• Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:290
  • Current Weight:175
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:07/19/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Dr. Callery,

I was just informed by my GI doc that my liver enzymes are elevated. She is sending me for an abdominal ultrasound on Tuesday to rule out gallstones. I have ulcers in my pouch, but that pain is on the left side. Can you have gallstones that effect your liver enzymes with no pain(I know that your gallbladder is on the right)? Thank you for your help!
I can shop in the " normal section" !!!

Highest:297
Start of Program:290
Surgery Weight: 273
Current Weight: 185
Goal:150 Surgeon: Dr. Dunnican

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 Dr. Callery

Dr. Callery

Bariatric Surgeon

• Administrators
  • 631 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:54 AM

Dr. Callery,

I was just informed by my GI doc that my liver enzymes are elevated. She is sending me for an abdominal ultrasound on Tuesday to rule out gallstones. I have ulcers in my pouch, but that pain is on the left side. Can you have gallstones that effect your liver enzymes with no pain(I know that your gallbladder is on the right)? Thank you for your help!

Gallstone related pain is usually in the mid upper abdomen or right upper abdomen and often travels to the area just under the lower tip of the right scapula (shoulder blade). However pain sometimes occurs elsewhere such such as in the left upper abdomen or shoulders. Gallstones can cause elevation of liver enzymes two ways. First, if a patient gets acute inflammation of the gallbladder, the live is affected locally, and certain enzyme levels rise. This type of acute inflammation, called acute cholecystitis, usually causes right upper quadrant abdominal pain. The second way that gallstones can cause elevation of enzymes (different ones) is if a stone escapes from the gallbladder and lodges in the common bile duct. The stone blocks the duct, and puts back pressure on the bile and thus the liver. In this situation the patient may develop jaundice (yellowing of the skin).This process is often painless.
(NMRCP)

Your doc can usually sort these causes out with blood work and an ultrasound. Sometimes more exotic tests such as nuclear magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (NMRCP) are needed.

The graphic demonstrating gallstone related problems is from a Krames patient information pamphlet. See also a good article in New York Times Health Guide.

Attached Thumbnails

• Problems in the Common Bile Duct.jpg

Join our Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/thinnertimes
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/drcallery
Subscribe to our newsletter: http://eepurl.com/vBLUX

This advice is not a substitute for a consultation with your doctor, nutritionist, or other healthcare professional.
As always, if you have a problem or health-related complication (or emergency), please contact the proper authorities immediately.