• Start Weight:364
  • Current Weight:190
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):34
  • Surgery Date:02/01/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hello~

I heard from my PCP and my surgeon's nurse that as you lose weight the fat cells shrink and release hormones into your body. The more you lose, the more hormonal activity that starts pinging around your body. Anyone heard this?

I've been fighting what I thought was PMS but now i'm wondering if there's any truth to this. I have a short-temper, I cry easily, I experience anxiety and panic, anger and frustration on levels I haven't in a long time.

I'm on medication (since before surgery-4 months ago) for depression, but this is something crazy!

Example: Yesterday I was off work and went to do a few shopping errands. When office depot didn't have what I wanted I left and went to my next store: Best Buy. The have a trade in program that the employee failed to mention they only do on line. After I left the store I told my husband to take me home, I cried, and I wanted to line up the items I was going to trade in and smash them with a hammer.

Over-reaction much? What's the deal with me?

#2 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

Completely normal.

My doctor told us to apologize to family & friends as often as possible during the active weight loss phase.. as there is no getting around it... we get grumpy when those hormones are streaming through our blood streams.

Some people have sought help with short term anti-depressants for really severe mood swings. Hope you feel better!

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#3 Sabby Lady

Sabby Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Legha
  • Hospital:El Camino
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:341
  • Current Weight:184
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:03/07/2011

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

I am so going thru this hormonal shift right now and have been down-right nasty! I can't hardly stand myself so I can't imagine what people are me are experiencing. Add to the hormones I started last month with the birth control NuvaRing so the hormones are even crazier.

I try to beg for some tolerance and am trying really hard to be nice but it's hard.

#4 lealphachienne

lealphachienne

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Potts
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:235
  • Current Weight:150
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:05/28/2004

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

I was a huge (can't write what I really want, fill in the blank with whatever worse expletive you can think off) and the emotional ups and downs were nearly as bad as going through puberty again!

Edited by lealphachienne, 31 May 2011 - 11:15 PM.
profanity

Marie
TT Gym Rat #25
A single bracelet does not jingle
www.nochilddiesalone.org
http://www.facebook.com/NCDAInc

#5 pnkhrts1

pnkhrts1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Douglas Khran
  • Hospital:Saint Bernadine's Medical Center

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

So yesterday my staff got together to tell me that they are "uncomfortable around me because they don't know what type of mood I'll be in". One said she felt like she was "walking on eggshells" and another said that "I seem mad".

I told them I was sorry they felt that way and promptly went outside and burst into tears. Like seriously sobbing tears. I feel like they are all "ganging up" on me and that we are in a business not a cheerleading squad. I don't feel like I have to be "Suzie Sunshine" and that they have no right to complain about something I have little control over.

I have tried to be extra "nice and smiley" today, but frankly, I'm just mad. Mad that they complained. Mad that they are forcing me to be fake. Mad that I have to work with them.

I don't even know what to do anymore.

#6 allygator

allygator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Hodge
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:292
  • Current Weight:168
  • Surgery Date:05/10/2011

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

Wow, sorry you are having such a rough time. Emotional ups and downs are tough, but as s soon to be certified counselor...the fact that you recognize it as an overreaction likely means you are not headed for the looney bin :) I have heard this too about the hormones in the fat cells. I don't "think" I am experiencing it yet but I think my hubby would beg to differ. Scary because I work in collections (I'm in grad school..it pays the bills....don't be a hater) so you can imagine what kind of conversations I have throughout the day. I go back to work Tuesday....A little scared!

Edited by allygator, 03 June 2011 - 03:41 PM.

"Nothing will come from nothing.." King Lear Act I scene i

highest/pre-op diet/DOS/current/goal
292/285/274/168/150

#7 lcrogers99

lcrogers99

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, Texas
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jorge Acosta
  • Hospital:Del Sol Medical Center
  • Start Weight:215
  • Current Weight:128
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.0
  • Surgery Date:03/21/2011

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:34 PM

So yesterday my staff got together to tell me that they are "uncomfortable around me because they don't know what type of mood I'll be in". One said she felt like she was "walking on eggshells" and another said that "I seem mad".

I told them I was sorry they felt that way and promptly went outside and burst into tears. Like seriously sobbing tears. I feel like they are all "ganging up" on me and that we are in a business not a cheerleading squad. I don't feel like I have to be "Suzie Sunshine" and that they have no right to complain about something I have little control over.

I have tried to be extra "nice and smiley" today, but frankly, I'm just mad. Mad that they complained. Mad that they are forcing me to be fake. Mad that I have to work with them.

I don't even know what to do anymore.

I have had people tell me that they don't know what type of mood I'll be in, too. It was co-workers and family. I had the same reaction - cry and then get mad! My feeling is that I am trying and I'll be honest, I'm just not in the mood for stupid stuff. I was never "Suzie Sunshine" before and now I just stay frustrated. I don't pry into other people's business, am a good employee, am in control of my finances, and strive every day to be a good person.

However, the more weight I lose, the more intolerant I am of others. If you're going to bother me or irritate me, then do us both a favor and leave me alone. Because I was vocal before but now, I will definitely give you my true opinion! lol My MIL hasn't spoken to me in 6 weeks because I basically told her that I was tired of her self-induced drama. In my MIL's case, I do not plan on issuing an apology because I have enjoyed my drama-free Sundays since our blow-up (she always came by on Sundays). lol

However, my most guilt comes with my 3 year old daughter. She is very smart, happy and vocal. My husband is not much help with her because he is always working on a project so I feel like a single parent sometimes. There are days when I literally grit my teeth because my daughter is driving me insane. I try to be very conscious of this and stay calm. My dad was a yeller and I always swore that I would be a better parent. Since my surgery, often I find that once I have put my daughter to bed and sat down to finally relax, I feel emotionally like I have been hit by a truck.
Lisa
HW/DOS/CW/GW
215/207/129/130

2 weeks post-op: 196; 1 month post-op: 189
2 months post-op: 177
3 months post-op: 164
4 months post-op: 152
5 months post-op: 144
6 months post-op: 140
7 months post-op: 133 MADE GOAL!!!! 130 on 11/03/11 (7 1/2 months post-op)

#8 lealphachienne

lealphachienne

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Potts
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Current Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:05/28/2004

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:08 AM

This had nothing to do with hormones...but goes to show how people just are not getting it....I was spoken to by my boss last year...."are you sure this is the right place for you?" "I'm hearing that you're upset all the time...we wouldn't want that to rub off onto the patients...if you want to keep your job you need to smile more"....I asked, "Any complaints from my patients or their families?" "No, but we're all worried about you....you just to be more relaxed." My response, "How do you you think I should feel like when my stepmom of 20 years dies in my arms a month ago and I wasn't allowed any bereavement time?" (I threw in some stronger words than what's allowable to post). Boss didn't say much more after that and I wasn't fired though I didn't start smiling any more at the office.
Marie
TT Gym Rat #25
A single bracelet does not jingle
www.nochilddiesalone.org
http://www.facebook.com/NCDAInc

#9 Xeniak

Xeniak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • LocationDenmark
  • Surgeon:Dr Omar
  • Hospital:Aalborg Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:390
  • Current Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:11/02/2010

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:30 AM

Hello~

I heard from my PCP and my surgeon's nurse that as you lose weight the fat cells shrink and release hormones into your body. The more you lose, the more hormonal activity that starts pinging around your body. Anyone heard this?

I've been fighting what I thought was PMS but now i'm wondering if there's any truth to this. I have a short-temper, I cry easily, I experience anxiety and panic, anger and frustration on levels I haven't in a long time.

I'm on medication (since before surgery-4 months ago) for depression, but this is something crazy!

Example: Yesterday I was off work and went to do a few shopping errands. When office depot didn't have what I wanted I left and went to my next store: Best Buy. The have a trade in program that the employee failed to mention they only do on line. After I left the store I told my husband to take me home, I cried, and I wanted to line up the items I was going to trade in and smash them with a hammer.

Over-reaction much? What's the deal with me?

I did not know this but i was super emotional in the start when i was loosing a lot of weight. I remembered i used to cry easy and was a little hysterical about little issues... my NUT actually suggested to me that i consider see a psychologist and getting on anti depressants.. but i didnt want to add more meds to my long list of meds..

I posted a lot of sad little posts where i was crying at the time on here on this forum and was able to vent out my extreme emotional state at the time.. I am not doing as bad now.. If u want i can share some of my stories that come to my mind where i completely over reacted with tears and all too and can really see that now..

Anyways what i'm trying to say is that what you are describing of how you feel and what your going through i completely understand. I was being the same way for some months *hugs

Edited by Xeniak, 04 June 2011 - 02:32 AM.

See pictures @ goal- lost 107 kilos / 240 lbs/ after my pregnancy i gained 20lbs but I got my biggest goal, my biggest dream, my baby girl - see pictures here

#10 BeckaBoo

BeckaBoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Ramzi Alami
  • Hospital:So. San Francisco - Kaiser
  • Current Weight:132
  • Surgery Date:04/18/2011

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

you are not alone. within the first month of my weight loss I became the most emotional person ever. tired all the time, taking naps, feeling drained. at times during the day it was extreme PMS and crying and then it went to wanting to be left alone completely, to being mad about everything. resentment, anger, fear, sorrow, regret.......they seemed to take turns being in charge of my mood. after my first stall, it all stopped. I actually got a new prescrip from my doctor for happy meds, my original prescrip wasnt absorbing enough. now, I feel 100 times better. my poor husband. I felt so bad that I didnt want to talk to him, touch him, have sex with him.......I hated him.....and for no reason at all. Now, I realize, he is my rock and I love him and our children more than anything. don't be afraid to get help through a therapist or even through medicine, some help for a period of time is ok and dont let pride or anything else stop you. being happy is number one......do what it takes to get there. I did and it was the best decision ever......
surgery april 18th, 2011!!!! ONEDERLAND May 6th, 2011!!! Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#11 Brine01

Brine01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDelaware
  • Surgeon:Dr. Gail Wynn
  • Hospital:Christiana Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:368
  • Current Weight:226
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):41.3
  • Surgery Date:06/20/2011
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:49 AM

How long do these mood swing last?

#12 lcrogers99

lcrogers99

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, Texas
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jorge Acosta
  • Hospital:Del Sol Medical Center
  • Start Weight:215
  • Current Weight:128
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.0
  • Surgery Date:03/21/2011

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

My mood swings lasted about 2 1/2 months. I feel so much better and more "grounded" now. For a while, I was an angry, depressed emotional mess. My poor husband and daughter....I still feel guilty that I basically went through the motions of daily life and kept to myself as much as possible. However, now I feel great and I am really, really happy. So it gets better!
Lisa
HW/DOS/CW/GW
215/207/129/130

2 weeks post-op: 196; 1 month post-op: 189
2 months post-op: 177
3 months post-op: 164
4 months post-op: 152
5 months post-op: 144
6 months post-op: 140
7 months post-op: 133 MADE GOAL!!!! 130 on 11/03/11 (7 1/2 months post-op)

#13 ceezack

ceezack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationALABAMA
  • Surgeon:DR.LANE
  • Hospital:MOBILE INFIRMARY
  • Start Weight:267
  • Current Weight:147
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):30
  • Surgery Date:04/04/2011

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

HELLO EVERYONE I AM GOING THRU THE SAME ROLLER COASTER MOOD SWINGS AND IT IS HORRIBLE ! I HAVE BEEN ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS FOR YEARS NOW AND HORMONE PILLS BUT THIS HAS GOTTEN WORSE SINCE WLS I HAVE SPOKEN WITH MY DR AND THEY ALL SAME THE SAME .I AM LOSEING WEIGHT AND HORMONES ARE RELEASEING AND TO FIND ME A THERAPIST TO TALK TOO ALONG WITH CHANGEING MY DOSAGE OF MY MEDS.I SURE HOPE IT ENDS SOON... MY HUSBAND THINKS I HATE HIM AND THE KIDS JUST SAY I HAVE LOST MY MIND ! GOING ON 2 MONTHS LIKE THIS AND I SURE HOPE THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF MY TUNNEL ......

#14 Kirabelle

Kirabelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationCape Cod, MA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kruger
  • Hospital:Tobey Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:423
  • Current Weight:199
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):33
  • Surgery Date:1/24/2012

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Wow I am so glad I found this forum. I had no idea this might be an issue! I know hormones are stored in fat and I'm looking forward to mine going to normal when the fat is gone, but I didn't think about where they'd GO. I'm a beast when I have PMS... uh oh. I like that apologizing in advance idea. At least with those near and dear. If everyone is aware, maybe they'll be more tolerant of my beastliness. One can hope.
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SCALE STOMPER #77!

#15 pnkhrts1

pnkhrts1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Douglas Khran
  • Hospital:Saint Bernadine's Medical Center

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hi everyone!

I wanted to follow up on this topic and see where everyone is with it. For me it started at my first post and I ended up going out on medical leave. I saw a therapist, a psycologist, and my PCP, tried 4 different types ad doseages of meds befroe I felt better in NOVEMBER. In the mean time I lost my job and that sent me in a whole new emotional direction. I finally feel better, but it was a rough road getting here.

Best of luck to you all! HUGS!
Michelle

#16 Kazkaren

Kazkaren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia
  • Surgeon:Dr Hopkins - Revision
  • Hospital:Holy Spirit Northside Brisbane
  • Height (ft-in):4-11
  • Start Weight:269.7
  • Current Weight:152.7
  • Goal Weight:154
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32.1
  • Surgery Date:12/07/2011

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

I love this thread- am riding the roller-coaster with you all!!! Have already apologised to my fam for being a cow on Christmas day- although I think I felt it more than them - Have seen my GP to talk about the roller coaster and see him again before I go back to work- if no more settled will ask for Anti-deps as I can't work in my field like this- Am only early on and so much more to go....Thank-you for having a place to vent-

weight.png

weight.png

Kaz!

#17 Daisymae

Daisymae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

New here but I'm wondering if you're allowed herbal teas post surgery? There is a tea called red raspberry leaf that rids the body of excess hormones. Its incredible for PMS. I wonder if it would work for people post op? I also wonder if the moodiness isn't a react to anesthesia and your body healing too.

#18 terry b

terry b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Surgeon:Kent Sasse, MD
  • Hospital:Renown South Meadows
  • Start Weight:297
  • Current Weight:278
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):51
  • Surgery Date:5/25/12

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

So glad I found this thread. I'm not really going crazy based on what everone is saying. Prior to surgery and pre-menopausal I was on prednisone beause I had an allergy to my own hormones that caused me to break out in hives. Since surgery, I have been getting hives again on my hands and feet. Not fun. I haven't experienced the emotional issue, just the hives.

I didn;t see anyone else respond to how long the hormones continued to release and cause their "roller coaster". That woud give me an idea on how long I'll be plagued with the hives.