Photo
- - - - -

Rny, 6 Months +: Do You Actually 'diet'?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rock

Rock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Current Weight:275
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):41
  • Surgery Date:09/12/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

I was wondering, for those who have undergone RNY, and are over 6 months post-op, do you actually diet, or did you return to your old eating habits, but relied on the fact that your meals are much smaller and less well absorbed to lose your weight?

Rock

#2 Tress

Tress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Caruana
  • Hospital:Sisters Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:376
  • Current Weight:199
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:02/23/2011

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

7 months post op, and I still weigh and measure everything and don't eat junk, it's not a diet, it's just the way you eat now, you think of it as a diet and you're not going to be as successful. I don't know if I dump, I assume I do so don't eat sugar or a lot of fat. I tell people "I can't eat that." constantly. You just have to accept that you're changing the way you eat for the rest of your life.
Posted Image

#3 Erika

Erika

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:256
  • Current Weight:126
  • Goal Weight:136
  • Surgery Date:09/07/2010

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

I am a bit over a year out and my daily intake is still very different from what it was prior to surgery. I have become a bit less restrictive as time has gone on and some junky foods have entered my life, but I am more aware of them now. So, instead of eating 3oz of chips in a sitting, I may take 1/4- 1/2 an oz of chips to eat with my lunch and making sure that the healthy stuff comes first. Or, occasionally I will eat pizza or a burger but even then, I am hyper aware of the nutrition and the fact that I should not follow up pizza with chicken wings and ice cream and everything else that is junky and delicious.... that if I am going to eat a little bit of junk then it needs to be just a touch of it and the rest of my day needs to be healthy and balanced.

I can't depend just on the smaller pouch size to keep me out of trouble because it grows over time. I can eat double now what I could at 4 months out and I am sure it might even grow a touch more with time (my pouch can hold about 6oz of slider food like yogurt or about 2-3oz of protein like chicken). If a person can fit 3/4-1 cup of food in a sitting into their pouch, they could do a whole lot of damage if it was junk food each time they ate.

So, I guess I don't really "diet" but I didn't return to my old bad habits either. I am just trying to eat balanced and healthy. I try to enjoy food while also reminding myself that it is there to fuel my body and not just to bring me emotional comfort.
Trying to get back on track after having a baby :)

#4 Sadie329

Sadie329

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Surgeon:Nelson
  • Hospital:Norman
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:267
  • Current Weight:173
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.1
  • Surgery Date:04/5/11

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

I am in the same situation as Erika--I cheat but I diet too. I never go over 1200 calories and try very hard to stay high protein/good food...but I do have some of my old favorites now and then. Just much less of them. I also journal everything (in My Fitness Pal) I don't weigh or measure--I guess (which is not great, but works for me). I think trying to completely be perfect all the time is not ever gonna work for me. Being hyper-aware of what I eat is working. I have changed the way I eat and the way I feel about food. But I want to be realistic too. I am not going to only eat the perfect food all the time and I have to figure out how that works in my everyday life--while maintaining and continuing my weight loss. This is a journey and I aim to win, but I don't intend to set myself up to loose. Know what I mean?

Posted Image

#5 sabirah

sabirah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationHamilton, NJ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Profetta
  • Hospital:Our Lady of Lourdes
  • Height (ft-in):5-01
  • Start Weight:252
  • Current Weight:179
  • Goal Weight:115
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):33
  • Surgery Date:04/18/2011

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

I'm on the same boat as Erika. Im not a year out yet, a little over 6 months. I don't diet, but i dont eat junk constantly. its a treat, maybe a 2-4 times a week, but its just that once in a very small quantity, not all the time. I realized that if i end up depriving myself completely, i'm bound to binge, which i didn't want to do. And after i eat the "Junk" i make sure that i work out an extra 15-20 mins to burn off those extra calories, and ya know what, sometimes, that extra 20 mins of zumba was really worth that 1 oz of potato chips. I still weigh most of my food, but not everything. but i do record everything as well. it really helps keep u on track, and those not-so-good days really kick ur butt when u have to look at them in ur diet journal.
“Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." -- Elizabeth Stone

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com]Free Calorie Counter[/url

#6 pharmscott

pharmscott

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Surgeon:Robert Chastanet
  • Hospital:Chesapeake Regional Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:308
  • Current Weight:194
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:01/31/2011

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

I am 9 months out now and i agree that "diet" isnt the correct term to describe what I do. I just try to eat right 95% of the time...which is so much more rewarding after RNY because it still takes so little to be full. I listen to my stomach and not my head. When Im full...i stop eating. I dont weigh or measure but I know what amount it takes to make me uncomfortable and I dont push that feeling... i know that leads to bad things. I try to get my calories out of good filling foods and I have done a great job of only eating "bad" things on rare occasions. I am still losing weight at 9 months out and its because I am eating like a normal person should...if the wieghtloss never stops then we will have a different conversation.
I need a new Signature lin.....wait....this counts!

Scale Stomper #15

#7 SweetP

SweetP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationElk Grove, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Fisher
  • Hospital:Kaiser, Richmond, CA
  • Start Weight:290
  • Current Weight:124
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.4
  • Surgery Date:11/25/2009

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'm almost 2 years out and have been at goal since January. I still eat pretty much the same way I did during my active weight loss phase, but I have thrown in a little snack here and there because I'm now in maintenance. I will occasionally have something that's not so good for me, but usually I end up feeling very sick when I don't do it very often because it's just not worth it to me. At this point, it's all pretty routine to me and I can say that I will look at what others are eating around me and think to myself how can they eat that much or eat that stuff? I can't even fathom it anymore. Do I occasionally miss certain foods? Yes I do, and like I said I will sometimes try to eat something that I don't normally eat anymore and it just makes me sick and in pain.

Be grateful for what you have,

not ungrateful for what you don�t have.

Highest/Day of Surgery/Current/1st Goal/Ultimate Goal

290/249/124/130/120

#8 swizzly

swizzly

non sequiturial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:110
  • Current Weight:68
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24
  • Surgery Date:02/24/2011
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

I don't feel like I've been on a diet at all, since the start. It has been so easy for me, I could never say I didn't take the easy way out. :P I'm happy to do hard things the easy(ier) way, though, so I'm not bothered about people thinking/saying that stuff.

I have this tiny stomach, that never had much of a swelling issue even from early post op -- I've been able to hit 1000-1200 cals per day since like a month or so out. And I also got back my very strong full signal I've always had. Between the two of those, it's super hard for me to overeat anything, ever. Not that I'm trying -- I am fine eating till I'm full and stopping; it's exactly what I did pre-op that kept me at the same weight for over 10 years...I'm just getting full/stopping much earlier of course. Some days I can eat a surprising amount -- I think I hit 2000 cals one day, though wine played a role in that. ;) Some days I get full just thinking about food. So it all balances out and I still lose...slowly. Fine by me.

I can see this being pretty sustainable because I feel so much like I did pre-op, just with less quantity involved, and generally healthier choices that are protein-heavy. I have no concept of failing at this, there's no way I will. And even if I *could*, I *won't.* I will reach the proper weight for me and I will maintain it, full stop. And I'll enjoy life while I'm doing it. :)

Oh, oopsie. Just saw this post was specifically directed at RnY'ers. Beg pardon for barging in. :D

Edited by swizzly, 28 September 2011 - 11:48 AM.

Dee --
VSG, 24 Feb 2011

168cm / 5'6"

110/240~68/150
Start~Current 
(kg/lb)

What other people think of me is none of my business.

#9 Erika

Erika

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Start Weight:256
  • Current Weight:126
  • Goal Weight:136
  • Surgery Date:09/07/2010

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

I also just wanted to add that I read a lot in the long term forums and watch people come and go from here. The people who seem to have the greatest long term success are the ones who are quite careful about their food and nutrition intake. I keep that in mind. When people are posting asking for help because of regains, often when they post their food lists it will contain evidence of falling into bad habits again such as allowing carby foods, junky foods, candy, etc become a very normal part of their day. That is easy enough to do and so I am trying to prevent that for as long as possible by being aware of those foods and only allowing them in tiny portions and not every day. I want to have long term success.
Trying to get back on track after having a baby :)

#10 jessikagurl101

jessikagurl101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • Hospital:Hospital of Central Connecticut
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:398
  • Current Weight:199
  • Goal Weight:?

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

I am about 8 months out and to me, sometimes it feels like a diet and sometimes it doesn't. Of course if I eat something that's really not the best for me, the guit lingers with me, so it's not really worth it. Not to say I'm perfect, I'm far from it actually, but it's not like I'm gonna go through the rest of my life and never have a small slice of birthday cake or a few chips once in a while. I'm just aware of what I eat and try to make the best decisions I can.
"I’m deeply comforted to know that no amount of absentminded woolgathering can reconstruct “the plan” into something that I must practice or rehearse for, even if I wanted to.

It will be unplanned, unpremeditated, extempore, unconstrained, unforced, and the thought becomes more beautiful the more I think about it - or perhaps the more I try not to."

- Owl City

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#11 nancyb284

nancyb284

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Joseph Moran
  • Hospital:Rex Hospital, Raleigh, NC
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:148
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:08/25/2010

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

13 months out and it's really a life change, not just a food change. I still measure and weigh food, but my attitude is different. Food isn't as important as it once was.

However, I have to watch out for my trigger foods.......I never was a sweets eater (thank the good Lord), but pasta, man oh man! SO.....now I have a tiny amount of pasta about once a month and that is it.....

So...I'm not dieting, I'm focusing on protein, I'm focusing on fruits and veggies, I'm focusing on fluid intake, I'm focusing on exercise...so I'd say my focus is just different.

Nancy :D

#12 pharmscott

pharmscott

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Surgeon:Robert Chastanet
  • Hospital:Chesapeake Regional Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:308
  • Current Weight:194
  • Goal Weight:170

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:37 AM

So...I'm not dieting, I'm focusing on protein, I'm focusing on fruits and veggies, I'm focusing on fluid intake, I'm focusing on exercise...so I'd say my focus is just different.

Nancy :D

exactly...its not dieting...i get so full there is no way what im doing could be considered a diet....i just eat things that are better for me to get full now. i also just focus on eating my protein first...then nothing else is necessary or important.
I need a new Signature lin.....wait....this counts!

Scale Stomper #15

#13 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Chute
  • Hospital:Abbott Northwest
  • Height (ft-in):6-02
  • Start Weight:330
  • Current Weight:213
  • Goal Weight:210
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:06/22/11

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

exactly...its not dieting...i get so full there is no way what im doing could be considered a diet....i just eat things that are better for me to get full now. i also just focus on eating my protein first...then nothing else is necessary or important.

I agree with everybody, its not really a "diet" any longer. When I was pre-op, I thought of it as a "diet" - now after WLS all my eating habits seems normal now. Only challenge that I have is going out to eat with family and friends and other social settings, still a challenge to control your calorie intake. But, like others said - as long as you are good 95% of the time, everything will take care of itself.