• Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:370
  • Current Weight:246
  • Goal Weight:229
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):37
  • Surgery Date:10/31/2011
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hello! I am 2 days into my 2 week pre-op food program. My surgeon prescribed low cal, high protein, pre-packaged food products the center he works out of sells. The food is mostly ok; some doesn't taste the greatest, but I can handle it. My biggest problem is that I miss dairy and coffee. He recommended no dairy or caffeine at all during this 2 week period before my surgery. Does anyone have an answer as to why? It seems to me like fat free dairy in limited portions would be great since it is high in protein. Any advice would be appreciated; thanks!

#2 Jo_annem

Jo_annem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Erik Simchuk
  • Hospital:Enloe Hospital, Chico
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:279
  • Current Weight:155
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25.7
  • Surgery Date:01/03/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

Well I know why the caffeine - it is horribly bad for your body! You will not be allowed to have ANY caffeine after your surgery, so the pre-op allows you to withdraw before going into the operating room. As for dairy, aside from it usually being high in calories I am not sure why you can't have it. I know the main purporse of pre-op diets is to shrink the liver so your chance of complications will be smaller, and there is sugar in milk.

Please correct me, anyone, if I am wrong about this.
Highest/Start /Date of Surgery/Current/Goal
--324-----279--------255----------------155----150 minus 124# !!
Scale Stomper #9

Posted Image<

25 BMI, no longer even overweight, what a wonderful feeling

#3 krunkk

krunkk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationClovis, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kelvin Higa
  • Hospital:Fresno Heart and Surgical Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:324
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.4
  • Surgery Date:01/11/2012

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

Dairy, most people become lactose intolerant. If you werent before the surgery, you have a 30% chance to become lactose intolerant after surgery (I was told this by my nutritionist)
If you were lactose intolerant before, it will be most likely worse than before with dairy products.

(The bloating, gas, diarrhea etc will make you hate yourself if you indulge in the dairy, from what I hear)

Caffeine causes ulcers and it also causes dehydration. Caffeine will give you the same feeling as dumping syndrome (fatigue, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, aweful feeling) and you'd basically need to lie down

I haven't had surgery but thats the information I know from others and my bariatric team.

-Quin

Highest Weight - 324 lbs Surgery Weight - 303 lbs Current Weight - 155 lbs Goal Weight- 170 lbs

weight.png

My Weight Chart:

wVzk8vR.png
>

#4 Psparrow

Psparrow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFt. Stewart, GA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Oliver Whipple
  • Hospital:Memorial
  • Height (ft-in):5-01
  • Start Weight:269
  • Current Weight:168
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:05/09/2011

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

Im not sure why they would tell you no dairy products. As long as theyre low in fat, I see no problem with using them for protein and calories! In fact, my nutritionist wants me to drink 8 oz of milk a day. Ive never had any issues with dairy!
Qman, im not sure where you got the information about caffeine but im not sure that its entirely true. Ive had caffeine since my surgery (ill drink unsweetened tea if we go out to dinner) and ive never had those feelings or been warned about it from that perspective. maybe some others can chime in on this....

#5 Corrigan

Corrigan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationCalico Junction, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Burch
  • Hospital:Cedars Sinai
  • Height (ft-in):6-01
  • Start Weight:300
  • Current Weight:251
  • Goal Weight:200
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31
  • Surgery Date:09-12-2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

I talked to my surgeon about this, because I'm not able to get started in the morning with out coffee. He said that coffee is a diuretic and causes water loss
but 6oz or so probably won't do any harm. Non dairy creamer is usually made from palm oil and other saturated fats and of course they're
bad, but again in the quantities a cup of coffee takes, i don't think it would do much harm.

Posted Image

#6 krunkk

krunkk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationClovis, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kelvin Higa
  • Hospital:Fresno Heart and Surgical Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:324
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.4
  • Surgery Date:01/11/2012

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

Overview
Ulcers form in the digestive tract, which includes your esophagus, stomach and duodenum. Although caffeine cannot cause an ulcer, it can cause an increase in stomach acid production, resulting in ulcer pain. Avoid foods and beverages containing caffeine to decrease stomach acid production. This may even help your ulcer to heal more quickly.
Causes
The digestive tract contains a layer of mucus that protects it from the digestive juices hydrochloric acid and pepsin. When this mucus layer weakens, the digestive juices irritate the lining of the digestive tract, causing sores, otherwise known as ulcers. Most ulcers develop from an infection caused by Helicobacter pylori, or H. pylori. Anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen sodium can also weaken the protective mucus layer and expose the stomach lining to harmful digestive juices.
Anti-Heartburn Foods We List 13 Foods That Help Fight Heartburn. Save Your Stomach Now! www.health.com
Sponsored Links
Caffeine
Products that contain caffeine can increase stomach acid production and aggravate your ulcer. Avoid beverages with caffeine, including coffee, tea, cocoa and colas. In addition, avoid chocolate, which also contains caffeine. Medications such as pain relievers, diuretics, cold remedies and weight control aids can also contain caffeine. Talk to your doctor about any prescription drugs you are taking if you think they contain caffeine. Read ingredient labels carefully when purchasing over-the-counter medications.

Read more: http://www.livestron.../#ixzz1bAqGTlRy

Seems I mis-understood what I was told about it CAUSING ulcers, apparently it causes more acid in the stomach. Glad someone pointed that out.

-Quin

Highest Weight - 324 lbs Surgery Weight - 303 lbs Current Weight - 155 lbs Goal Weight- 170 lbs

weight.png

My Weight Chart:

wVzk8vR.png
>

#7 Aartemys

Aartemys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationConcord, NH
  • Surgeon:Connie Campbell
  • Hospital:Catholic Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:278
  • Current Weight:152
  • Goal Weight:141
  • Surgery Date:10/25/2011

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

I talked to my surgeon about this, because I'm not able to get started in the morning with out coffee. He said that coffee is a diuretic and causes water loss

My NUT told me the same...but then again, I was also told I could have caffeinated tea & coffee up until the day before surgery.

I tried to cut back on my own -- you know, to lessen the blow of post-op abstinence...but that lasted an entire half day... :(

Every surgeon & program has their way of doing things. If you are extremely curious, you can always ask them their reasoning behind it.

Highest Weight 286
Weight At First Pre-Op Appointment 278
Date Of Service 244
Current Weight 152
Goal 141

Posted Image

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

#8 bigdan24

bigdan24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationLumberton,NC
  • Surgeon:Leo Davidson
  • Hospital:Cape Fear Valley
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:347
  • Current Weight:172
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28.0
  • Surgery Date:10/04/11

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

my doc lets me have coffee.

Posted Image

#9 NewMeNow2010

NewMeNow2010

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Needleman
  • Start Weight:350
  • Current Weight:214
  • Goal Weight:185
  • Surgery Date:07/11/2011

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

Im not sure why they would tell you no dairy products. As long as theyre low in fat, I see no problem with using them for protein and calories! In fact, my nutritionist wants me to drink 8 oz of milk a day. Ive never had any issues with dairy!
Qman, im not sure where you got the information about caffeine but im not sure that its entirely true. Ive had caffeine since my surgery (ill drink unsweetened tea if we go out to dinner) and ive never had those feelings or been warned about it from that perspective. maybe some others can chime in on this....

I agree with a lot of this post. I had dairy up until surgery and still do post-op. I lived off of Greek yogurt the two weeks before surgery! Perhaps your surgeon has a specific reason that we just don't know about, that is my only guess. I have problems post-op with just drinking milk but no problem with it in decaf coffee, no problem with cheese and no problem with other dairy products. But it is true, -after- you could become lactose intolerant unfortunately. But I'm not sure what that has to do with pre-op.

I think caffeine is evil to be honest, LOL..I am someone who had 3 ulcers PRE-OP because of caffeine and such. I do, however, know a lot of people who have been told they can go back to drinking caffeine in limited amounts..like a cup of coffee or iced tea. I will also say that on a rare occasion, I will have an unsweetened iced tea when I am out but usually, I avoid all caffeine. When I did have the iced tea, I was perfectly fine although I have heard it can metabolize quicker and thus cause us a lot of problems (racing heart beat, sick stomach, loose bowels, etc). I think it just depends on each person individually. I'd say like -most- things. moderation is key, like you basically said psparrow :)
Heather

Start/DOS/Current/Goal
350/338/238/180

Posted Image

#10 Nana60

Nana60

Really really old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts
  • LocationBonita, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Rumsey
  • Hospital:Pacific Bariatric
  • Start Weight:229
  • Current Weight:138
  • Goal Weight:139
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.6
  • Surgery Date:08/23/2011

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

I went caffeine free for the first week or so. Then I went back to two cups of tea every morning and have had no problems. I never had ulcers or even close to any kind of problems. It was harder to give up tea then when I quit smoking two packs of cigarettes after twenty years. So yes, I still drink full caffeine tea every morning. You can have my tea when you rip the cup out of my cold dead hand.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFVxgPG/]
Posted Image
[/url]

#11 AngelaGrace

AngelaGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Surgeon:Dr. Christopher Kaczmarski
  • Hospital:Phoenixville Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:256
  • Current Weight:168
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28
  • Surgery Date:01/11/12

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

You can have my tea when you rip the cup out of my cold dead hand.

LOL! :)
Angela Grace

Posted Image

#12 Xeniak

Xeniak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • LocationDenmark
  • Surgeon:Dr Omar
  • Hospital:Aalborg Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:390
  • Current Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:11/02/2010

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

Hello! I am 2 days into my 2 week pre-op food program. My surgeon prescribed low cal, high protein, pre-packaged food products the center he works out of sells. The food is mostly ok; some doesn't taste the greatest, but I can handle it. My biggest problem is that I miss dairy and coffee. He recommended no dairy or caffeine at all during this 2 week period before my surgery. Does anyone have an answer as to why? It seems to me like fat free dairy in limited portions would be great since it is high in protein. Any advice would be appreciated; thanks!

wow this just goes to show how different our plans are!! I was asked to take tons and tons of dairy on a daily basis - at every meal! plus i'm not a coffee drinker and my NUT insisted i should try to drink more coffee because is one of the best drinks i can have..... both before and after surgery and when i say before i mean up to the day before and after i mean the day after surgery :P

See pictures @ goal- lost 107 kilos / 240 lbs/ after my pregnancy i gained 20lbs but I got my biggest goal, my biggest dream, my baby girl - see pictures here

#13 swizzly

swizzly

non sequiturial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:110
  • Current Weight:68
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24
  • Surgery Date:02/24/2011
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:59 AM

I have a VSG as well, and didn't have a pre-op diet at all, just was told to keep doing what I had been doing already and not make any big changes (no starving, no pigging out for 'last suppers'). I was already served coffee in hospital day three post-op, and it's completely allowed by my plan. Dairy is STRONGLY encouraged and I've not had any post-op lactose intolerance issues, though I don't drink milk anyhow.

I'm all suspicious of someone who "prescribes" something s/he also makes direct money from -- ie, the packaged meals. I don't think ANY packaged foods can be as good as fresh stuff, but I am not a doctor or a NUT. B)

Dee --
VSG, 24 Feb 2011

168cm / 5'6"

110/240~68/150
Start~Current 
(kg/lb)

What other people think of me is none of my business.

#14 LukeAug9

LukeAug9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Daniel Fang
  • Hospital:St. Luke's Medical Center - Phoenix
  • Height (ft-in):6-02
  • Start Weight:391
  • Current Weight:228
  • Goal Weight:195
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):29
  • Surgery Date:05/26/2011

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:31 AM

I was told that some, if not many, people do become lactose intolerant but I was never told not eliminate from my diet. On the contrary dairy products have been high recommended for me from both my surgeon and my nutritionist as great sources of nutrients like protein and calcium. Greek yogurt and fat free cottage cheese are regular items in my diet.

Additionally I was never told to eliminate caffeine from my diet, but unlike dairy I was told to limit by caffeine intake. As it is a diuretic and can cause dehydration, I was told not to count thinks like coffee as a liquid and in fact to drink one extra glass of water for every glass of coffee/tea etc that you drink (if you drink one cup of coffee in the morning, you need 9 glasses of water instead of 8)

Two things to realize about your doctors orders is that his instructions maybe specific to you based on your medical history. Also, if not specific to you, they maybe specific to all his patients, but different than what other doctors tell their patients.

I work for a bariatrics dept. at a local hospital. The hospital I work for has 2 locations in the Phoenix Metro area with 2 surgeons at each location. Each surgeon has some very different policies for their patients, especially when it comes to their diet. Two of the doctors will allow 1 protein bar/day during the pre-surgery liquid diet for patients who get headaches in that phase, where the other two strictly prohibit it...

You might want to get more specific information from your surgeon and also talk to your nutritionist about it.
[email protected]
www.LucasWithTheWeightOff.com

Gastric Bypass Surgery 5/26/2011
Start/DOS/Current/Goal
391/382/261/190

#15 Aartemys

Aartemys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationConcord, NH
  • Surgeon:Connie Campbell
  • Hospital:Catholic Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:278
  • Current Weight:152
  • Goal Weight:141
  • Surgery Date:10/25/2011

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:31 AM

I'm all suspicious of someone who "prescribes" something s/he also makes direct money from -- ie, the packaged meals.

That is the same thought that crossed my mind...of course they are going to have you eat their stuff, they're getting $$$!

Highest Weight 286
Weight At First Pre-Op Appointment 278
Date Of Service 244
Current Weight 152
Goal 141

Posted Image

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

#16 Xeniak

Xeniak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • LocationDenmark
  • Surgeon:Dr Omar
  • Hospital:Aalborg Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:390
  • Current Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:11/02/2010

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:25 AM

I'm all suspicious of someone who "prescribes" something s/he also makes direct money from -- ie, the packaged meals. I don't think ANY packaged foods can be as good as fresh stuff, but I am not a doctor or a NUT. B)

OMG that is horrible - should be illegal!

See pictures @ goal- lost 107 kilos / 240 lbs/ after my pregnancy i gained 20lbs but I got my biggest goal, my biggest dream, my baby girl - see pictures here

#17 kimberlyatlga

kimberlyatlga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationBowling Green, Kentucky
  • Surgeon:Ronald Clements, M.D.
  • Hospital:Vanderbilt Medical Center
  • Start Weight:311
  • Current Weight:172
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:11/01/2011

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:58 AM

I had amy pre-op yesterday. Yes, it is amazing how different plans are. I will only have to have liquids the day before my surgery. No NSAIDS starting yesterday. Nothing about caffeine at all was considered in conversation.
Kimberly

On the loser's bench!

#18 blank

blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:50 AM

I find it strange how many people recommend decaf coffee. I know that chemicals are added to coffee while it is being roasted to remove caffeine. The process and the things it involves are probably more damaging than a little caffeine.

I am not drinking much coffee yet, but I do often drink iced tea.

Just my two cents