about my weight history, what dieting attempts I'd made over the years etc. etc. Her goal was to make sure I had handle on the WLS was all about, what steps I'd taken to prepare myself for the road ahead and that I had realistic expectations about the process.

She also had me counting backwards in 7's from 100. I wasn't sure what that was all about but subsequently found out it's called "Serial 7's". It's clinical test used to test mental function to check concentration and memory but they sometimes use 3's and or reciting the months of the year in reverse order, or spelling 'world' backwards too.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#16 mcaban

mcaban

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVictorville, CA
  • Surgeon:phillip chin
  • Hospital:Kaiser
  • Height (ft-in):5-01
  • Start Weight:230
  • Current Weight:221
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:unknown

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

I had my psyc evaluation down in fontana CA with kaiser and it wasnt anything you should worry about. it was more like a friendly conversation about the reason why you are having the surgery and your support system. They are just trying to make sure you are mentally ready for the surgery...there was no test and mine only lasted like 15 min if that.

#17 kimbernada

kimbernada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Surgeon:Dr. Timothy Monson
  • Hospital:Sanford Fargo
  • Start Weight:338
  • Current Weight:190
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31.6
  • Surgery Date:07/24/2012
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

She also had me counting backwards in 7's from 100. I wasn't sure what that was all about but subsequently found out it's called "Serial 7's". It's clinical test used to test mental function to check concentration and memory but they sometimes use 3's and or reciting the months of the year in reverse order, or spelling 'world' backwards too.

Holy crap... I better start practicing! :eek: I have my psych eval this coming Monday.

After seeing the wide variety of people who showed up for the informational seminar, I can see WHY they would want to do the psych eval. When told that you need to stop smoking as soon as possible (at least three months before your surgery) and explaining why, one gal said, "But how soon afterwards can we start up again." The woman speaking looked at her and said "Never." Granted, I'm not a smoker, so I don't understand that addiction.
Fortune cookie from 3/2/12: "You will come to realizations in your life that change you forever."

Posted Image

#18 Kevin73

Kevin73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

When told that you need to stop smoking as soon as possible (at least three months before your surgery) and explaining why, one gal said, "But how soon afterwards can we start up again."

thanks for the chuckle :)
Posted Image
[/url]

#19 Kevin73

Kevin73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

My psych evaluation is May 31st, along with any other appointments. I'm actually less anxious about that now, than I am the sleep test.
Posted Image
[/url]

#20 kimbernada

kimbernada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Surgeon:Dr. Timothy Monson
  • Hospital:Sanford Fargo
  • Start Weight:338
  • Current Weight:190
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31.6
  • Surgery Date:07/24/2012
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

My psych evaluation is May 31st, along with any other appointments. I'm actually less anxious about that now, than I am the sleep test.

Nah... don't fret about that test. It's weird, but it's doable. Bring a book and a pair of slippers and you'll be good. (Some people bring their own pillow too.)When I had my sleep study done about six years ago, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The room I was in was set up to look like a bedroom. I even had a TV to watch. The gal taped me up with all sorts of things and then pretty much left me so that I could read, etc. until I fell asleep. At some point in the night, she woke me up and had me put a mask on. I am one to suffer from claustrophobia so.. well.. that part did bother me some. BUT the really weird thing is that I started having vivid dreams THAT night. It's like I was dream-deprived or something. I mean, the study wasn't all roses, but I love my CPAP machine so much. It took me a few nights at home until I slept through the full night and then my mind just accepted how WONDERFUL it was to sleep. I've only slept without my mask on maybe three or four nights in the last six years - and that was only because of a sinus infection.

Oh, and bring a baseball hat to wear home the next day. The place where I had my study done did not have showering facilities... so I had to go home with that glue stuff stuck on my head. :) So, if you CAN, just try to pretend that this is a night away from home to relax and read. Although I really didn't have to pretend because at least I was away from our dogs. LOL (It's always a treat to sleep somewhere away from them.)
Fortune cookie from 3/2/12: "You will come to realizations in your life that change you forever."

Posted Image