• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:372
  • Current Weight:372
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:23 AM

I am in the process of preparing for weight loss surgery. After attending informational seminars and researching information about the various weight loss surgeries available, my preference is the gastric sleeve. However after meeting with my surgeon this past week, he told me that I was not a good candidate for the sleeve due to my upper GI results showing that I have a large hiatal hernia. He recommended the gastric bypass instead. This threw me for such a loop. He says acid reflux increases or you experience more complications when you have a large hernia - even though it will be repaired during surgery - with the gastric sleeve.

I'm wondering if anyone also had a large hiatal hernia and was told the same thing by their surgeon.

Also, are there people in this forum who had a large hiatal hernia but had it repaired along with the sleeve. If so, what has been your experience post op?

#2 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,450 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:37 AM

Welcome to T-T!

I found a couple of VSG members who had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time as their WLS:

http://www.thinnerti...552#entry748552
http://www.thinnerti...025#entry736025
http://www.thinnerti...000#entry688000

But there are more. Click on the little black cog to the top right of this page. Search "hiatal hernia", "forum" and click on the VSG forum from the drop-down list and click on Display Results as "posts".

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#3 Parev00

Parev00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Height (ft-in):6-02
  • Start Weight:375
  • Current Weight:197
  • Goal Weight:206
  • Surgery Date:10/2011
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

I had the sleeve done. I had never had any symptoms of a hiatal hernia, not did anything show up on any of the pre-op testing.

When the doctor got inside my guts, he found a giant hernia. He said it was so big he could drive a truck though it. He showed me pictures too.

It added about 45 minutes to the surgery to fix it, which my surgeon always does if he finds one. I'm only 7 days post-op, but I have not had any problems from it so far.

#4 ✿ Paula ✿

✿ Paula ✿

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs
  • Surgeon:Dr. Schoen
  • Hospital:University of Colorado
  • Start Weight:225
  • Current Weight:123
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:05/26/2011

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

I am glad your surgery is over and well done!
I always wonder why the surgeons find hernias during surgery and not before hand. Just seems to me they would do an EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) or other tests to get a little peak prior to the operation to have heads up on what to expect.

Posted Image

My husband said to me, " You come with instructions now ! "

#5 kimrn

kimrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFresno, Ca
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:312
  • Current Weight:312
  • Surgery Date:?

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

Do you have GERD also?

I am in the process of preparing for weight loss surgery. After attending informational seminars and researching information about the various weight loss surgeries available, my preference is the gastric sleeve. However after meeting with my surgeon this past week, he told me that I was not a good candidate for the sleeve due to my upper GI results showing that I have a large hiatal hernia. He recommended the gastric bypass instead. This threw me for such a loop. He says acid reflux increases or you experience more complications when you have a large hernia - even though it will be repaired during surgery - with the gastric sleeve.

I'm wondering if anyone also had a large hiatal hernia and was told the same thing by their surgeon.

Also, are there people in this forum who had a large hiatal hernia but had it repaired along with the sleeve. If so, what has been your experience post op?

#6 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,450 posts
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

I started on the WLS road because of a large umbilical hernia. My PCP referred me to a surgeon because of it and it was he who suggested WLS at the same time as the hernia repair. He told me straight that unless I loss weight and kept it off, I'd be back because the mesh patch wouldn't hold it.

But something worth bearing in mind is that the risk of developing an internal hernia is lifelong. When obese people lose weight they may be more prone to developing hernias:

...surgeons have linked internal hernia with excessive and rapid weight loss after undergoing minimally invasive surgical treatment of morbid obesity. (Internal hernia is a defect in the abdominal cavity that allows abdominal structures, such as the intestines, to move out of their natural position.

And that happened to me last year - I had to have bilateral femoral hernias repaired - it was started laparoscopically but had to be converted to an open procedure leaving me with a hip-to-hip incision.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~