mistymee

Food Log Websites

39 posts in this topic

Since this question seems to come back more and more- I thought I'd start a list and make it a sticky- at least until we get the tagging feature back on the main forum:

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.. I know that nutrimirror, fitnesspal, livestrong and I think spark people all have mobile aps available to use as well. Lots of people seem to like myfitnesspal.com but I personally don't care for it much. If you're into sharing your logs, you can share your journals on both of those sites (maybe others as well, I'm just not familiar enough with them anymore).

.Livestrong.com used to be 'thedailyplate.com and I think you can get there from either addy.

If you're heavy into creating recipes to log, for me personally- you cannot beat nutrimirror for easy use. (their forums are horrible, something from the old BB's of the early, early days of the internet but they hold fast to them for whatever reason) but their food log & recipe creator is just about the best I've used.

If I've missed any- feel free to add. If you have used any, feel free to give reviews.

FluffyMe and Tat2dHeart like this

ugh.. I made all those links.. why they didn't show? I dunno..ugh. will try again.

Okay- those worked.. one of them is now a dead link, so I removed that one.. (gosh, I wish linking multiple links was easier!!)

I am trying out "calorie counter," it's an iPad app. I think the most useful parts are the food log, and exercise log. I think they charge you for certain things, I mean, they're an option, but I think those aren't really necessary. Theres like two more iPad apps, but I like this one best. It's practical and I like how it looks. Just thought I'd share.

I have a question! So I just started using myfitnesspal-- what values should my daily fat and carb intake be at? I honestly have no idea! Gonna ask the NUT when I can, but in the meantime.. any ideas?

TildyinTexas and FluffyMe like this

YAY! I just found this! Thanks for pinning it up, Kelly. I write down everything I eat on paper, but I tend to not follow through with a whole day. Plus, I really need to start PLANNING my meals. DH bought me an iphone and an ipad to help with my tracking. I haven't used them yet so today he bought me a how-to-use-your iphone book AND a how-to-use-your ipad book. Between this thread and my husband, I am running out of excuses...

YAY! I just found this! Thanks for pinning it up, Kelly. I write down everything I eat on paper, but I tend to not follow through with a whole day. Plus, I really need to start PLANNING my meals. DH bought me an iphone and an ipad to help with my tracking. I haven't used them yet so today he bought me a how-to-use-your iphone book AND a how-to-use-your ipad book. Between this thread and my husband, I am running out of excuses...

You're welcome, hon.. and nope, no excuses now :)

To be perfectly honest.. if it wasn't for tracking my numbers, I would probably be way close to 300 lbs by now :( Even now, 4 years out, I just plain cannot 'eyeball' my food.. I try to do it all the time, then measure and I'm always way over and have to put food back. I still have that 'Eyes are bigger than my belly" syndrome :/

Good luck!

I'm a SPARKPEOPLE gal since about 2007/2008. They have a really nice app for smart phones/i-pads, and the choice is there to customize the food tracker for a specific diet (atkins, low carb, etc... or to a specific calorie range). Oh, and you can also track whether or not you took your supplements, got enough water, etc... I carry it everywhere. The only thing...if you use the "USER SHARED" food database, double check the values to make sure you don't make an oops because of someone else's entry error.

The tracker also tracks fitness and/or steps. Can't say enough about it, but it can turn into a full time job if you use all of the program/system.

Does anyone know of a tracker that has a bar code scanner app?

1chancla likes this

I use daily burn tracker. Its a free app. They next day it emails you to let you know if you hit the RDA for essential vits(you have to enter your vits too). You can set goals for fitness, calories, protein amounts. You can pay for a scan food options. Your phone will scan foods from the UPC sympbol. So far I love it!

I found caloriecount.about.com a couple of weeks ago. I use the actual website and the iphone app. I really like it! It's the first site I have stuck with.

angel0524 likes this

Never heard of caloriecount.about.com... will have to check it out! :D

Wynter likes this

Thank you for this post. Very helpful info!

I've been trying SparkPeople, but I find it somewhat hard to navigate. Thanks for this list of alternatives!

Are there any /free/ barcode apps? I'm probably kidding myself, I know...

Thank you for this advise, I just put in what I had so far today. I am still eating more fat than I thought. So now I can adjust this. Thank you for this help.

I use MFP and modified it to give me less fat and carb allowence. I was able to do that on my computer not the app. I also log my workouts on there.. It realy helps keep me accountable.

tdmdesigns likes this

I use and love my fitness pal. I love that you can scan barcodes. Anyone else planning to use it, add me! NotreD6

TabathaC likes this

Thanks for sharing all the important Food log website under one roof. It helps in keeping an effective food update vital in succeeding with our fitness. Also food log websites saves user time and money in hiring personal dietitian to start a food log, all we need is the time and commitment to track everything you put in your mouth.

I like http://www.mynetdiary.com/ and I use it on my iPad and I use the website directly. I like the auto-syncing.

I have a question! So I just started using myfitnesspal-- what values should my daily fat and carb intake be at? I honestly have no idea! Gonna ask the NUT when I can, but in the meantime.. any ideas?

700-800 after surgery. 1,000 when moved to solids still only follow advice of your nut. good luck I to just joined myfitnesspal.

foreverloved24 i think

TildyinTexas likes this

I've been trying SparkPeople, but I find it somewhat hard to navigate. Thanks for this list of alternatives!

Are there any /free/ barcode apps? I'm probably kidding myself, I know...

MyFitnessPal is free (online and smart phone app) and you can scan any food/drink! SOOO convenient, I easily log everything daily :)

TabathaC and kindred71 like this

I use Calorie Counter by FatSecret app for android.  Daily logs, tons of pre-entered foods, barcode scanning, exercise log, can really tweak each entry. 

Does anyone know of a tracker that has a bar code scanner app?

I use www.myfitnesspal.com  and it has a barcode scanner on it.

I am using Calorie King. It is a good web site and easy to navigate. The downside is that you have to pay a subscription fee. They run special membership promotions in late December & early January so that is the time to join. I was already a member before I considered WLS.

CK is very good about privacy of information and there are no ads to complicate things. They do not have much to sell on the web site either. As I said, I like everything about it except the fee.

i use a notepad and pencil,  I also log my weight everyday and my blood sugar on the same tablet.   It's just me, I am so used to pen and paper.   and as for the weight part, I NEED to see that number everyday,  it helps me.  

Karen, I am thinking about getting a small pad of paper to carry with me. It is so easy to get "calorie amnesia" when you are out and about.