Photo
- - - - -

4.5 years post-op with severe abdominal pain?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 margi53

margi53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Surgeon:Mr David Kerrigan
  • Hospital:Fazakerley Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:248
  • Current Weight:138
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:06/11/2006
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:52 AM

Hi,
I had my gastric bypass surgery in 2006, so it's been almost 5 years.
I acheived my target weight and feel fantastic!
However, since early 2009, I have been suffering from bouts of severe abdominal pain.
I've had my gall bladder out in 2009 and had other surgery to investigate the problem.
I've also had CT scans, MRI scans, ultrasounds, and regular blood tests but nothing has shown up.
I have been prescribed pain killers but I'm still suffering.
I don't know if this has anything to do with the surgery, but I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems and could maybe give me some help?
Thanks in advance.

#2 BethR.

BethR.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Ga
  • Surgeon:Bolar
  • Start Weight:330
  • Current Weight:108
  • Goal Weight:115
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):17.4
  • Surgery Date:11/30/2005

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

I had the same issue. It was horrid. GI study after GI study, scans, ultrasounds, etc.... NOTHING was to be found. So last May, I had to have a hystorectomy and prior to surgery my OBGYN said that he would look around while he was in there and see what he might be able to find that could be causing all the pain. Well, guess what he found? My intestine on the right side had twisted and folded over. It was causing a blockage (not a total blockage) but one that was not allowing things to move through like they should. He also found endometriosis (spelling) and ended up taking out my appendix as well while he was in there taking out my uterus and ovaries... Lol. I know, one wouldn't expect to have the OBGYN do such a thing but he was confident that if could find what was causing the pain he would be able to clear it up for me and he did. I have had little to NO pain for almost a year now. He was truly a God send for me. :)
~Mrs. Beth Rushing~
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#3 kelz684

kelz684

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Hospital:St. Barnabas
  • Start Weight:250
  • Current Weight:116
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Surgery Date:11/26/2007

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:17 AM

As not happy as I am to see people with complications, i am soooo glad there are more people coming around to talk about it. I would also look into a GYN issue, like BethR said. That is one thing they threw around and while there were some cysts that may/may not need to be taken care of eventually, it isn't something major. For me, right now my body needs to rest and heal up. I wouldn't be messing around with pain from 2009 though. I'd be at every doctor imaginable until I got an answer.

#4 margi53

margi53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Surgeon:Mr David Kerrigan
  • Hospital:Fazakerley Hospital
  • Start Weight:248
  • Current Weight:138
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:06/11/2006

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

Thank you both for your replies...
Sorry to hear that you had complications, but glad to know I'm not the only one with problems!
It was great to hear your stories, I'll bring both ideas up with my Dr soon :)

Edited by margi53, 14 May 2011 - 11:07 AM.

#5 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,452 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

I had my RNY in September 2007 and have subsequently had two abdominal surgeries. One because of severe abdominomal pain (had to have a benign omental mass, gallbladder and apendix removed) and the other because of hernias - both started laparoscopically but converted to open procedures because of scar tissue.

I've had several CT scans and a lower bowel series because of recurrent abdominal pain and at the time, they've showed a partial bowel blockage which the docs feel is caused by scar tissue.

Given the surgeries I've already had, the best option is to avoid further surgery unless absolutely necessary because although it'll clear up one lot of scar tissue, it's likely to generate more.

I have bouts of terrible pain that's landed me in the ER a further 4 times and admitted twice for observation and a 2 day nil by mouth diet until the partial bowel blockage cleared. Well - I can do that at home so I have oxycodone on standby and just watch for the symptoms of a full bowel blockage.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#6 SweetSouthern

SweetSouthern

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:357
  • Current Weight:153
  • Surgery Date:06/07/2006

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

I have always had abdominal pain since my surgery. I have learned to deal with it over the years. I did find out that part of my pain was from ulcers that I had developed in my pouch and I can tell when they start becoming irritated again and I have to really be careful what I eat at those times until the pain gets better over a week or so. I was also having very low abdominal pain off and on all through the month every month. Sometimes it would make me feel so bad that I just wanted to go to bed. I found out I had cancerous cervical cells last year and had to have cervical surgery and had to have my IUD removed and when the surgeon looked for it, it was NOT in my uterus! I also had my tubes tied at that time. He had given up on looking in the uterus after 15 mins for the IUD and he proceeded to do my tubal and he "by accident" saw something shining on the top of my uterus through the camera inserted into my abdominal wall. Guess what it was??? My IUD had perforated by uterine wall, migrated to the outside and was embedded in the top of it. Since he removed it, I have not had that severe lower abdominal pain anymore. But I do, however, still have the ulcer pain and horrible gaseous pain in my intestines. I also do not tolerate milk products very well at times, as I became lactose intolerant right after surgery and it has gotten better with time out from surgery and I can eat it most of the time now, but the pain from it when it does occur can be almost debilitating! I say be checked by a GYN and and start there. If no results, find you a good general surgeon that can find the source of your pain. I would be terrified to know I had a partial blockage and had to watch for symptoms of a complete blockage. I have always had a fear I would have a blockage since we are at such a higher risk since our surgery. I hope you get answers soon. It's horrible to have to live with pain. Keep us informed what you find out.

Edited by SweetSouthern, 16 May 2011 - 09:49 AM.

Official AlabamaSlammer Bear

Surgery - June 7, 2006 - 357 lbs

Now - Happy and 153 lbs! (204-lb weight loss)

Trina

#7 sdgrrl

sdgrrl

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

Adhesions are definitely the name of the game. I have had 4 obstructions and 2 emergency surgeries from them. Trina, it's so nice to 'see you' again, it's been so long! (I'm actually having a bit of trouble with the new format and don't like some of the changes that have been made here, but it certainly explains why so many good people have left the building.) :angry:
Donna the SDgrrl ;)
Happy to be a GrrzlyBear!

doing the best I can each day:o

Honor yourself, honor others, and honor the Earth...the rest will take care of itself

#8 brittany

brittany

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Wow! I got on here to ask the same question!!! Right side pain! Girlie parts gone, gallbladder gone, docs say there really isn't anything where I'm hurting. It shoots pain up into my right shoulder. All kids of test, blood work, can't find anything! Only thing not done is cut me open and look! Oh and my stomach bloats like I look pregnant.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gastric Bypass: 9/7/06 Dr. McCarty
240/215/139
biggest/surgery day/now

#9 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

At the 2 year mark, I was hospitalized three times and they couldn't find anything wrong with me.. I had x-rays, cat scan, MRI, 'Small Bowel Follow Through aka SBFT"<-- ouch and UGH,not fun as a post opper!) colonoscopy.. etc etc. finally they did a Camera Endoscope (I got to swallow a small camera like on House, lol)

From that and the SBFT, they were able to figure it out and I've been on meds to prevent my problem ever since... Have you had the camera endoscope yet? The camera takes 8 hours to move through your system, sending pictures to a receiver you wear like a belt/purse.. then you simply poo the camera out.... the most painfree test ever, aside of having to do a bowel prep, lol.

Good luck!

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#10 my.new.life

my.new.life

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationRockledge, FL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jonathan Raye
  • Hospital:Blount Memorial
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:289
  • Current Weight:145
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.7
  • Surgery Date:10/03/2006

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Over the past 2 years i have had battles with horrid horrid pain! I was told my stomach sits higher after RNY and the pain is in that area- feels like i have been sucker punched 30 times! It has landed me in the ER 4 times and having EVERY GI test imaginable and just like others on this forum- they think i'm just pill seeking! Last night was the worst- we had driven from GA to FL yesterday and last night just suddenly (as it usually comes on) the pain started this was about 830. as the night went on the pain got worse- as you all know we cannot throw up now- which i think is even worse than throwing up- i heaved for 15 minutes every hour!! this morning i was better- my throat hurt and my tummy felt like i had only had 10 sucker punches- and now- i'm fine. I also have 8 lbs that i cannot get to move- even running 4 miles EVERY day- think obstruction could add to that also!!
This forum and another website i stubbled on from google- i know this MUST be my problem! I have other episodes (at times other than the severe pain episodes) when it feels like right under my right rib cage something twists- usually when i'm bending down to get something and it is the worse pain ever--- but will eventually usually with stretching go away in about 3-4 minutes. Forums show poeple dying from this- now i'm scared and need the problem checked ASAP. NO- I'm not a fruit- i don't think i'm dying but as many of you know- i have this new fabulous life post weight loss- i just started enjoying---- don't want to think of it ending!!! We just moved to FL- close to Cocoa Beach- if anyone knows a good bariatric doc around i would appreciate the referral!

#11 toby7cat

toby7cat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Schrock
  • Hospital:Sacred Heart
  • Height (ft-in):5-11
  • Start Weight:720
  • Current Weight:259
  • Goal Weight:225
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):36.1
  • Surgery Date:11/14/2002

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'm not crazy!!! I had rny RNY10 years ago. In January 2007 I was hospitalized for severe abdominal pain and the again in 2008. Since the it's been intermittent but more intense and the bouts last longer. I've had GI studies, EGD, MRI, CT and ultrasound. Nothing shows up. I don't know what to do anymore. These attacks seem to come in swarms. They start just below the sternum and radiate out through my abdomen. It's debilitating.

Edited by toby7cat, 13 September 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#12 LisaM

LisaM

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationLongfellow, TX
  • Surgeon:Smith
  • Hospital:Park Plaza, Fort Worth
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:303
  • Current Weight:198
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):36.2
  • Surgery Date:09/26/2005

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

I have these painsas well, but left side under the sternum... I've landed in the ER about once every two years--they tell me I'm basically 24 hours from a bowel obstruction, and (sorry, turn away, TMI) HHH enemas are the only thing that stirs them (HHH = high, hot and a heck of a lot). I take Miralax every day to keep things moving, but eventually the system just starts slowing as things get caught... probably on a slightly twisted or restricted area of my intestine. The pain is debilitating, and always accompanied by a flood of sweat, literally dripping off my body while I writhe in pain. Horrible.
LisaH

Now... and then...
Posted Image

#13 QueenB

QueenB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Just throwing this out there, again, like I do everytime I see undiagnosed abdominal pain. Especially left side. I finally got tired of my pain and bloating and went to the ER last November even though I have little faith in the ER staff when it comes to being a bariatric patient. I was convinced I had an ulcer and that was exacyly what I told the Dr. He didn't do any GI tests- I got a overly cautious Dr, luckily, and he sent me for an immediate CAT scan after hearing my history of abdominal surgeries. I had a Petersen's Hernia. Had he done a barrage of GI tests before getting around to the CAT scan there is a good chance the bowel that was sliding throught the defect would have slid back through and not been detected. I had surgery to close the hernia in the Petersen's Cavity and a few other large internal hernia's he encountered while in there. Something to think on....I was very lucky they caught it and the radiologist knew something looked "wrong" and got second opinions. Good luck to you all!

:D QueenB :D

260/245/160/143
highest/suregery/goal/current

#14 Relovlee

Relovlee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Surgeon:Maj. Dock
  • Hospital:WPAFB.. Dayton, OH
  • Start Weight:246
  • Current Weight:143
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.9
  • Surgery Date:12/09/2008

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

I had this issue too 2 yrs post op.. Craziest thing. The pain was always on my left side, as soon as i turned on my side boom there it was sleeping or not. So many times i got up and stood beside my bed to sleep standing up then hubby got fed up and took me back to hospital. Pain was debilitating ER visits hubby got tired of cursing the staff out for not knowing what to do. After Endoscopy and exploratory surgery finally dr figured out my military dr.. reconnected my intestines at a 180degree angle so they were twisted and caused a blockage. I still occasionally have some pains but not half as bad as they were. Hope this helps someone
12/9/08-2nd B-day RNY
Highest/Day of Surgery/Current/Goal?
246/238.6/132/145 5ft6
:cool: 2nd goal 125lbs

"If I wouldv'e backed out then how would I have known whether it wouldv'e worked for me or not, dieting has proven itself to me,trust was lost in that relationship, goodbye yo-yoing"[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 toby7cat

toby7cat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Schrock
  • Hospital:Sacred Heart
  • Height (ft-in):5-11
  • Start Weight:720
  • Current Weight:259
  • Goal Weight:225
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):36.1
  • Surgery Date:11/14/2002

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

I see my surgeon next week. The last thing I want is to be opened up again. Both my RNY andy abdominoplasty almost killed me. I'm getting in trouble at work and to top it off, no one wants to give me pain meds until they know what it is. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

#16 Beebo

Beebo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Julie Kim
  • Hospital:Tufts NEMC
  • Start Weight:305
  • Current Weight:255
  • Goal Weight:190
  • Surgery Date:11/24/2008

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hi all!

I am having stomach pain.  It's not too debilitating, just very annoying.  I fill up on gas, look like I'm pregnant, have had constipation/diarrhea, and can barely eat anything.  I eat to not get sick as I have hypoglycemia and don't want to end up in the hospital with low blood sugar.  I have cut back on my food, eating as we all should - protein, veggies, fruit, and occasional crackers (to help with the upset stomach).  I had an ultrasound yesterday, so waiting for the results.  I had both a colonoscopy and endoscopy a couple of weeks ago - the doctor said everything looks great, my pouch appears fine. (I was diagnosed with h.pylori 4 years ago, after my surgery).  It's this gas pressure that is killing me.  I feel foggy, am extremely fatigued - I can sleep for 10-12 hours and still be exhausted to the point my fiance has had to drive me to work.  During my lunch break, I exercise - there is both a treadmill and eliptical machine that  I use, which helps relieve a small bit of the gas, but I am at a loss of what is going on.  I have also put on quite a bit of weight because of this - 20 lbs. in the past year, which my pcp said is highly unlikely with the restrictive portion size of our pouches.  It doen't matter what goes in my mouth, food or drink, I fill up on gas immediately. 

Has anyone had these symptoms?  I am curious to know what is going on and how to fix it.

Thanks and have a good one!

pre/current/goal
305/225/190

d.o.s.: 11/24/08

"Cultivate your curves - they may be dangerous but they won't be avoided" - Mae West

Live Love Laugh ;)

#17 goingtobethinin2010

goingtobethinin2010

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  • Surgeon:dr chistian mann
  • Hospital:nash surgical center
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:147
  • Goal Weight:155
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):44
  • Surgery Date:04/28/2010

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have had bloating and gas pains every few days really bad for a while and read some post that some have this reaction to using to much artifical sweetner and I have cut my 25 or so packs a day down to about 12 and I have not had any gas or bloating for a week now. It is something to try it was an easy fix for me and I would have never thought of this if I had not seen others post here about this issue. I used a lot of splender before surgery and it did not bother me but I do believe this was my problem and believe me the bloating and gas pains were painful not severe enough to go to the doctor over so for those of you will bloating and gas pains may want to look at this if you use a lot of artifical sweetners.
reached goal 4-30-11
height 5'7
Highest weight 280
Weight on day of surgery 269
Current weight 147
Goal weight 155
starting bmi 44
current bmi 23

#18 cutedame

cutedame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jeremy Koreman
  • Height (ft-in):4-07
  • Start Weight:290
  • Current Weight:180
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Surgery Date:08/02/2004

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hi all...I am new to the forum...8 years out...and going thru pouch pain..I started drinking coffee and am afraid I have ulcer..I am with Beebo and am going thru lots of gas and not sure what to do...also extremely hypoglycemic as well...so Beebo just checking in on your progress..any updates?

Thanks all!

#19 Beebo

Beebo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Julie Kim
  • Hospital:Tufts NEMC
  • Start Weight:305
  • Current Weight:255
  • Goal Weight:190
  • Surgery Date:11/24/2008

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

Hi Cutedame,

I am still going to the doctor's to find out what's going on.  I now have low blood pressure, so for the past 3 months I've had to go to the doctor's and have my blood pressure taken.  It went from a 90/50 to 98/60 this past time (last week 9/4/13), so she scheduled me for 3 months out.  If I have any more issues she is sending me to the kidney doctor to see if they are not working properly.  It's so frustrating and scary you know?  My blood sugar and blood pressure are low and drop but my weight keeps rising.  I am now, since my surgery 5 years ago, up almost 60 pounds.  I don't know what to do, as every one tells me to keep eating right, exercising, taking vitamins and calcium and I am doing all of that.  I either use regular sugar (very seldom) or truvia when I need a sweetener.  I mostly eat fresh fruit for any type of sweets.

But anyways, as for the hypoglycemia, my doctor sent me to a diabetic nutritionist who said I was on the right path.   If I do have any type of sweets, it's during the day and I have a piece of cheese with the sweet (mainly chocolate) to prevent my blood sugar from spiking then crashing.  That seems to help.  I have not had a hypoglycemic episode in a few months.

Good luck!

Edited by Beebo, 10 September 2013 - 05:25 AM.

pre/current/goal
305/225/190

d.o.s.: 11/24/08

"Cultivate your curves - they may be dangerous but they won't be avoided" - Mae West

Live Love Laugh ;)

#20 goshjosh

goshjosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Start Weight:302
  • Current Weight:169
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):n/a
  • Surgery Date:n/a

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

I am in agony. Even drinking water makes my stomach hurt. I can't eat without pain. I am nauseous and weak. I cannot do anything. Blood test doesn't show anything wrong so I am off to the G I doctor soon. I appreciate seeing that I have something to go on. I didn't have a clue until I came to this site. Thank you.