• Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:212
  • Current Weight:141
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.9
  • Surgery Date:02/02/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:52 AM

Someone asked me yesterday why can't I have caffeine. I couldn't answer them. I understand the reasoning behind carbonated drinks---but not caffeine. Please help.
Surgery Date 2/2/12 --- Feb. 24- 194 -18 pds / Mar. 24 -187 -25 pds
1st Mini Goal 182 (Back where I was this past summer) Met!!!
2nd Mini Goal 172 (30th High School Reunion--Apr. 24) Not quite---176.5 but I'm still trying!! MET!!!
3rd Mini Goal 170 (End of School Year-May) MET!!!
4th Mini Goal 160 (Beg. of New School Year--Aug)
5th Mini Goal 150 (Halloween)
6th Mini Goal 145 (Thanksgiving)
7th Mini Goal 130 (Hopefully Feb 2, 2012 1 yr post op :)!!!!

Kathy

#2 pharmscott

pharmscott

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Surgeon:Robert Chastanet
  • Hospital:Chesapeake Regional Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:308
  • Current Weight:194
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:01/31/2011

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:59 AM

Immediately after gb caffiene can cause a healing pouch, irritation...it is an irritant. It is also acts as a diuretic...causing you to loose precious fluids at a time when you are already having enough trouble getting enough fluid. We already struggle with dehydration...esp immediately post-op. It can also cause you to feel hungry...because of its diuretic and stimulant effects.
I need a new Signature lin.....wait....this counts!

Scale Stomper #15

#3 ahmerzrealm

ahmerzrealm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Guske
  • Hospital:Alexian Brothers
  • Height (ft-in):6-02
  • Start Weight:330
  • Current Weight:270
  • Goal Weight:210
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):35.5
  • Surgery Date:12/21/2010

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

also, if you become dehydrated then it willl open you up to kidney problems. I have observed many people in this boat because they didnt take enough fluids.

If you are having a hard time with fluids. I have learned that Sobe Life Water Zero tastes very good and has zero carbs, zero sugar, zero calories. When I work out I always use Powerade Zero to replenish what I have lost. I also get spring water delivered to my door by Ice mountain (Nestle Water Company). I like the light tasting spring water over what I get via the tap.

Posted Image

#4 danahcam

danahcam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Surgeon:Dr Ahmad ALY
  • Hospital:Warringal Private Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:194
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.9
  • Surgery Date:11/14/2011

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hi all, Just thought I'd add my opinion to this no caffeine rule. My dietician has advised to avoid caffeine aswell as alcohol. The alcohol thing is not an issue because although i'm only 2 weeks out, drinking alcohol is the last thing I feel like doing. But the caffeine thing is a different matter. I wasn't a big coffee drinker before surgery, maybe 1 or 2 cups per day but I drank alot of pepsi max. Well for the week I was in hospital I suffered from severe headaches that really made my recovery extremely unpleasant. The first night I got home my sister made me a cup of coffee and without thinking I drank half of it. Well I was still wide awake at 2am and my muscles were having spasms. I decided to avoid caffeine again but the next day and following days the migraine type headache returned. I didn't think to assoicate the headaches with withdrawal from caffeine. I went to a chiroprator because I though my neck was out, neck was put back in but no relief from the headaches. These headaches were very debilitating and stopping me from concerntrating on my recovery from surgery. Then yesterday I had 2 sips of flattened pepsi max (my diet guidelines state that you can have diet soft drink as long as it's flat) and again last night was wide awake till early. So to cut my long story short, i've decided that I may going to have 1 cup of coffee a day as I can not tolerate these migraines and I can not guarentee that I will abstain from caffeine completely so I don't want to go through the withdrawals over and over again.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth and everybody is different but I must say that this morning had my half a cup of coffee with protein powder and I do not have a headache, yeah!!!!

Edited by danahcam, 26 November 2011 - 08:44 PM.

#5 krunkk

krunkk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationClovis, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kelvin Higa
  • Hospital:Fresno Heart and Surgical Hospital
  • Start Weight:324
  • Current Weight:155
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.4
  • Surgery Date:01/11/2012

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hi all, Just thought I'd add my opinion to this no caffeine rule. My dietician has advised to avoid caffeine aswell as alcohol. The alcohol thing is not an issue because although i'm only 2 weeks out, drinking alcohol is the last thing I feel like doing. But the caffeine thing is a different matter. I wasn't a big coffee drinker before surgery, maybe 1 or 2 cups per day but I drank alot of pepsi max. Well for the week I was in hospital I suffered from severe headaches that really made my recovery extremely unpleasant. The first night I got home my sister made me a cup of coffee and without thinking I drank half of it. Well I was still wide awake at 2am and my muscles were having spasms. I decided to avoid caffeine again but the next day and following days the migraine type headache returned. I didn't think to assoicate the headaches with withdrawal from caffeine. I went to a chiroprator because I though my neck was out, neck was put back in but no relief from the headaches. These headaches were very debilitating and stopping me from concerntrating on my recovery from surgery. Then yesterday I had 2 sips of flattened pepsi max (my diet guidelines state that you can have soft drink as long as it's flat) and again last night was wide awake till early. So to cut my long story short, i've decided that I may going to have 1 cup of coffee a day as I can not tolerate these migraines and I can not guarentee that I will abstain from caffeine completely so I don't want to go through the withdrawals over and over again.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth and everybody is different but I must say that this morning had my half a cup of coffee with protein powder and I do not have a headache, yeah!!!!

The only thing that concerns me about what you said really is the soda ordeal.

I know kicking the caffeine habit will stink, but it may be for the better honestly. Just make sure you are extremely careful with liquid calories is all I'm saying. Bad habits are hard to break as we all know.

Just a thought of concern is all.

Good luck on your journey and I look forward to hearing more about it in the future! :)

-Quin

Highest Weight - 324 lbs Surgery Weight - 303 lbs Current Weight - 155 lbs Goal Weight- 170 lbs

weight.png

My Weight Chart:

wVzk8vR.png
>

#6 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

I'd also suggest that given that post gastric bypass we're all at an elevated risk for osteoporosis, that drinking anything with phosphorus (sp??) is a REALLY bad idea. (It leaches calcium from our bones)

And as has been reported by several people here- doctors have reported that though not all who drink soda will regain weight, those who gain weight are almost all soda drinkers (even diet)... so for me, it's worth not drinking.

As for the caffeine- I highly recommend preops to wean themselves off of it if you're a heavy caffeine addict before you head into surgery. As mentioned above, it's miserable to deal with the caffeine withdrawals when you're trying to heal!

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#7 lee78

lee78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHelsinki,Finland
  • Hospital:The Health Clinic, Estonia
  • Start Weight:215
  • Current Weight:149
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25.1
  • Surgery Date:10/13/2011

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

My plan allows caffeine, and I have a Latte wich I add unflavoured protein powder too almost every morning. But for the first weeks after surgery I stayed away from caffeine until my pouch recovered and more importantly until I didn't have a problem getting all my fluids in so I wouldn't get dehydrated from the coffee
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wth7sAr/]
Posted Image
[/url]

#8 Dieing to be thin again

Dieing to be thin again

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationDale City VA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Halmi
  • Hospital:Potomac
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:201
  • Current Weight:128
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.4
  • Surgery Date:11/8/2011

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:20 AM

I have not been allowed to have caffeine in along time. I am one who will not sleep if I have any caffeine at all. I also had acid reflux before the surgery and could not drink caffeine or soda because of this. So, staying away has been not problem for me. I do agree that if you drink caffeine daily you need to ween yourself off it before surgery.

Posted Image

#9 kimberlyatlga

kimberlyatlga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationBowling Green, Kentucky
  • Surgeon:Ronald Clements, M.D.
  • Hospital:Vanderbilt Medical Center
  • Start Weight:311
  • Current Weight:172
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:11/01/2011

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:44 AM

My plan as well will allow up to 10 ounces of caffeine daily. I had my first cup of coffee 3 weeks out.
Kimberly

On the loser's bench!

#10 nikki ( noychoy)

nikki ( noychoy)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Surgeon:Kenneth Warnock
  • Hospital:United Regional
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:349
  • Current Weight:167
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:10/07/2010

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:58 AM

I dont drink soda as advised by my doctor. But i do occasionally have an ice tea and a coffee from starbucks, but for the most part I stick to decaf so it counts as my fluid intake.

#11 rhianna

rhianna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Surgeon:Vemulapalli
  • Hospital:Montefiore
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:185
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):30
  • Surgery Date:08/24/11

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:12 AM

I dont drink soda anymore, and boy do i miss it. I do drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day. I have 1 in the morning and 1 late afternoon. I have stayed hydrated and i use low fat half and half and splenda. I waited 1 month before having coffee and Ooooo what a treat! I can do without fastfood, sweets, and fried foods but i can not do w/o my coffee, my kids wouldnt even talk to me in the morning lol

I do know that coffee can cause ulcers and us GB patients have to be careful of ulcers because we can easily get one. My husband had GB 4 yrs ago and just last yr started urinating blood (sorry if TMI) we went straight to the ER and after some testing they found he had a bleeding ulcer due to GB. I hear its pretty common.
Scale Stomper #82

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#12 RANDEE45

RANDEE45

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • Surgeon:FINNELL
  • Hospital:UNITED REGIONAL
  • Start Weight:333
  • Current Weight:195
  • Goal Weight:185
  • Surgery Date:01/19/2012

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

i was told bc caffeine makes you hungry!!! and that came from my nutritionist...

weight.png

Randee

Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal. – Henry Ford
HIGHEST WEIGHT-333
DATE OF SURGERY- 318
CURRENT WEIGHT-195
GOAL WEIGHT-185

#13 Beccerrrrr

Beccerrrrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationEaston, MD
  • Surgeon:Dr. Andrew Averbach
  • Hospital:St. Agnes
  • Start Weight:305
  • Current Weight:241
  • Goal Weight:155
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):41
  • Surgery Date:10/03/2011

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

I had my first caffeine a few weeks ago. Not thinking, I got an unsweetened iced tea from McDonolds, needed something to drink, and I didnt want water. I didnt think about the caffeine...
I was moving out of my old house, into our new apartment, and all of a sudden just got cold sweats, a headache that turned into a migrane.
I never really had a thing for coffee, or really even sodas. So it wasnt a big deal to give up, but I didnt realize I was gonna have to give up tea everywhere except home.
I love tea! So, I have decaff iced tea, black tea, etc etc. I dont wanna deal with that migrane again. It was horrible!

'The stars are always there But we miss themn the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms.
Tell them to remember hope...We have hope.'
Add Me On FaceBook! =]
[But tell me who you are pleasee]
Posted Image

#14 Nana60

Nana60

Really really old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts
  • LocationBonita, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Rumsey
  • Hospital:Pacific Bariatric
  • Start Weight:229
  • Current Weight:138
  • Goal Weight:139
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.6
  • Surgery Date:08/23/2011

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:21 PM

I started back on my tea one week out with no problems. I'm four months out and drink 2 cups of tea a day. Just don't count it as water since it is a diuretic.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFVxgPG/]
Posted Image
[/url]

#15 Sherryann13

Sherryann13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana
  • Hospital:IU Health Goshen
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:284
  • Current Weight:128
  • Surgery Date:09/27/2011

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

Even flat soda upsets my tummy and gives me gas. But I do drink a cup of coffee when Im in the mood (and know it wont upset my tummy). Havent had any problems.

Surgery scheduled for 9.27.2011

#16 hollis89

hollis89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSantee, Ca
  • Surgeon:DR. Zorn
  • Hospital:Scrips Mercy
  • Start Weight:276
  • Current Weight:195
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Surgery Date:07/18/2013

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Crystal light sells a non caffeine ice tea flavor I just ordered some on their web site so not sure yet how it taste.

I had my first caffeine a few weeks ago. Not thinking, I got an unsweetened iced tea from McDonolds, needed something to drink, and I didnt want water. I didnt think about the caffeine...
I was moving out of my old house, into our new apartment, and all of a sudden just got cold sweats, a headache that turned into a migrane.
I never really had a thing for coffee, or really even sodas. So it wasnt a big deal to give up, but I didnt realize I was gonna have to give up tea everywhere except home.
I love tea! So, I have decaff iced tea, black tea, etc etc. I dont wanna deal with that migrane again. It was horrible!

#17 Happy-Camper

Happy-Camper

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Start Weight:226
  • Current Weight:131.4
  • Goal Weight:126
  • Surgery Date:12/29/2011

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

Hi all, Just thought I'd add my opinion to this no caffeine rule. My dietician has advised to avoid caffeine aswell as alcohol. The alcohol thing is not an issue because although i'm only 2 weeks out, drinking alcohol is the last thing I feel like doing. But the caffeine thing is a different matter. I wasn't a big coffee drinker before surgery, maybe 1 or 2 cups per day but I drank alot of pepsi max. Well for the week I was in hospital I suffered from severe headaches that really made my recovery extremely unpleasant. The first night I got home my sister made me a cup of coffee and without thinking I drank half of it. Well I was still wide awake at 2am and my muscles were having spasms. I decided to avoid caffeine again but the next day and following days the migraine type headache returned. I didn't think to assoicate the headaches with withdrawal from caffeine. I went to a chiroprator because I though my neck was out, neck was put back in but no relief from the headaches. These headaches were very debilitating and stopping me from concerntrating on my recovery from surgery. Then yesterday I had 2 sips of flattened pepsi max (my diet guidelines state that you can have diet soft drink as long as it's flat) and again last night was wide awake till early. So to cut my long story short, i've decided that I may going to have 1 cup of coffee a day as I can not tolerate these migraines and I can not guarentee that I will abstain from caffeine completely so I don't want to go through the withdrawals over and over again.

you can attempt to detox from the caffeine by drinking 1 cup a day and then going to half caf and then decaf.  eventually you can wean yourself off.   I only drink one cup a day of regular coffee, but after 24-36 hours with it I get a mild headache that lasts about 6 hours then is gone.  It IS possible to wean off of it, just give it some time.  The headache sucks, but if at the end of the weaning you still get one,  Tylenol helps greatly.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" --Gandhi

“When you walk to the edge of all the light you have known
and take that first step into the darkness of the unknown,
you must believe that one of two things will happen.
There will be something solid for you to stand upon
or you will be taught to fly.”
  --Patrick Overton

#18 Cxc422

Cxc422

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Fares
  • Hospital:Hopewell
  • Start Weight:278
  • Current Weight:152
  • Goal Weight:??
  • Surgery Date:06/10/2013

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

My doctor was fine with coffee, it was included in clear liquids as long as it was black.  I enjoyed some my second day in the hospital.

Currently I only drink black coffee or water, so coffee is my treat in the am.  If I drink it in the afternoon I do struggle getting to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------

2008 Self pay lap Band, insurance exclusion

2011-2013 Band complications

June 2013 Revision from Band to Bypass, covered by new insurance

1st goal:  Get below 200 .. . . . . . . . . . . . . ..  .Done 9/22/2013!!          2nd goal:  Get below low band weight . . . . . Done 10/6/2013!!                 3rd goal:  Get to "overweight"  185. . . . . . .  . Done 10/26/2013!!                4th goal:  Loose 100 lbs (178) . . . . . . . Done 11/16/2013

5th goal:  Get to "normal" weight range 149 . . ..  . . this one is going to take a while. . . . . 

6th goal:  See where this takes me

#19 sunnilove22

sunnilove22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Bowers
  • Hospital:Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:180
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:12/21/2012

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

I drink one cup of coffee 5 days a week at work. Sweeten with splenda and soy milk.  I didnt start until about 3 months out just to make sure I had been able to get all my water in. It can cause hunger and does make you pee more. But it helps keep me regular so the tiny bads are out weighed but the positives.

~Cassie

#20 JRH

JRH

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jeffrey Small
  • Hospital:Meritus Bariatric Surgery Center
  • Start Weight:350
  • Current Weight:205
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:11/21/2013
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

The only thing wrong with coffee once you are all healed up and have your food routine working is it will dehyrade you. That is a side-effect of caffeine. The stomach effects are minimal with a single cup a day like sunnilove22 posts above.

You just have to increase your water input to compensate.

My surg said that after I get out about 4 months, it would be ok to drink 1 cup a day, possibly 2, as long as I drink enough water to make up for what the caffeine takes out of my body.

Having been so involved in strength training prior to severe joint and other problems stopped me, water is something I learned to love. Its going to be a test to only drink little sips and I am practicing. But I'm used to slamming a pint of water in like 5 seconds and larger amounts as well. Even the sippy bottle on my weight machine got long pulls on it, and I'd empty it in 10 minutes and have to stop by the sink (filtered) for a refill at intervals during workout.

So drinking water is not gonna be a problem, there is nothing for me to become averse to, and I love it so much it would take a lot of hate to make me averse to it. LOL.

weight.png